News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

How hard is it to replace the window felts on a 68 Charger?

Started by triple_green, March 12, 2016, 12:46:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

triple_green

Some of my front window felts have rotted away. What is involved in changing those our?

I think I have an extra set from my old 69, but here else do I get them?

Thanks!
68 Charger 383 HP grandma car (the orignal 3X)

Charger-Bodie

Not too bad of a job if you take your time. Top cat brand only. No other brands that I've seen are even close to correct.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

69bfan

I assume that you have some type of felts on the car presently.  With the glass rolled up and the door panels removed, you will be able to reach up into the area that the felts are attached for the outer felts.  The outer felts are held in place with clips with what I will call three fingers.   Use thin blade screw driver and pry the fingers away from the body.  This is a interference fit, so they are tight and will take a bit to move the tempered fingers of the clips.  Once you have the clips all sprung backwards you can roll the glass back down.  Now rock the outer felts out of the slotted areas where the fingers attach.  Be careful as the clips can be sharp and will cut the paint as you remove them from the body.  This process works on both the door and quarter outer felts.  To reinstall the outside felts, align the fingers with the reliefs and carefully push them into the cutouts.  Try working the entire length at the same time slowly and with even pressure and they will pop right in place.  The inner felts for the Chargers are attached to the door pads.  They were originally attached with metal staples.  You can go the route of using the metal staples by laying the door pads out with the new felts positioned on the pad.  Use small C-clamps or such device and you are wanting to mark the location where the original staples penetrated the pads.  Mark that area on the new felts and you can then drill a small hole for each area that the original staples penetrated the felts and pad.  Once all of the holes are drilled, place back onto the pad and clamp in place with your C-clamps or similar devices.  Push the staples through the felts into the pad.  Once they are pushed through, push down tight and bend them over basically duplicating the factory style.  It is time consuming, but works very well.  Another alternative is to clamp the felts onto the door pads as we discussed earlier.  Again with a small drill bit, drill a small hole through the felt into the door pad.  Using a pop rivet in size equivalent to the drill bit, attach the felts to the pad.  Make sure that there is no sharp areas where the stud of the rivet breaks off.  If possible get black rivets or dab a bit of black paint onto the head so that it is not quite as obvious.  I have also had some customers who have also glued them into place as well. 
As also suggested, use the Top Cat brand as Dave and I have over 20 years in working on perfecting these.  They are not NOS, but they are very nice and are much more correct than the squeege style window sleeps.  I would say that at least 50% of my Charger customers only purchase the outers as the inners typically do not wear as bad and the outers are much easier to replace.  Any other questions, just ask as we want to support the customers purchasing the Top Cat window felts.
Restoration Parts and Materials
Weatherstripping is our specialty, but we stock a wide assortment of restoration needs.
www.restorationpartsandmaterials.com

mopar0166

Great stuff, I had to take the rear panels off last night to run wires and the outter fell apart which lead into trying to replace them last night with part that I have been sitting until I were to take everything apart.

the clips didn't line up all and it became very frustrating, if this top cat set is good then ill have to look into it today.

UH60L

I'm getting ready to install my side glass on my '69.  To clarify, the only ones that were/are stapled on are the back window inners, correct?

In looking at my doors and felts it appears that both sides on the door are held in with clips.

I have a set of the top cat felts that I bought back in 2008, so far they look like a good fit. 

Charger-Bodie

The info you stated is correct.

The inner ones if in good condition can be reused. I've done this in the past.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

mopar0166

Got the  Top cat brand  kit yesterday, one hour all done and replaced.  very nice product