News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

what aftermarket rpm tachometer you guys use?

Started by cavemanno1, May 09, 2016, 12:43:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cavemanno1

In my '68 r/t 4 speed have only the clock and i really wanted to get a tick toc tach.However i can not justify spending 400 bucks to just see a little needle when revving the engine so i though going with some aftermarker gauge.
I have seen some restorations with them but i wanted to get your view on them.I ust would like to get a gauge that matches somehow the speedometer so it should have black face and white arm.Is there anything out there that matches up nicely?

Thank you!

Peter

BLK 68 R/T

How about one of these? They are quite a bit cheaper than the tic-toc-tach and are compatible with stock or electronic ignition.

http://www.classicindustries.com/product/mopar/parts/mb320.html

mopar0166

cavemanno1

Quote from: BLK 68 R/T on May 09, 2016, 10:21:24 AM
How about one of these? They are quite a bit cheaper than the tic-toc-tach and are compatible with stock or electronic ignition.

http://www.classicindustries.com/product/mopar/parts/mb320.html

Actually this is I was looking at and wanted ask if I'd need a different circuit board or I can use the same one as my clock or need another one just like for a tick tick to!

Thanks guys!

BLK 68 R/T

You should not need to get another circuit board unless the one you have currently on your gauge cluster is damaged. The tach should just be a bolt in, hook up the wires and go as it has a separate circuit board already built into it.

cavemanno1

XH29N0G

One other thought,  I had a clock delete car and did not want my cheap tach strapped to the steering wheel, so I drilled out the clock delete plate (it looks like you can buy these as reproduction places for  less than $20) took the tach I had out of its case, and used the clock delete plate to mount it.  It is non stock, but it is not that noticeable, and does what I want. 
Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....

lukedukem

Quote from: XH29N0G on May 09, 2016, 03:07:13 PM
One other thought,  I had a clock delete car and did not want my cheap tach strapped to the steering wheel, so I drilled out the clock delete plate (it looks like you can buy these as reproduction places for  less than $20) took the tach I had out of its case, and used the clock delete plate to mount it.  It is non stock, but it is not that noticeable, and does what I want. 

Pics?

Luke
1969 Charger XP29F9B226768
1981 CJ7 I6 258ci
2016 F150, 5.0, FX4, CC

XH29N0G

Here are the pictures.  If you examine closely, the pictures don't show it well, you can see how it is kluged together, but at quick glance, and driving, it is not something I have noticed.  I would probably use a different tach to start with if I had known I would have done this.  
Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....

lukedukem

Looks great. You have LEDs in your dash. I do to.

Luke
1969 Charger XP29F9B226768
1981 CJ7 I6 258ci
2016 F150, 5.0, FX4, CC