News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

73 charger 340 runs great then shuts down and won't restart

Started by chargerbob73, April 18, 2016, 05:37:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chargerbob73

Hi guys I have a 73 Dodge Charger 340 it's been in the garage for the winter I go out and start it up once a month it starts up and runs fine for about 5 minutes and then it just shuts down and will not restart then if I go back a couple weeks later it'll start up and the same thing shuts down after 5 minutes I'm thinking it's electrical something warming up and failing I'm not sure any help would be appreciated.

XH29N0G

I'll start by saying I don't have a good idea, but others will.  You think it is electrical.  If that is the case, then I assume you will lose spark.  Do you have any indication that it is losing spark after being warmed up?  If it were fuel related, I would assume you could start it (or at least get it to catch by putting a small amount of fuel in.  This could probably be done with the accelerator pump manually, to watch, and then seeing if it will catch (at all). 
Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....

Pete in NH

Hi,

When it shuts down you might try pulling the coil wire out of the distributor car center tower and cranking the engine while holding the center wire near the engine block. That will tell you if you have spark or not. If still have a good spark its likely a fuel issue of some type. If you don't have spark you will know where to start looking. A 73 should have Chryslers electronic ignition system. You could have a bad ECU, pick up coil or ballast resistor.

chargerbob73

Thank you I am going to check it this weekend, I'll let you know.