News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Changing from 3 wire alternator to a 1 wire alternator wiring question

Started by WHITE AND RED 69, May 11, 2016, 04:56:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WHITE AND RED 69

When swapping from a dual field alternator with a 1970-up style external voltage regulator to a 1 wire internal voltage regulated alternator what do you need to do with the wires to the old voltage regulator? Do they get spliced together or just left disconnected?   :shruggy:

1969 Dodge Charger R/T
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee 75th edition
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1972 Plymouth Duster

rebby

I'd just leave them disconnected.

At the regulator, the Dk Grn F wire could simply be cut it out of the harness as it's no longer being used. The Dk Blu IGN wire actually splices into the ballast resister feed, if you find exactly were, you could cut that out as well.

At the alternator, the Dk Grn feeds back to the regulator (see above). The Dk Blu wire feeds back to the same harness as the resister feed. Take the above suggestions and repeat on this end.

Alternatively, you could just snip the wires where they sit, insulate them really good, and tape them into the harness right there. The Dk Grn wire will just be a short run of useless wire. The Dk Blu wire will be hot though, be sure to keep that from grounding out.
Curt Rebelein, Junior
1969 Charger R/T SE (500 Stroker/833/D60 w/XP VIN)
1969 Charger (440/727/8.75, GL Project)

mopar0166

yeah when I did that I was running an MSD which is a little different

but you will love not have a external regulator and ballast

WHITE AND RED 69

Thanks guys!  :cheers:  I've got an MSD box already hooked up with the ballast bypassed so I think the best thing is to just leave them disconnected and taped up.
1969 Dodge Charger R/T
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee 75th edition
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1972 Plymouth Duster

rebby

Quote from: WHITE AND RED 69 on May 12, 2016, 06:17:05 PM
Thanks guys!  :cheers:  I've got an MSD box already hooked up with the ballast bypassed so I think the best thing is to just leave them disconnected and taped up.

Prefect! You should be set then.
Curt Rebelein, Junior
1969 Charger R/T SE (500 Stroker/833/D60 w/XP VIN)
1969 Charger (440/727/8.75, GL Project)