News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

1970 Tailights question and other misc stuff

Started by crj1968, May 05, 2016, 10:52:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crj1968

Working on my dash wiring.... So much crap back there from old stereo installs etc, but slowly getting it sorted out Have a few questions (this is on a 70 Charger)

1. brake lights ?  right now I get the outer 4 for brakes and the inner ones for running lights. seems I should get all 6 for taillights and out 4 for brakes, yes?

2. Back of gauge cluster is a thing that looks like a condenser. What does it do? Mine was/is unplugged

3. Pink wire to brake switch hot in and another hot branches off of it...I'm guessing to a switch for E-brake?  I don't see one though.

4. Anyone know how the clock gets power?...mine started working last time I was under there, but now it stopped again. looks like a blue wire maybe going all the way to fuse box?

Thanks!

rebby

1. IIRC, that is correct. Outer bulbs are 1157, inner pair are 67.
2. On the 68/69 there is a Voltage Regulator (square box) under the gauge light next to the speedo. There is also a capacitor connected to this under the 4 gauge connector panels. I haven't worked with a 70 cluster but I'd assume that they're similar and that you're referring to the capacitor.
3. Hmm, possibly. I'd have to refer to a 70 wiring diagram to be sure.
4. Again, I'm more versed w/the 68/69 but I'm sure that they're similar. On my 69 the blue wire is a switched hot for the Tach. The clock wire is always hot (as opposed to switched) and I believe that the wire is grey.

I have a 69 wiring diagram on my website which may be somewhat helpful if you can't find one for a 70.
Curt Rebelein, Junior
1969 Charger R/T SE (500 Stroker/833/D60 w/XP VIN)
1969 Charger (440/727/8.75, GL Project)

crj1968

Thanks- Maybe it's just a goofy bulb issue.

Yes the capacitor thing (round) one wire in and connected to back of cluster on other side. What it it's purpose?

Clock should be easy enough to figure out. Im running an MSD 6 so I think I need some sort of adapter for the stock tach.

Thanks for the responses !

rebby

I'm not 100% sure what the cap is for. Hopefully someone else will chime in on that.

You do need to have the Tach adjusted for the MSD. I had my entire gauge cluster, Tach included, restored and calibrated by Gary @ tachman.com
Curt Rebelein, Junior

lukedukem

1969 Charger XP29F9B226768
1981 CJ7 I6 258ci
2016 F150, 5.0, FX4, CC

crj1968

Yeah thanks man- I saw that diagram also. It's pretty a pretty busy drawing. The thing that sucks about electrical dash work is everything is so damn hard to get to....and I really dont feel like pulling glass and removing the dash....maybe next winter

It only shows 2 bulbs for tail lights like a 68. But also shows lit up markers.   :shruggy:

rebby

Electrical in the dash is actually pretty easy if you're willing to pull the gauge cluster. Pulling the gauge cluster isn't that difficult either. I've had more success pulling the gauge cluster with the dash pads removed (these come off pretty easy, a few speed nuts on the backside). Once you have the gauge cluster out, the majority of the wiring harness is pretty easy to get to.

With the gauge cluster in though, yep, it's a PITA to get at parts of it.
Curt Rebelein, Junior

crj1968

Yeah for sure- I dropped the column and pulled the cluster definitely makes things easier. 

Previous owner ripped a hole in the glove box for EZ fuse access - so thats cool.  :rotz: