News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Who can recommend an electric cooling fan for 440 w A/C? (New fan running.)

Started by b5blue, May 14, 2016, 03:53:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

myk

"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

b5blue

The fan came with the kinda tie wrap things you mount through the core. (So it's directly mounted.) What's cool is the mounting ears on the fan are such that 4 rubber pads will fit in recesses for push/pull mounting to cushion attachment.
  I farted around with making brackets or a shroud but there is so little room I just gave up. A flat shroud would block off airflow and brackets would move the fan back reducing suction through the radiator and hence the A/C's condenser. Today is test drive day so we will see how it fairs just driving around in traffic. If it passes I'll complete A/C install and charge it with R134 for more testing. 

b5blue

Thanks Ron this fan is working so well I need to readjust temp. switch higher. It's holding the temp. at 170 steady regardless of any operating condition.  :2thumbs: This bodes well for being okay for the A/C system as this testing is done with the condenser in place blocking airflow to the radiator. I may fart around with wiring/switching for high/low if high isn't needed all the time.
  Again this fan is attached with supplied through the radiator straps with no type of shrouding. You can't hear it running over the general 440 operating engine noise.

firefighter3931

Excellent Neal ! That fan is a winner....I love it on my car  :icon_smile_cool:

Hopefully with the A/C running it will still be able to keep up. If it can cool a Roots supercharged 500in build (Steve) and my N/A 572 street beast....you should be fine. It's looking very encouraging so far !  :2thumbs:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

b5blue

My only worry is it being attached directly to my getting kinda old Modine 3 row brass radiator. Will it support over time?  :scratchchin: I've got my eye on a nice aluminum replacement just in case, it has side flanges that will adapt to better mounting.
  I'll know soon the A/C is under vacuum test right now. 

firefighter3931

Quote from: b5blue on June 18, 2016, 10:42:57 AM
  My only worry is it being attached directly to my getting kinda old Modine 3 row brass radiator. Will it support over time?  :scratchchin: I've got my eye on a nice aluminum replacement just in case, it has side flanges that will adapt to better mounting.
  I'll know soon the A/C is under vacuum test right now. 

Mine is attached the same way yours is and has been for 4-5 years. No problems so far. I'm using an aftermarket aluminum AFCO crossflow rad with dual 1.25in tubes.  :yesnod:

Keep us posted on your progress  ;)

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Charger4404spd

Quote from: firefighter3931 on June 18, 2016, 10:14:04 AM
Excellent Neal ! That fan is a winner....I love it on my car  :icon_smile_cool:

Hopefully with the A/C running it will still be able to keep up. If it can cool a Roots supercharged 500in build (Steve) and my N/A 572 street beast....you should be fine. It's looking very encouraging so far !  :2thumbs:

Ron

Just back from Hot Rod Reunion in Bowling Green. Thursday was 107° and in traffic with several red lights my car got up to 210°. So I think it will be fine :2thumbs:

b5blue

Okay it's holding temp at 185* driving with A/C on in normal traffic. Yesterday was only 87* outside so not a test of the tipping point yet. The A/C is working hard with no interior in the car. Boy the tunnel and floors get really hot! No wonder I've been miserable now that feel the difference by running A/C.
  It's working, A/C blows cold and engine temp in range so I'll work on insulating the cabin/floors. 

myk

"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

John_Kunkel

Quote from: b5blue on June 20, 2016, 05:43:08 AM
Okay it's holding temp at 185* driving with A/C on in normal traffic. Yesterday was only 87* outside so not a test of the tipping point yet. 

Is the alternator keeping up?
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

b5blue

John the Denso Alt. is doing good. Tested to 60amps @ idle and careful to wire things to keep large draws out of the factory dash harness it's doing fine. The 18.00 thermal switch controls 2 40amp relays, one for low and one for high legs of the motor. The actual fan "draw" running looks to be about 35amp near as I can tell.
  MYK the car never had cooling issues before and even pumping heat out of the cabin with the condenser in front of the radiator blocking air flow plus adding heat the fan is keeping up okay. I'll be watching all the gauges for any sign of trouble being I changed so much.  :2thumbs:

myk

Sounds like you've got it all sorted out, but why did you switch to an e-fan if you didn't have cooling issues before?  Question about you guys with electric fans though: why is it that some fans need controllers but others are OK to be installed with just a relay?  Or do you need both?  I was thinking about en e-fan like that Rainbow one but I don't want to install the controller and all that stuff.  Can't I just connect it to a relay and switch like my current electric pusher fan?  Or does the dual speed nature of the Rainbow fan need a controller?

b5blue

My big flex fan was too big, it would have hit the compressor clutch. It worked great for 21 years with no shroud. Sorting out a new high capacity fan/mounting/shroud turned into a complicated crap shoot. What fits and then will it work?  So by adding A/C I started the "change one thing and everything changes" chain of events.
  Many years ago I solved the weak alt. output @ idle by installing a Denso that puts out 60amp @ idle if needed so I knew for my build adding an e-fan was no problem. However finding a quality high CMF fan was. USAF trained in electronics and installs I know what to look for and what to do but needed real world feedback first. Controllers get costly fast and if they fail then what? By building my own I can "over rate" and make fixable. Using a temp. switch that is rated for a smaller 18amp fan to turn on a relay that uses .6amp means it should never wear out. The 2 relays control about 25amp but are rated for 40amp each. (At startup, at speed running about 18amps.) See the "over rating"? The capacity of each part is near double or much more than actual load it will ever see. I did likewise for the ignition, e-choke and A/C power supply. You can just use your switch to control one or two relays if you add a big fan/fans.  :2thumbs:

myk

Ok then.  I want to control the fan on my own with a simple toggle switch, stupid as that sounds...

b5blue

Right but have the switch control a relay. That way you don't run a high amp wire into and out of your dash. You use a much shorter run to turn the fan on that is much better electrically. The longer a wire the bigger it must be to handle the power load, fans use a lot.

b5blue

Fan still working but stuck in stop and go traffic yesterday temp creeped up to about 200-210 with A/C running. Outside temps in 90's with feels like temp over 100. We are getting into the "Dog Days" of summer here so here comes the acid testing of cooling capacity. I watched my gauge closely and left the A/C on, it never got higher so things are close to balance.  :2thumbs:

b5blue

Okay I've got a P2998326-001 shroud, Hayden 2747 clutch and Derale 17119 fan to install. This setup should fit and still clear A/C compressor, my initial problem. I'll run test with just this before putting the electric fan up front as a pusher.  :scratchchin: 

303 Mopar

Quote from: b5blue on August 18, 2016, 05:52:07 AM
Okay I've got a P2998326-001 shroud, Hayden 2747 clutch and Derale 17119 fan to install. This setup should fit and still clear A/C compressor, my initial problem. I'll run test with just this before putting the electric fan up front as a pusher.  :scratchchin: 

Post a pic of that set up installed please.
1968 Charger - 1970 Cuda - 1969 Sport Satellite Convertible

b5blue

This fits but again rubs front of A/C clutch.  :brickwall: This crap is making me nuts...putting electric back so no pics.

b5blue

Ordered a Derale 19118 fan. Thinner and a fixed design I'll try spacing it just right. With the car in daily use this is getting to be a pain in the butt.  :lol:
http://derale.com/derale-blog/2-uncategorised/133-19118