News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Regulator question for upgraded alternator

Started by igozumn, April 18, 2016, 02:40:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

igozumn

In a couple of the discussions from all over the web that I've read, there was mention of putting a '70 and up voltage regulator in , when upgrading to a bigger amp alternator.  I'm already running a stock looking solid state regulator on my '69.  There isn't, or is there, any reason to convert to a '70 style regulator???  I'm assuming they were just talking about going from the original mechanical style regulator.
A man walks into a psychiatrist's office wearing nothing but underpants made from saran wrap.  The psychiatrist says, "Well....I can clearly see your nuts...."

Pete in NH

The 69 and earlier alternators have a single field connection and the other end of the field coil is grounded internally in the alternator. If you are going to use a newer higher amperage alternator that has two field connections you will want to go with the newer 70 and up electronic regulator.

I know some one out there will say yes, but you can ground one field terminal of the newer two field alternator and use your 69 regulator. This is true, however, many of the new 69 and earlier regulators that are electronic types can only supply a certain maximum amount of field current before they will over heat and fail. Bigger alternator= more field current, so you are better off going to the newer regulator type.

igozumn

Good info.  I'm already running a squareback, so I've had to ground the other field since, oh, about 1989-1990 on my previous '69.
A man walks into a psychiatrist's office wearing nothing but underpants made from saran wrap.  The psychiatrist says, "Well....I can clearly see your nuts...."