News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

1968 AM radio

Started by VegasCharger, May 04, 2016, 12:05:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VegasCharger

I have a factory AM radio for my 1968 Charger. It's Dodge Solid State Bendix 2.5 watts, what would be the model number? My sticker is torn off. I'm considering having Wards restore it.

Pete in NH

Hi,

A 68 B body 2 1/2 AM radio should be a Bendix Model 252, Mopar part number 2884062.

VegasCharger

Quote from: Pete in NH on May 04, 2016, 08:14:58 AM
Hi,

A 68 B body 2 1/2 AM radio should be a Bendix Model 252, Mopar part number 2884062.

Thanks Pete :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Do you know if Wards is a reputable radio repair service?

john108

He repaired my '68 Charger R/T Radio.
All the plastic gears were broken.
Mechanically it appears all fixed.
I understand that the electronics is easy to fix so I assume that all is good.
I am not sure how to go about testing it now.
I assume an antenna and 12 volts to the right wire, and a speaker.

John_Kunkel

I don't know about your area, but there is absolutely nothing on AM radio in my area that I care to listen to.

You might consider an FM/Stereo conversion of your existing radio rather than having it repaired. They can even add IR remote, MP3 inputs and the outside still looks original.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

john108

Brock Lee

If you are not interested in converting it, and the gears in it are good, I would just go through it myself. There are maybe $10-15 worth of electrolytic capacitors in it. Those are what leak, dry out, go bad. The chrome and plastic lens can be polished. A little grease on the gears and moving parts inside, spray out the pots..it will be good to go with about 1-2 hours of your time.

VegasCharger

Quote from: john108 on May 12, 2016, 03:03:25 PM
For $600+

:iagree:

My goal is to have a working AM radio accompanied with the dash frame 4x10 speaker. This is so that I can put my dash frame back in place and not have to worry about digging out the radio at a later date. There are some AM stations that I listen to, sports talk radio basically. I will end up having a separate sound system that will be hidden somehow.

Although it's nice to have, the option of me having my stock AM radio converted to having FM, more amperage and an IPOD outlet is not in my interest. I've seen a video of one that was converted. You have to click it on and off twice fast to switch from AM to FM. Then you have to do this and that and this and that to operate the unit. Next thing you know you're looking up and bam!!! Head on collision. No thanks.

My mechanicals are fine just the electronics need refurbished.

Brock Lee

It is just a dozen small capacitors and a little cleaning. Look for the Photofact for your radio on ebay. It will have your entire radio disassembled in photos with all the parts listed and described as well as all service information. I would throw a scan up here, but I only have AM/FM and 8 track versions.

You can even recone your speaker. However the premade kits I have found need some major tweaking to work. It isn't easy, so I would skip that or let someone else do it. But the radio part is stupid simple.

John_Kunkel

Quote from: john108 on May 12, 2016, 03:03:25 PM
For $600+

Got mine done for $400 but, for some, it's not worth it.....I understand.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.