News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Ted Stephens Daytona Wreck Under the Knife

Started by Aero426, May 18, 2016, 04:42:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nvrbdn

They are showing the Daytona build on MAVTV. Just recorded the Greasy Jungle episode. Seen two episodes now. Chop Cut Rebuild is on Facebook with it also.
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

alfaitalia

So they are building a new car with that vin number then! Nothing there worth saving imo.....will have to try and find an episode on line....just out of curiosity!
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you !!

nvrbdn

here is part of the conversation on Facebook:

View more replies

Rudy Falcomer

Rudy Falcomer Hi Dan. Why criteria did you use, apart from the rarity of this car, to decide it was worth saving?. How much of an original car is required to still be intact to be considered the real deal once restoration is over? Impressed that you take on such a labor of love,blood ,sweat and tears.

Like · Reply · May 19 at 1:10pm

Chop Cut Rebuild

Chop Cut Rebuild Hey Rudy Falcomer! The rarity of the car is a big factor. But, so too is the ability to source quality replacement parts. This project is intended to support the Auto Metal Direct philosophy "Never Too Far Gone". The capability to rebuild this car is far easier now than 10 years ago. Parts are much better quality.

Like · Reply · May 19 at 10:17pm
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

Mopar Nut

Great show, I posted on this months ago, it will get merged with the rest.
"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

nvrbdn

70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

Mopar Nut

"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

nvrbdn

70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

hemi68charger

Small World...

I just purchased, FINALLY, my new AMD roof skin for my Superbird for Bill over at Classic Muscle Metal. I believe this is the shop that's doing Ted's car and show? Near AMD's shop I do believe.... Spoke with Bill and he had a roof skin ready for me to ship.. AMD is still waiting on the next patch of skins to arrive.........
Also, thanks to Cody for hooking me up !!

T
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

69bronzeT5

Quote from: hemi68charger on December 20, 2016, 02:48:46 PM
Small World...

I just purchased, FINALLY, my new AMD roof skin for my Superbird for Bill over at Classic Muscle Metal. I believe this is the shop that's doing Ted's car and show? Near AMD's shop I do believe.... Spoke with Bill and he had a roof skin ready for me to ship.. AMD is still waiting on the next patch of skins to arrive.........
Also, thanks to Cody for hooking me up !!

T

No problem Troy! Glad he was able to hook you up! :cheers: Yes, they are the one's doing Ted's car! :2thumbs:

http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/gallery-stephens-performance-69-daytona-brought-back-to-life/
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

hemi68charger

Quote from: 69bronzeT5 on December 20, 2016, 02:53:37 PM
No problem Troy! Glad he was able to hook you up! :cheers: Yes, they are the one's doing Ted's car! :2thumbs:

http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/gallery-stephens-performance-69-daytona-brought-back-to-life/

Cool article Cody.......... And, per my conversation with Bill last night, I discovered Gary Beineke was involved with the rear window plug.. and sure enough, lookie there........ He's in the picture......

OK Cody, now where's the link to MY article......  :icon_smile_big:   I have yet to find it.......
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

69bronzeT5

Quote from: hemi68charger on December 20, 2016, 03:03:32 PM
Quote from: 69bronzeT5 on December 20, 2016, 02:53:37 PM

Cool article Cody.......... And, per my conversation with Bill last night, I discovered Gary Beineke was involved with the rear window plug.. and sure enough, lookie there........ He's in the picture......

OK Cody, now where's the link to MY article......  :icon_smile_big:   I have yet to find it.......

Very cool :cheers: Have the article on your Daytona on my list of to-dos :2thumbs:

djcarguy

ON page 1,second pic?  look in the back ground past the DEAD crashed rusted twisted ,cut up striped DAYTONA remains..   could that bee the ? replacement? donor charger body in black??  seen in back under daytona on the lift?? ??    All the rest of the pic are taken aiming to the other side of the shop??  :icon_smile_question: :2thumbs:  :shruggy: DID THEY rebuild it in a few months?/ :2thumbs:

69bronzeT5

Quote from: djcarguy on December 24, 2016, 08:40:11 AM
      ON page 1,second pic?  look in the back ground past the DEAD crashed rusted twisted ,cut up striped DAYTONA remains..   could that bee the ? replacement? donor charger body in black??  seen in back under daytona on the lift?? ??    All the rest of the pic are taken aiming to the other side of the shop??  :icon_smile_question: :2thumbs:  :shruggy: DID THEY rebuild it in a few months?/ :2thumbs:

No they didn't use a donor car supposedly. They basically built the entire underside (frame rails, floor pans etc) with brand new parts then dropped what was left of the original car on top. Everything else is brand new parts besides the Daytona specific parts.

superbirdtom

I guess now a donor car is not needed for a major project.  Ill bet someone would fork out $150.000.00 for it. I saw a black superbird for sale on www.webeautos.com website and were asking $125.000.00 for it. It probably is a roadrunner 383 body but wow on the price.  Im sure if the nosecone and components are not original later on when he finds the stuff its probably going to be replaced out.   in a nutshell its a real good advertisement for all who did the rebuild.

Highbanked Hauler

With the availability of AMD parts  a donor car isn't needed like it used to be..
69 Charger 500, original owner  
68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

TheAutoArchaeologist

Quote from: 69bronzeT5 on December 24, 2016, 01:21:35 PM

No they didn't use a donor car supposedly. They basically built the entire underside (frame rails, floor pans etc) with brand new parts then dropped what was left of the original car on top. Everything else is brand new parts besides the Daytona specific parts.

While they used as much AMD new metal as Ted wanted, there was plenty of parts pulled from a donor vehicle or two in the yard. 

70 sublime

Quote from: Devil on January 05, 2017, 12:22:26 PM
Quote from: 69bronzeT5 on December 24, 2016, 01:21:35 PM
      ON page 1,second pic?  look in the back ground past the DEAD crashed rusted twisted ,cut up striped DAYTONA remains..   could that bee the ? replacement? donor charger body in black??  seen in back under daytona on the lift?? ??    All the rest of the pic are taken aiming to the other side of the shop??  :icon_smile_question: :2thumbs:  :shruggy: DID THEY rebuild it in a few months?/ :2thumbs:

While they used as much AMD new metal as Ted wanted, there was plenty of parts pulled from a donor vehicle or two in the yard.  

So what parts will be on that car when it is done that originally came with the Daytona VIN tag ???

The list should not be too long
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

birdsandbees

Depends if they had the original rivets for the tag.. or had to buy those too !  :angel:
1970 'Bird RM23UOA170163
1969 'Bee WM21H9A230241
1969 Dart Swinger LM23P9B190885
1967 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S
1966 Plymouth Satellite HP2 - 9941 original miles
1964 Dodge 440 62422504487

500Jon

In my eyes a true restoration is done 'ONE PIECE at a TIME'... :pity:
Remove a piece of rust and replace it with a new piece of metal.
When you build a whole floorpan with rails and fit an A and B post to it, thats not a resto?

And on a different note, I like many others worked in the Motor-trade.
We did many rebodies as a daily job!
The police never came down and arrested any-body (ban pun).
Its totally acceptable at a MAIN DEALER aotobody shop...

Whats all the fuss about??? :slap: :slap: :slap:

Original 50 year old tin is more acceptable in a rare Mopar than an AMD re-creation... :eek2: :eek2: :eek2:

We Brits have been rebodying MG's and Austins for many many years!
If we didn't, there would be NO Bristish cars left lol... :brickwall:
IF A JOB's WORTH DOING, ITS WORTH DOING WELL, RIP DAD.
4-SPEED, 1969 Charger-500 is the most Coolio car in the World!

Highbanked Hauler

Quote from: Highbanked Hauler on January 05, 2017, 10:44:07 AM
   With the availability of AMD parts  a donor car isn't needed like it used to be..

Let me rephrase  that,  used parts are great ,my 68 is full of them..   What I meant was using a full Charger body..
69 Charger 500, original owner  
68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

rainbow4jd

I'm in the auto business.   A vehicle is legally defined by its paperwork - not the metal.   You got the tag and title - you can replace it all.   

Heck Ford even licenses new 66-67 Mustang shells - all you need is an original vin and title.

I think the hobbyists are finally catching up to reality.   If the car is well restored - its still a well restored Daytona.  $150,000 is a fair price.

hemi-hampton

Quote from: 500Jon on January 05, 2017, 02:36:56 PM
When you build a whole floorpan with rails and fit an A and B post to it, thats not a resto?

Whats all the fuss about??? :slap: :slap: :slap:

Original 50 year old tin is more acceptable in a rare Mopar than an AMD re-creation... :eek2: :eek2: :eek2:

Curious, where do you live?

hemi-hampton

Quote from: rainbow4jd on January 05, 2017, 05:34:37 PM
I'm in the auto business.   A vehicle is legally defined by its paperwork - not the metal.   You got the tag and title - you can replace it all.   

Heck Ford even licenses new 66-67 Mustang shells - all you need is an original vin and title.

I think the hobbyists are finally catching up to reality.   If the car is well restored - its still a well restored Daytona.  $150,000 is a fair price.

Curious where you live?

69hemidaytona

Whats all the fuss about??? :slap: :slap:

If I restore an old painting by replacing 95% of the original canvas is it still a valuable old painting?

rainbow4jd

Quote from: 69hemidaytona on January 06, 2017, 12:17:29 AM

Whats all the fuss about??? :slap: :slap:

If I restore an old painting by replacing 95% of the original canvas is it still a valuable old painting?

Sure - to whomever wants to buy it!   The onlookers opinions don't count.

Actually, your analogy is a really good one (although I think you were being sarcastic)  - because even a 99% restored painting will still reflect the artist's original vision.   That's why restoring any LEGAL car (vin and title) is still capturing the essence of the artist's creation.      Think about it like this - If you've repainted a car - why doesn't that kill all the value?   You covered up all that originality!   The reason it doesn't kill the value is because the value is in the artistry (not just the metal and paint).