News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Remote push button switch

Started by GN, April 23, 2016, 02:51:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GN

On my 74 318 I installed a push button starter. I connected 1 wire from screw in or lower terminal on the starter relay to the button switch and 1 wire from the upper terminal  (one with the nut) to a in line fuse to the push button.  I did this because my starter switch must be bad. When the starter switch is in the run position I use the button to start it. My question is if this an ok fix? No problem with melted wires or worse? The fuse is a 15 amp.

John_Kunkel

Shouldn't be a problem but I'd find out why the normal switch doesn't work. Have you checked the seat belt interlock and/or the NSS?

If the seat belt interlock is the fault you should be able to push the red button on it and get it to start normally one time. If the interlock box is defective you can snip the two yellow wires going into the unit and spliced them together to deactivate the interlock.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

GN

Thanks, the interlock was disabled by a previous owner.

John_Kunkel

Be sure the yellow wire on the starter relay is getting power with the switch in the Start position, if it is, remove the brown wire from the starter relay (terminal labeled "G") and ground the terminal. If it will turn over with the G terminal grounded, the problem is the NSS or the wiring. 
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

GN

I did replace the nss. I believe it is the ignition switch. I have the push button in place now,  until I get time maybe this fall to replace it. I just wanted to make sure that no damage will happen.