News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

bad Voltage regulator ground

Started by chargerjy9, May 16, 2016, 08:18:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chargerjy9

pulled car out of storage, had to jump start it, drove home, put on trickle charger. Started car, fired right up. drove it,parked it for 2 hours, started right up again. on way home noticed turn signals were sluggish and h lights were dimming, Alt gauge showed discharging at idle. got home put in garage wouldn't start. hooked up battery tester batt showed OK, Alternator showed OK. Batt and alt relatively new.. thinking was bad Volt reg. took it off. Self tapping screw upper right was loose wouldn't tighten.(each of the attachment screws is a different size BTW.) Is that a ground for the V reg? can I use a bigger self tapping screw that will tighten more securely, or might there be a different issue?
1973 Dodge Charger SE 400 4 bbl,727, survivor
1977 AMC Pacer original
2011 Dodge charger R/T Max

PlainfieldCharger

You should remove the voltage reg from the firewall and clean any rust or paint under the mounting points. If the screw is stripped out maybe you could put a 1/4 bolt in it with a nut on the back to make sure it does not come loose(go in though the glove box opening). I personally ran a separate ground wire from the back of the intake manifold directly to the Reg.
What was the voltage at the battery while it is running?

71 SE3834V

Is it the 3rd gen in your avatar?
Yes it needs to be grounded well. One of mine was stripped also but rather than going to a larger screw I added a nut to the back side as mentioned. There is access to the backside through the cowl screen. Easy.

Yeah, weird. Mine had 2 different sizes of heads on the screw also.
71 Charger SE 383 4V
72 Galaxie 500 400 2V

John_Kunkel

When you encounter a stripped out sheet metal screw it's best to install a nut insert in place of the hole. Kits to install them are available from Harbor Freight.

http://www.harborfreight.com/45-piece-threaded-insert-riveter-kit-1210.html
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.