News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Ted Stephens Daytona Wreck Under the Knife

Started by Aero426, May 18, 2016, 04:42:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ws23rt

Quote from: birdsandbees on May 20, 2016, 07:05:53 PM
Interesting, considering in most states and provinces it's even a crime to remove one. Fender tags and door decals a non-issue but the actual VIN plate is tabo to even remove to paint... but oh look.. mine's over there..  :icon_smile_big:

:2thumbs:  All of this will become moot as the public and the hobby tires of the questions.
The whole topic is about preserving history.  If no one cares anymore than the harm is minimized.

Mytur Binsdirti

Quote from: Nwcharger on May 20, 2016, 07:03:01 PM
You can have a dash tag remade.  

No problemo. In fact, you can put on there anything you want...

Authentic looking stamped body numbers are only a few hammer punches away....

BS27ROB

For Dave's 4 door Cuda?

That's why history should be an important part when buying a car.

cdr

or you can be drunk & hiccup while making vin tag.      :smilielol:

LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

Mytur Binsdirti

Quote from: BS27ROB on May 20, 2016, 08:01:54 PM
For Dave's 4 door Cuda?

If it was done on that car, could not different numbers be done on others?  :shruggy: Not insinuating anything, just saying.

BS27ROB

I agree, that's why I think knowing long term history is extremely important for documenting these cars, and this site provides a great service toward that end.

ws23rt

Quote from: BS27ROB on May 20, 2016, 08:46:39 PM
I agree, that's why I think knowing long term history is extremely important for documenting these cars, and this site provides a great service toward that end.

Me too-- This site and a few others are helping document history as we speak.

If in the future some silly multi trillionaire want's to know about the pedigree of a car he is interested in --He might be helped with what we are talking about today.

He and his buds may even be recounting about -that- hemi engine that went for a only $30,000 way back in 2016. :lol:

It's hard to say what will be collected in the future.  But one thing that has always held up so far in this hobby is  "originality".

When that is lost or diminished the real ones go up in value and those that don't cut the mustard do not.  

If the fakes become so good as to not be identifiable the value of the rest become an investment risk or will suffer from it.  The only history left may be our stories and pictures about the way it was. :Twocents:

hemi-hampton

Quote from: birdsandbees on May 20, 2016, 05:34:59 PM
I keep reading this, but we had zero issues with fit.. all pans firewall to rear bumper, inner / outer rear wheel wells, rear bumper attach "valance", rear leaf spring mounts, front right frame rail, torsion bar crossmember and a door sill, along with both door skins. Rear frame rails came out of Classics in California.... not sure whos they were, but they fit perfect as well. Sounds like it's a good thing I had those OEM quarter panels done in 1979! lol

You wouldn't beleive what I had to do to make this gap look good. LEON.

moparstuart

Quote from: birdsandbees on May 20, 2016, 07:05:53 PM
Interesting, considering in most states and provinces it's even a crime to remove one. Fender tags and door decals a non-issue but the actual VIN plate is tabo to even remove to paint... but oh look.. mine's over there..  :icon_smile_big:
ECS made new ones for his 4 door barracuda abomination
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

Lennard

Quote from: birdsandbees on May 20, 2016, 05:34:59 PM
I keep reading this, but we had zero issues with fit.. all pans firewall to rear bumper, inner / outer rear wheel wells, rear bumper attach "valance", rear leaf spring mounts, front right frame rail, torsion bar crossmember and a door sill, along with both door skins. Rear frame rails came out of Classics in California.... not sure whos they were, but they fit perfect as well. Sounds like it's a good thing I had those OEM quarter panels done in 1979! lol
Your car must have been crooked to start with.   ;D

wingcarenvy

I put all AMD sheetmetal on my wife's 69 Mod Top Satellite. The sheetmetal fit almost perfectly with a few tweaks here and there, but nothing crazy. As a matter of fact the trunk floor required zero fitting it fit perfect right from the start. The reason I had to put sheet metal in it was from someone in the 70's doing a little sawzall artistry for big meats. I did use a factory roof for the rusty one. I ended up replacing the outer wheel houses, quarters, trunk extensions, trunk floor, dutchman, tail panel, and roof skin. I was very happy with the quality of the AMD stuff.

DAY CLONA

Quote from: wingcarenvy on May 21, 2016, 10:55:26 AM
I put all AMD sheetmetal on my wife's 69 Mod Top Satellite. The sheetmetal fit almost perfectly with a few tweaks here and there, but nothing crazy. As a matter of fact the trunk floor required zero fitting it fit perfect right from the start. The reason I had to put sheet metal in it was from someone in the 70's doing a little sawzall artistry for big meats. I did use a factory roof for the rusty one. I ended up replacing the outer wheel houses, quarters, trunk extensions, trunk floor, dutchman, tail panel, and roof skin. I was very happy with the quality of the AMD stuff.

I'd have to agree with you regarding AMD sheetmetal, I've done several B bodies, an A body, as well as several E bodies using a good amount of AMD for major reconstruction, the issues are so minor on some panels, others no issues at all, NOS sheetmetal has the same issues as well regarding installation at times, as well as original used panels, no 2 cars are that exact...but I do find myself often asked to look/assist or take over at individuals projects at their home/shop or even "professional" body shops that claim to have MAJOR issues with AMD/GoodMark/Gold/etc panel fitment/assembly...I do find that 90% of the time it's installation error, or just plain inexperience/knowledge in vehicle construction that is lacking in most cases, I was at one shop where the "Senior" bodyman claimed he either had to cut/hack and weld everything to make it fit or it was going back to AMD, I spent no more than 2 hrs on this customers car using the same panels (full qtrs/dutchman/rear tail panel/ 69 Charger) no cutting/hacking, just some hammer/dolly work on a few flanges/edges, and proper procedure in assembly, lightly tacked into place so any readjustments could be made....I went thru the same thing with an associate who said the full rear qtrs and dutchman AMD panels wouldn't fit his car no matter how he fitted them...again a few hours, no hacking and everything fit as good if not better than original or NOS panels....generally I find those with "Major complaints" about AMD fitment/panel finish are either "parroting" what rumors they heard (usually from inexperienced installers) or they themselves are inept at the body trade/skill they claim

hemi-hampton

The car in Question I was working on was a 71 Chevelle Convertible. Part of the problem could of been before I got it the car was really a Hardtop. After I remove Interior & Quarter panels I see it was very badly converted to a convertible. Inner structures were plasma cutted out of both cars & then just thrown in & barely welded. The Convertible quarters fit into a specially designed channel with no adjustment unlike the hardtop that has no channel & the quarter can be moved around on a hardtop. Not so on Convertible. You could push this quarter till it bottomed out along top & could go no more & still needed a 1/2 inch to go to fit into channel. you'd have to see it to know what I'm talking about.  I had another guy bring me a AMD Fender to paint for him for a 69 Roadrunner. I told him I'd like to fit it to car first. He said no., don't worry about the fit, it will be fine he's not worried, just paint it & he'll put it on the car himself. I paint it, rub it the next day, he comes to pick it up & say's he's taking it home to install. I stop by after work to look at car & he just got done putting fender on. On the Passenger side. When I show up he's trying to adjust the fender to fit. The body line at the bottom fits & lines up perfect with body line on door. He likes that. BUT, The top of the Fender is 1/4 inch shorter then the door, if he raises fender to meet top of door it will throw off body line near bottom of fender & door & he don't want that. Then the hood gap at back of fender is nice, about 3/16 of a inch but by the time you get to the front of fender that gap is like a huge 1 inch. The guy is extremely pissed off the Fender fit like crap & this is a brand new AMD Fender. When I measure a Factory part & then a aftermarket sometimes they are way off. LEON.

chargerman69

" Stephens Performance down there in Alabama is currently starting the restoration of the R4 red L-code 1969 440 Magnum Dodge Charger Daytona that has been sitting in the salvage yard for many years "

Sorry but I wood have saved panel to hang on the wall and crushed the rest

Sorry if its bin posted before me

chargerman69

chargerman69

chargerman69

tan top

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

5hunert

It appears the drivers side roof rail molding and the steering column can possibly be reused. 

billssuperbird

WINGMAN

Looks like it has the Daytona specific K frame also. :popcrn: (Winkman)  JR.
69 Daytona XX29L9B409032 , 02 Ram Cummins,

charger_fan_4ever

From the pics posted on the AMD Fb page im surprised how solid the rear frame is.

GOTWING

when it's done what exactly do you have a 2017 AMD Daytona?  :D  Don't get me wrong I think this is really cool and will be awesome to follow the updates! :2thumbs:

farm966

Maybe AMD will reproduce an entire Daytona body...wait, that would be bad....