News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

What battery are you guys using? Optima is in!

Started by b5blue, April 17, 2016, 05:07:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

b5blue

Well my battery is acting up so it's time for a new one. Just wondering what others are using and how they like them?  :scratchchin:  

Lennard

Optima Red top. I just bought a new one after my last one tapped out after 10 years.

b5blue

With my upgrades, 120amp Denso Alt. and the "Fleet upgrade" running a parallel 8ga. I just pulled the trigger on one for myself. Good to hear you like yours.  :2thumbs:
  Info reads it puts out more but also can handle being recharged faster, the Denso can put out 50-60 amps at idle.

Lennard

I don't know much about electrical stuff but any car battery that lasts 10 years is a great buy. I bought it in 2005 and it worked up until a month ago.  :2thumbs:

Charger4404spd

A383Wing

Interstate Group 27, just replaced the one in my black 66 that lasted 12 years

rebby

I just ordered a Red Top myself. The cheapie that I bought just to get the car up and running a few years back finally quit holding a decent voltage.
Curt Rebelein, Junior
1969 Charger R/T SE (500 Stroker/833/D60 w/XP VIN)
1969 Charger (440/727/8.75, GL Project)

c00nhunterjoe

Excide 31 series industrial battery in the trunk.

b5blue

The one in there now got worked really hard and left sitting much longer then ever planned while I changed stuff around. My old battery charger died a few months ago, guess I worked it too hard also!  :lol:

myk

What's the deal with the Optima batteries?  More CA?  Lighter weight?  Longer life?
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

Lennard

Quote from: myk on April 18, 2016, 06:00:38 AM
What's the deal with the Optima batteries?  More CA?  Lighter weight?  Longer life?
For me, zero maintenance (cause it's a gel battery) and the fact that it lasts ten years in the extreme heat of the Mohave desert where most car batteries last about 2 to 3 years.

rebby

Quote from: Lennard on April 18, 2016, 07:25:17 AM
For me, zero maintenance (cause it's a gel battery) and the fact that it lasts ten years in the extreme heat of the Mohave desert where most car batteries last about 2 to 3 years.

Same here. They tend to fare very well over winter storage as well (with a maintainer).
Curt Rebelein, Junior

b5blue

Check out the website and reviews on Amazon for a group 34

comet_666

mopar0166

optima is the best choice, well well worth the money :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs:

b5blue

Charger_Fan

I've heard on other forums were the Optima red top doesn't seem to be lasting as well as the same battery from about 5 years or older. Something about some cost cutting in the manufacturing process.
But I guess if you guys who are using them don't seem to be having issues, maybe it's not as big of an issue as I had been led to believe. :shruggy:

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

69wannabe

Group 27 super start extreme from o'reillys works fine for me.

b5blue

Quote from: Charger_Fan on April 19, 2016, 06:41:03 PM
I've heard on other forums were the Optima red top doesn't seem to be lasting as well as the same battery from about 5 years or older. Something about some cost cutting in the manufacturing process.
But I guess if you guys who are using them don't seem to be having issues, maybe it's not as big of an issue as I had been led to believe. :shruggy:

I see a separate switch on my battery charger for AGM type battery and extended warranty only available if purchased with Optima charger. I wonder if that's got anything to do with failures?

will

Group 27 Interstate, I get a discount locally.

myk

Not to sound racist, but production of the battery is now in Mexico.  People are claiming the standards have dropped as a result...
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

Charger_Fan

Quote from: b5blue on April 20, 2016, 04:16:33 AM
I see a separate switch on my battery charger for AGM type battery and extended warranty only available if purchased with Optima charger. I wonder if that's got anything to do with failures?
I could see that as being part of the issue, sure. 

Quote from: myk on April 20, 2016, 09:29:12 AM
Not to sound racist, but production of the battery is now in Mexico.  People are claiming the standards have dropped as a result...
Good, it wasn't received as racist.  :icon_smile_big: It was received as another quality product that is now being made in a country whose...ahh never mind, I don't wanna sound political. :lol:

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

Just 6T9 CHGR

Odyssey PC925

In its 9th year.  Noticed it was starting to crank a bit weak this season though....

Chris' '69 Charger R/T

b5blue

That battery came up on my search....at a much higher price point. The Optima looks like it's going to move the positive post a few inches in the direction I need to allow more cable to the mini starter as a side bonus for me, new correct cable came up a bit short for new starter.  :scratchchin: 

b5blue

Hey Wow the Optima came today... man with the new mini starter my 10 to 1 440 spins like mad! What a difference!  :2thumbs: I like this result.

Lennard

Charger_Fan

Quote from: Just 6T9 CHGR on April 20, 2016, 07:25:57 PM
Odyssey PC925

In its 9th year.  Noticed it was starting to crank a bit weak this season though....
Chris, that's a pretty neat setup! That outer battery "cover" looks completely legit, very cool. :2thumbs:

Just 6T9 CHGR

The battery was my old acid filled repro battery.   Took a lot of nasty work to get the acid, plates & plastic separators out.  well worth the effort though!
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Skull-1

Optima Red Top is the way to go.   They're not as good as they were ten years ago, but still the best thing out there.

I had one last 8 or 9 years in one of my Buicks.
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,6231.0.html

1969 Dodge Charger "Ol' Yeller"
1991 Buick Regal Custom
1992 Buick Regal Custom
1995 Buick Regal Gran Sport
1996 Buick Regal SE (R.I.P.)

myk

rebby

Quote from: myk on April 24, 2016, 10:09:00 AM
$210?!  Damn that's pricey...

I bought a 34R from Summit a few weeks back. It was $162 with free shipping. I went with the R to move the terminals a little closer to the fender.
Curt Rebelein, Junior

Skull-1

And worth every penny.

They used to be $119.  Thanks EPA!

You can get a coupon and order them cheaper from ADVANCE AUTO PARTS.

1991 Buick Regal Custom
1992 Buick Regal Custom

Skull-1

Quote from: Lennard on April 18, 2016, 07:25:17 AM
What's the deal with the Optima batteries?  More CA?  Lighter weight?  Longer life?

I don't think it is even gel.  It is some kind of impregnated fabric/fiberglass.   If you bust one open they're like paper on the inside.

1991 Buick Regal Custom
1992 Buick Regal Custom

Skull-1

They're not as good as they used to be, but they're better than any lead-acid battery I can think of.   And no corrosion.   That's important for our old machines.

1991 Buick Regal Custom
1992 Buick Regal Custom

Skull-1

Quote from: Charger_Fan on April 22, 2016, 06:35:34 PM
Quote from: Just 6T9 CHGR on April 20, 2016, 07:25:57 PM
Odyssey PC925

Chris, that's a pretty neat setup! That outer battery "cover" looks completely legit, very cool. :2thumbs:

I agree.  SWEET!    :2thumbs:

1991 Buick Regal Custom
1992 Buick Regal Custom

Lennard

I payed $150 for my Red top at a local battery shop.