News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Ted Stephens Daytona Wreck Under the Knife

Started by Aero426, May 18, 2016, 04:42:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

odcics2

Quote from: DAY CLONA on April 18, 2017, 06:15:54 PM
Quote from: alfaitalia on April 18, 2017, 03:39:22 PM
I'll settle for the "replica", side by side, they're the same..

No Sir...they are most certainly not....we will just have to agree to disagree!
.......but to be fair, in your business, it would be strange if you had the other point of view...so fair enough.

Actually from a structural/mechanical aspect the replica would be a far better product, the attention to the build, detail, assembly, construction, overall finish, materials used, etc would be FAR SUPERIOR than the factory assembled mass production unit, assuming the builder was of a fastidious nature

Mike

Agreed!   But, it's still not a Ferrari.

IMO, a car closer to original is worth more than a pile of repop sheetmetal, no matter how well crafted.       :Twocents:
I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

winghawg

This fine car can be yours for the small sum of $150k I saw this car at the AMD showroom yesterday.Looks very good.But missing drive train and interior.This is a testament that nothing is too far gone.Hats off the AMD and the people who dedicate themselves to the perseveration of the cars we love.

dave14

If there really asking 150k for a virtual clone of itself no matter how well made .......dynacorn should get in the game building new b bodies it seems pretty lucrative ,while it would be nice to assemble a new car real car owners would probably not apreciate this or taking a hit in their investments......ill settle for a satellite  bird because the markets gone too high for me to get in as it is for many

70 sublime

Quote from: winghawg on April 19, 2017, 07:05:30 AM
This fine car can be yours for the small sum of $150k I saw this car at the AMD showroom yesterday.Looks very good.But missing drive train and interior.This is a testament that nothing is too far gone.Hats off the AMD and the people who dedicate themselves to the perseveration of the cars we love.

I wonder how much all the new metal parts price adds up to and all the man hours $ adds up to put this car together to see how much of a premium the vin tag is really worth  :shruggy:
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

moparnation74

Quote from: dave14 on April 19, 2017, 07:19:45 AM
If there really asking 150k for a virtual clone of itself no matter how well made .......dynacorn should get in the game building new b bodies it seems pretty lucrative ,while it would be nice to assemble a new car real car owners would probably not apreciate this or taking a hit in their investments......ill settle for a satellite  bird because the markets gone too high for me to get in as it is for many
Big difference between a dynacorn first gen camaro and a possibility of a B body

Compare the costs of the rebuilds of each and the actual volume/demand for either one....Mopar has never been financially beneficial in the restoration parts industry for vendors and they pale in comparison to the other makes.....

dave14

true enough these arent camaros and mustangs  and we dont want them to be......every mopar guy expects to pay more to build their cars but at 150 k for a roller seems like theres room for profit even if it were a third the price and if a b body were recreated im sure you could build all the cars that came from that unibody platform with differing outer sheet metal....thats how mopar did it chassis and mechanicals were the same car brands and body styles to change it up ,having a wider audience and more cars to choose from could make it viable ......  not that wed ever expect to pay mustang /camaro type prices.  Its too bad because you cant buy whats not available

gtx6970

Quote from: odcics2 on April 19, 2017, 05:31:46 AM

.......but to be fair, in your business, it would be strange if you had the other point of view...so fair enough.

Actually from a structural/mechanical aspect the replica would be a far better product, the attention to the build, detail, assembly, construction, overall finish, materials used, etc would be FAR SUPERIOR than the factory assembled mass production unit, assuming the builder was of a fastidious nature

Mike

IMO, a car closer to original is worth more than a pile of repop sheetmetal, no matter how well crafted.       :Twocents:

Agreed,
Anyone who thinks this pile is worth similar to an original is dreaming.

hemi-hampton

Quote from: gtx6970 on April 20, 2017, 04:42:18 PM
Quote from: odcics2 on April 19, 2017, 05:31:46 AM

Mike

Agreed,
Anyone who thinks this pile is worth similar to an original is dreaming.

:iagree:  I agree.   :scratchchin:

Wingwalker

Its funny how Folks are getting all 'hot under the collar' with rare Mopars!
Some of us can remember when they were just grocery getters, used and abused!

Many Aero's were 'left for dead', back when IT DIDN'T MATTER!!! :slap:

Now when Aero's are trendy again, everyone wants one and can't afford 'em... :RantExplode:
They should have been treated better by the owners 'back in the day' and there wouldn't be any Rotters now.
Nearly all the Aero's should be in rustfree condition and cared for, From day ONE!

Apart from car wrecks and 'Acts of God' there should be well over 2400 Aero's left for all to enjoy.

But alas NO, probably less than a 1000 who knows?

WW
Fixed headlights 500's are the FIRST Aero's, and the rarest!

Aero426

Quote from: Wingwalker on April 25, 2017, 01:52:53 PM

Now when Aero's are trendy again, everyone wants one and can't afford 'em... :RantExplode:
They should have been treated better by the owners 'back in the day' and there wouldn't be any Rotters now.
Nearly all the Aero's should be in rustfree condition and cared for, From day ONE!

Apart from car wrecks and 'Acts of God' there should be well over 2500 Aero's left for all to enjoy.

WW

The survival rate on wing cars is far higher than the typical muscle car.

A12 Superbee

Quote from: Aero426 on April 25, 2017, 02:59:30 PM

Apart from car wrecks and 'Acts of God' there should be well over 2500 Aero's left for all to enjoy.

WW

The survival rate on wing cars is far higher than the typical muscle car.

If the survival rate of A12's, which are not your 'average' muscle car, some variants in fact being rarer than Daytona's, can be used as a yardstick in determining how many aero cars there are left, your'e looking at around a 17% survival rate (3300 approx A12's made, 565 survivors accounted for so far). There'll be some variation based on  peoples own interpretations of which ones were driven hardest or looked after better, but even allowing for 5% swings, at best there'll be around 550  aero car survivors @ 22% of the original production. At a guess, about 5 A12's a year are discovered 'in the wild' but that pool will dry up fast and taper off to one a year pretty soon. Basically, like aero's, its uncommon for them to be found and the % of survivors will not move much from where it is now, so the point is, if you really want one, your best chance is today!
A12 Dodge Superbee Coupe 4 speed Car number 157 in the A12 Registry.
XBGT Ford Falcon sedan, same model as Max drives in The Roadwarrior, the yellow car he starts off in.
WANT: Triple black 68 or 70 Charger!

hemi-hampton

WW

How could there be or should there be over 2500 Aero's left, I don't think the total # of Aero's made was 2500. It was less then that. more like 2438. LEON.

Aero426

Quote from: A12 Superbee on April 25, 2017, 06:15:38 PM

If the survival rate of A12's, which are not your 'average' muscle car, some variants in fact being rarer than Daytona's, can be used as a yardstick in determining how many aero cars there are left, your'e looking at around a 17% survival rate (3300 approx A12's made, 565 survivors accounted for so far). There'll be some variation based on  peoples own interpretations of which ones were driven hardest or looked after better, but even allowing for 5% swings, at best there'll be around 550  aero car survivors @ 22% of the original production. At a guess, about 5 A12's a year are discovered 'in the wild' but that pool will dry up fast and taper off to one a year pretty soon. Basically, like aero's, its uncommon for them to be found and the % of survivors will not move much from where it is now, so the point is, if you really want one, your best chance is today!

The Daytona and Superbird survival rate is over 60% of production.   C500, Talladega and Spoiler II rates are significantly less. 

A12 Superbee

Quote from: Aero426 on April 25, 2017, 10:29:43 PM
Quote from: A12 Superbee on April 25, 2017, 06:15:38 PM

The Daytona and Superbird survival rate is over 60% of production.   C500, Talladega and Spoiler II rates are significantly less. 

Well in that case I don't know why theres such a fuss about them! :icon_smile_tongue:

A12 Dodge Superbee Coupe 4 speed Car number 157 in the A12 Registry.
XBGT Ford Falcon sedan, same model as Max drives in The Roadwarrior, the yellow car he starts off in.
WANT: Triple black 68 or 70 Charger!

Wingwalker

Thanx Leon, it was a typo it was supposed to say 2400.
If I had bought an Aero in 69/70 then it would be still in COTTON wool!
Cotton Owens never cut-up any Aero's and none were ever used for racing.
Apart from a mad dash down the Freeway and occasional dragstrip duty, how would 40% get wrecked???
We are not talking Ferrari's here just an expensive grocery getter with a wing/nose and window plug
If you could afford one, it would be a second or third use car only.

Todays prices are not representitve of 1970 Exoctica! :rofl:
Fixed headlights 500's are the FIRST Aero's, and the rarest!

Ryan.C

Quote from: Wingwalker on April 26, 2017, 01:48:55 PM
Apart from a mad dash down the Freeway and occasional dragstrip duty, how would 40% get wrecked???
We are not talking Ferrari's here just an expensive grocery getter with a wing/nose and window plug

I would guess that more rotted away than were wrecked.  :Twocents:
There are few problems in life that cannot be solved with C-4.

held1823

not always the case. ours was the primary family car from day one until another car was purchased new in 1974. the daytona still saw semi-regular (and year round) use through the next decade

Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

hemi-hampton

I was only counting wing cars. I guess if you were to count/add the 1969 500 then it would be over 2500 :scratchchin: :shruggy:  LEON.

charger_fan_4ever

Just watched the show on how they sliced and diced it. They built the car on a jig with all new AMD parts except the front frame rails and door hinge pilars that were sourced from another car in his junkyard.

After the car was made on the jig they slapped the drivers outer rocker on along with the inner roof/ inner quarter panel framing from the daytona. And call it the original car saying they salvaged as much as possible. If i had to guess id say 5% of the original car is there. oh ya but the original VIN tag is in place.

150k for basically a dynacorn shell really ? i hope thats a joke.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCu5xVBvv5E

Highbanked Hauler

Quote from: hemi-hampton on April 26, 2017, 11:39:05 PM

I was only counting wing cars. I guess if you were to count/add the 1969 500 then it would be over 2500 :scratchchin: :shruggy:  LEON.
The 500'S took a beating because they looked like any other Charger from 20 feet away and were driven as such,  mine included...
69 Charger 500, original owner  
68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

Bronzedodge

Wasn't there an urban myth about the C500 in the junkyard - owner says, " I'm gonna crush that one, it didn't get the fancy hideaway grill".   :o
Mopar forever!

69_500

Just off top of my head but I am pretty sure there is around 375 of the Daytona's accounted for that are still around. I can personally account to 278 of the 500's as still being around. Have info on several others that aren't around any more too. Last I heard there was around 1,000-1,100 of the Superbird tgat are accounted for and still around. So that brings you to 1,600-1,800 right there out of the 2,700 roughly built.

alfaitalia

Be interesting to know how many of them are rebodied cars with switched VINs etc......quite a few I'm willing to bet.
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you !!

odcics2

Quote from: alfaitalia on December 01, 2017, 07:49:45 AM
Be interesting to know how many of them are rebodied cars with switched VINs etc......quite a few I'm willing to bet.

WAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYY back in 1983, there was a MoPar show-swap meet at Milan Dragway, in Michigan.
I sat there and listened to a guy brag how he SAVED a rusted out hemi Road Runner from getting junked because he put all the numbers on a rust free Satellite from Arizona!  (along with the entire driveline, dashboard, etc.) 

That was back when the cars were CHEAP!     This stuff has been going on for decades. Unless you bought the car new, who really knows it's history?
I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

hemi-hampton

SO, What ever happened to this thing :shruggy: Any Updates :shruggy: LEON.