News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Front Dash

Started by Nat, April 10, 2016, 02:51:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nat

Hi,

I am trying to replace my front dash speaker and I am trying to replace as much as I can without having to head into a shop. I'm sure you have to unscrew the dash itself, with that being said. Are the screws on the front dash the only ones you need to unscrew? Then simply slide out the dash?

Might sound like a dumb question to a mechanic, but I'm a simple 20yr old trying to work on his first car!

Thanks in advance.

green69rt

Quote from: Nat on April 10, 2016, 02:51:07 PM
Hi,

I am trying to replace my front dash speaker and I am trying to replace as much as I can without having to head into a shop. I'm sure you have to unscrew the dash itself, with that being said. Are the screws on the front dash the only ones you need to unscrew? Then simply slide out the dash?

Might sound like a dumb question to a mechanic, but I'm a simple 20yr old trying to work on his first car!

Thanks in advance.

What year?  If it's a 68 to 70 Charger, then you can't get the front dash bolts out without taking the windshield out, so maybe try some other way.  If by hook or crook you did manage to get them out you'd never be able to get them back in correctly.   Maybe just abandon the old speaker in place and add some new ones in the kick panels or the doors.   Maybe even just hang it somewhere under the dash as long as it's out of the way of your feet.

And just so you'll know, there are two bolts (one at each end).  Once you remove the front screws and loosen the two end bolts the dash rotates on the two end bolts and then lifts out.  But there are other things under the dash that make this not so simple, defrost vent tubes, wiring, heater controls, etc,etc,etc.

I don't know if all this applies to other years  :shruggy:

birdsandbees

Remove the radio dash plate, then the radio and you should be able to get at the speaker from up and under the dash assembly. Two nuts.. is all that holds it in and a quick connect on the wires.
1970 'Bird RM23UOA170163
1969 'Bee WM21H9A230241
1969 Dart Swinger LM23P9B190885
1967 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S
1966 Plymouth Satellite HP2 - 9941 original miles
1964 Dodge 440 62422504487

Nat

What year?  If it's a 68 to 70 Charger, then you can't get the front dash bolts out without taking the windshield out, so maybe try some other way.  If by hook or crook you did manage to get them out you'd never be able to get them back in correctly.   Maybe just abandon the old speaker in place and add some new ones in the kick panels or the doors.   Maybe even just hang it somewhere under the dash as long as it's out of the way of your feet.

And just so you'll know, there are two bolts (one at each end).  Once you remove the front screws and loosen the two end bolts the dash rotates on the two end bolts and then lifts out.  But there are other things under the dash that make this not so simple, defrost vent tubes, wiring, heater controls, etc,etc,etc.

I don't know if all this applies to other years  :shruggy:

It's a '69 Charger B-body. I think you answered my question though. Thanks!

Nat

Quote from: birdsandbees on April 10, 2016, 06:00:00 PM
Remove the radio dash plate, then the radio and you should be able to get at the speaker from up and under the dash assembly. Two nuts.. is all that holds it in and a quick connect on the wires.

I was hoping to get it that way without the window removal, I'll give this one a shot. Thanks.

marshallfry01

Welcome to the club Nat! I'm 21 and have two 1970 chargers.  Nice to see another person close to my age that is into these old cars.  Good luck with your charger!  :2thumbs:
1969 Charger 383/auto
1969 Charger R/T 440/auto (waiting to be restored)
1972 Chevelle SS clone 383 sbc
1959 Chevy Apache short bed stepside
1968 Charger (glorified parts car)
Yes, I know I have too many cars. My wife reminds me daily.