News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Looking for best carb replacement - 383

Started by thepowertowin, May 17, 2016, 09:11:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thepowertowin

I've been reading through quite a few threads and I think I'm more confused than ever.
1969 Charger - 383 Automatic (I think 1k over stall converter)

The engine is mostly stock, but has a larger cam and roller rockers.    It's been awhile since I put the cam in there, but from searching I'm 90% sure it's this one:

Purple Shaft Hydraulic Camshaft & Lifter Kit
Chrysler 361, 383, 400, 413, 426W, 440
Advertised Duration: 292°/292°
Centerline: 108°
Lift: .509"/.509"
RPM Range: 2600 to 6000

Lots of cam for the car, I know.    

Anyways, I currently have a 750 single pump holley on it that's been leaking and I want to get it replaced.  Back when I put it on I had to customize the linkage, so that will likely need to be replaced as well so I'm trying to keep that in mind with picking out a carb.

I'm concerned the 750 may be too much, but I don't want to go too small so that's why I'm looking for advice.  

Was thinking about the Demon 1901BK 625 cfm or Demon 1904BK 750 cfm.  

(Or nut up and go EFI?  Expensive, but is it worth it?  http://fitechefi.com/default.asp.pg-GoEFISystem4-InjectorKit )

Less important than function, but I'm wanting to get black valve covers, air cleaner, etc... so would like a black carb, but not super important.

Any thoughts, ideas, recommendations would be appreciated.  

Mopar: The Power To Win

myk

I like your black motif for the engine bay; something I've been thinking about doing myself.  Anyway I'm also thinking about the Proform 750.  How much research have you done on the Fitech stuff?  It's quite the rage nowadays...
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

thepowertowin

Very little...  after I posted this I went back and was reading through other posts and saw someone post on that as well.     I was unfortunate enough to come up after carbs and distributors were taught so going EFI speaks to me... but it's not cheap even at $1k.  But If I spend $400 on a carb and still with I spent $1k on fuel injection... then I'm right back where I started, but -$400. 

c00nhunterjoe

If it has 8:1 pistons in it, then put a 625 or 650 on it. If it has a legitimate 9:1 bottom end or better, then use the 750 dp with a 509 cam and the performer rpm intake that i see.

thepowertowin

Likely 8:1, but I haven't measured compression and it's been so long I can't remember. 

Brass

Why do you think the 750 you already have is too big?  How does it behave, aside from the leaking?  My thoughts are even if you have low compression, you don't want to run out of air up top.  750 sounds about right.  700 if you want to be conservative.   :scratchchin:

thepowertowin

When I got this 750, I was just out of high school and that's what everyone got.  I'd just rather figure out more information to make a better choice this time.

c00nhunterjoe

There is nothing wrong with a 750 on a 383. In your case, you simply dont "need" it. A 650 will more then handle your current build.

69wannabe

I ran a 750 holley DP on my mild built 383 and it ran very healthy!! It may have been slightly rich but it still ran great. I had a 670 holley street avenger on it before I swapped up to the 750 DP and that was one of the best upgrades I ever made for the power on that engine. I could have done some tuning and dialed it in better but I had a 440 on the stand waiting to go in so I was waiting to fine tune the carb up to the 440. Nothing wrong with a carb!! The fi tech system seems to be a pretty good system so far for me, I installed it on my charger back a few months ago and so far I like it pretty good. There maybe some fine tuning that would make it better but it really run's good as is. Do a compression test and post you results and that will give us an idea of what compression ratio you have and that will help with your decision on a carb size.....

rebby

Have you looked at the Quickfuel carbs at all? That's what I have on my GL and I've been very happy with it. I think that you can even get them in black (depending on model). I have a Slayer 750VS that would likely work pretty good on a 383 that I'd be willing to part with. It's not a DP though, much more of a street carb, so it may not be what you're looking for. I did run it on my 440 with success though before upgrading to the 780VS HR.

For the valve covers, it would be a no-brainer for me. I'd grab of the set of the Mopar Performance covers and bolt them on. They'd look great. There are a ton of options for a black air cleaner too. For the carb, if you don't get a black one, you could always paint your fuel bowls easy enough, just a thought.
Curt Rebelein, Junior
1969 Charger R/T SE (500 Stroker/833/D60 w/XP VIN)
1969 Charger (440/727/8.75, GL Project)

thepowertowin

Mopar performance valve covers don't fit with mopar performance roller rockers.  That's why I now have ONE MP valve cover and HAD an oil covered windshield at first test.  Had no hood on, only went a mile.. of course got pulled over...  oil everywhere.  Yes, I'd love them.. but it cracked/broke the passenger rear side...  so now i have one nice wall hanger.

303 Mopar

Quote from: rebby on May 22, 2016, 11:08:34 PM
Have you looked at the Quickfuel carbs at all?

I bought a QF carb for my '71 Challenger 2 years ago and loved it!  However, as they became more popular the prices shot up.  I recently bought a Proform carb and it is as good if not better than the QF carb and is much less in price.  I talked to the Proform guys and they actually swap parts with the QF carb in production (metering blocks and valve body) so they are essentially the same carb.  Summit and Mancini have had the best prices.

https://www.proformparts.com/category-exec/category_id/180/nm/Carburetors_Accessories
1968 Charger - 1970 Cuda - 1969 Sport Satellite Convertible