News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

General Lee / Dukes guys I need your help!

Started by marshallfry01, April 25, 2016, 09:16:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

marshallfry01

I have a beat up door off of my 70 charger.  It's in pretty rough shape so I want to paint it orange with an 01 and make it look like it came off of a wrecked General Lee.  (I need some wall art in my shop.)  I'm prolly gonna go with hemi orange but I need the measurements for the 01 on the passenger side door. I'm pretty picky when it comes to the accuracy of the 01's so I want it to be just like the ones seen on the show.  It does not matter if it's the 1st season or 7th season style.  I looked on the Confederate General Lee Fan Club because there used to be a video of someone showing the measurements of the 01 from a real (California style) General.  That website has turned into a freakin ghost town and the video can no longer be viewed. 

Anyway, sorry for such a long request.  If anyone has some kind of a picture with the measurements please post it up!  :2thumbs:

Thanks,
Marshall 
1969 Charger 383/auto
1969 Charger R/T 440/auto (waiting to be restored)
1972 Chevelle SS clone 383 sbc
1959 Chevy Apache short bed stepside
1968 Charger (glorified parts car)
Yes, I know I have too many cars. My wife reminds me daily.

Mike DC

If you want an "average" GL look?  Not too specific about which season of the show, etc?  Try this -

Black areas of the digits:
Total height: 18 inches. 
black lines - 3.5 inches wide.

White outlines:  1/2 wide everywhere. 

Total height of the numbers, including white outlines: 19" high. 

"1" -
The whole "1" is 11.5 inches across, including the white outlines.  the black areas are 3.5 wide in the middle (vertical) bar, and the horizontal black parts stick out sideways from the middle are another 3.5 inches wide (both top and bottom).

"0" -
the corners are not 45 degrees.  More like 35 degrees.  Like the O's on the famous huge Hollywood sign in the Los Angeles hills. 
Make the center orange hole 4" across.  So the whole number comes out 13" across, including the white outlines. 

Spacing/locations:   
there was WA-A-AY too much variation in the TV series to call it. 
Laterally, put both digits somewhere between the door handle & the scallops on the door skin.  If you put 4" of orange gap in between the two digits it would be ballpark.  As for vertical spacing, leave 2" of orange space below the numbers before the bottom edge of the door skin. 

marshallfry01

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on April 26, 2016, 03:58:28 AM

If you want an "average" GL look?  Not too specific about which season of the show, etc?  Try this -

Black areas of the digits:
Total height: 18 inches. 
black lines - 3.5 inches wide.

White outlines:  1/2 wide everywhere. 

Total height of the numbers, including white outlines: 19" high. 

"1" -
The whole "1" is 11.5 inches across, including the white outlines.  the black areas are 3.5 wide in the middle (vertical) bar, and the horizontal black parts stick out sideways from the middle are another 3.5 inches wide (both top and bottom).

"0" -
the corners are not 45 degrees.  More like 35 degrees.  Like the O's on the famous huge Hollywood sign in the Los Angeles hills. 
Make the center orange hole 4" across.  So the whole number comes out 13" across, including the white outlines. 

Spacing/locations:   
there was WA-A-AY too much variation in the TV series to call it. 
Laterally, put both digits somewhere between the door handle & the scallops on the door skin.  If you put 4" of orange gap in between the two digits it would be ballpark.  As for vertical spacing, leave 2" of orange space below the numbers before the bottom edge of the door skin. 

Perfect! That's exactly what I was needing.  Thanks bud!  :2thumbs:
1969 Charger 383/auto

rebby

Look into the paint color as well. Hemi Orange isn't going look "correct" for a GL. I painted mine Corvette Flame Red over a light grey primer and it came out PERFECT. Good luck with your project!
Curt Rebelein, Junior
1969 Charger R/T SE (500 Stroker/833/D60 w/XP VIN)
1969 Charger (440/727/8.75, GL Project)

Mike DC

"1974-76 Corvette Orange Flame/Flame Red" is just about dead-on to a Home Depot orange bucket.  
(Just those plastic 5-gallon buckets in particular.  Some other Home Depot orange shades on the logos/etc are too yellowish.)

You could do worse than Allis Chalmers rattle-can orange.  

marshallfry01

Alrighty... I'll look into the 1975 corvette flame red. It doesn't have to be perfect. I'll go with whatever orange is the cheapest.
1969 Charger 383/auto

Mike DC

When buying 'Vette Flame Red paint you need to make goddamn sure they get the year right.  

All 3 of these colors are called "Flame Red" by GM.  
Aside from Dukes/General Lee fans, the orange-ish one from the 1970s seems to be the least commonly known:

1968:

1975:

1999:

Brock Lee

One of the paint companies has changed its name in the computers to "Orange Flame". So when you request 1975 Flame Red Code 70, it will actually come up on their screens and print off the label as "Orange Flame"..

Mike DC

Yeah that was an alternate title for the 1970s shade.  I got into the habit of using that name when talking about the color just to fight confusion. 

Most paint shop guys seem to jump to the original 1960s "Corvette Flame Red" shade if you don't specify a year.  Some of them are surprised when you bring the 1970s orange version to their attention.  Sorta like how there is more than one "Hugger Orange" shade in the books but everyone recognizes that name as the muscle-era version first and foremost.