News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Bought a 1969 Charger Survivor

Started by 70B5Cuda, May 20, 2016, 10:40:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ghoste

Quote from: wingcarenvy on December 27, 2018, 12:52:24 PM
Glad you are OK. People today are getting less and less skilled at the art of operating a vehicle. This is the result. Well I hope the person that hit you is well insured so that this car can be restored back to its former glory. Scary to think about what can happen out there on the road.

If they would put the damned cell phones down as a start.  Also glad the human cost was low on this one.

70B5Cuda

Well, The last couple months have been nuts. I am finally prepared to share...I declined medical attention At the scene of the accident but a few hours later, my lovely wife convinced me to go the emergency room, where I received a chest x ray and a head CT scan. The ER Doc pronounced me healthy and sent me home but two days later I received a phone call. The head of radiology was home on the day of the crash. Two days later, he was reviewing the work done over the holiday when he came across my chest x-ray. He spotted a bump on my right humerus (the big bone in the upper arm). Several x-rays/MRI's and 14 days later I was told I have bone cancer in my right arm. I'm only 36 and a father of 5 little ones so it hit me hard. The surgeon/oncologist said that I needed to have the top third of my right humerus cut out and replaced with a cadaver bone. It took 3 weeks to find a cadaver bone that had the right size/profile since the head of the humerus needed to fit my existing rotator cuff/shoulder. It took three weeks of taking it easy because the bone was so thin that it was close to breaking. The picture of the x-ray shows how bad it was-the black void is where the cancer had eaten out the bone. As soon as the bone came in, I had surgery. Before the bone could be removed, the surgeon had to cut/unhook and peel back all the muscles that attach to the shoulder (bicep, tricep, deltoid, pectoral, and 4 back muscles) before cutting the cancerous bone out and grafting in the cadaver bone section with a 6" plate and screws. After the graft, all the muscles had to be sown back in place. I spent 5 days in the hospital where the pain was BRUTAL. The first 5 days at home were pretty rough too but things got much better after that. I've been in a sling for 6 weeks now and I've never sat still so much. The surgeon thinks he got all the cancer, but I will be doing body scans every 3 months for the next 5 years. The bone was sent off for pathology and upon inspection, the bone was hairline fractured but the tissue above it tested clean. The surgeon says this bone can take 6-9 months to heal fully. If it's not healed by 9 months I will have to have another bone graft done so if you're a praying man/woman, please pray for healing. I have to take it really easy for the next year which is NOT MY STYLE!!
I'm not sure why this had to happen, but I believe that all things happen for a reason and I'm truly grateful to God have survived the crash and to have a solid chance at beating this cancer. I do know that without this wreck, cancer would not have been found in time. This type of cancer does not respond to radiation or chemo so it can only be cut out. And when it spreads, it usually goes straight to the lungs....so all in all, I feel fortunate. If you pray, please keep me in your prayers. Enjoy the pictures...
The tumor....

One of my favorite pics from inside the car...
1968 Roadrunner-6.1L, 6 speed, 3.91 Getrag, IRS
1968 Charger- 6.1L, TR-6060, 9"
1968 Charger in RR1 "Ribeye"
1969 Charger in EW1 "S'more"
1969 Charger Survivor-R6, 383, 727.....WRECKED
1970 Barracuda-6.1L, 6 speed, 4.10 S60

kent

Seeing you in that picture of you and your girls put a tear in my eye instantly. God bless you and try and be strong for them. And yes I will certainly say a prayer for you and your family. Cancer has touched all of us in one form or another. Your young and strong and will make a full recovery no doubt in my mind once more my friend God bless.
Kent

hemi-hampton

Wow, sorry to hear this. Hopefully you'll get better soon. Praying for you. LEON.

ACUDANUT

"I do know that without this wreck, cancer would not have been found in time. This type of cancer does not respond to radiation or chemo so it can only be cut out. And when it spreads, it usually goes straight to the lungs....so all in all, I feel fortunate. "

Damn, lost for words. Get better.  :cheers:

garner7555

I saw this earlier on Facebook.   Makes the survivor Charger seem like an old hot wheels toy that means nothing once we see the whole picture and put it all in perspective.   Praying for God's will to be done.     :2thumbs:      :yesnod:
69 Charger 440 resto-mod

JB400

There are plus sides to everything.  Hope all goes well with you :cheers:

qwick68

Wow....speechless...so sorry to hear, praying for a full recovery
68 Charger LL-1 Turquoise

chargervert

Wishing you the best during your recovery. You and your Charger are giving a whole new meaning to the term "Survivor" Hopefully we will see you and your Charger back in shape soon. It is truly amazing how fate works.

XH29N0G

I wish you a full recovery.  That is incredible and scary.
Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....

CDN72SE

Good luck with your recovery and cancer has touched my family as well as many others.
1972 Charger SE

Mike DC

Same here.  Best of luck with the next few months, and then the next few years. 

That wreck is looking more like a blessing in disguise.  Mysterious ways.

alfaitalia

A young driver pulled out in front of me a few years back and totalled the 3 week old Golf I was driving....I could have killed him.....but in your case I think I would hunt him down, shake his hand and thank him for potentially saving your life. Im not a religious man (quite to opposite to be honest)......but someone was looking down on you that day.
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you !!

ACUDANUT

Quote from: alfaitalia on March 18, 2019, 09:52:25 AM
A young driver pulled out in front of me a few years back and totalled the 3 week old Golf I was driving....I could have killed him.....but in your case I think I would hunt him down, shake his hand and thank him for potentially saving your life. Im not a religious man (quite to opposite to be honest)......but someone was looking down on you that day.

Great advise. However, I would personally thank God.

Dave Kanofsky

"I do know that without this wreck, cancer would not have been found in time."

The Lord works in mysterious ways.  So glad you're on the road to recovery.

Prayers sent!
"God sent his Son into the world not to judge the world, but to save the world through him." John 3:17, NLT

Racers For Christ Chaplain (www.teamrfc.org)

moparstuart

prayers and good thoughts for you and your family   ,  get better    :angel: :angel:
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

fastmark

We are a praying family and we will pray for your complete healing of you body. God bless your family, brother.

mike69440

Quote from: chargervert on March 17, 2019, 09:18:22 AM
Wishing you the best during your recovery. You and your Charger are giving a whole new meaning to the term "Survivor" Hopefully we will see you and your Charger back in shape soon. It is truly amazing how fate works.

Above says it all.  Best wishes.

Dukeboy1965

70B5Cuda

Quote from: Dukeboy1965 on September 09, 2019, 07:49:50 PM
Prayers!  How are things going?

Thanks for asking!

Things are going as well as they can. The surgery was 7.5 months ago and I've been doing physical therapy 3 days a week for the past 5 months. After 5 months of PT, I can got my arm up to 90 degrees (perpendicular to my body) with some work. The bones are half grown together and the surgeon seems pleased with progress. He says it will probably be another 5 months before the bones will be grown together. I just wishing the muscles would hurry up a bit. It's frustrating not being able to lift my arm above should height but I have to keep reminding myself how fortunate I am to have an arm! I'm doing some work in the garage.

70B5Cuda

The saga continues...after 9 months, the humerus bones hadn't grown together very well. Monday, I had a bone graft surgery in which bone was taken from my right hip, ground up, mixed with some type of adhesive, packed in the bone joint all the way around, and then the bone joint was actually taped up. I was warned that the hip would hurt more then the arm, but I had no idea!! It feels like my stomach muscles were rearranged to get to the hip. If I cough or use my stomach/core muscles at all (and they are used all the time), the pain is brutal!!
I'm not sure when I'll be back out in the shop again since the arm needs about three months to fuse. Its a bit of a bummer, but at least I got my 68 pro-touring roadrunner cleaned up and on the rotisserie last weekend. Now it can go to get media blasted and sealed in epoxy.

ACUDANUT

Well That sucks.  They took part of my hip bone to help my crushed Femur bone to help me walk again. So, I know the pain. It sucks.
Take care of yourself and your Family. They are far more important than a Car. Cheers and a Prayer to your speedy recovery. :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

chargerperson

Quote from: 70B5Cuda on November 13, 2019, 09:27:56 PM
The saga continues...after 9 months, the humerus bones hadn't grown together very well. Monday, I had a bone graft surgery in which bone was taken from my right hip, ground up, mixed with some type of adhesive, packed in the bone joint all the way around, and then the bone joint was actually taped up. I was warned that the hip would hurt more then the arm, but I had no idea!! It feels like my stomach muscles were rearranged to get to the hip. If I cough or use my stomach/core muscles at all (and they are used all the time), the pain is brutal!!
I'm not sure when I'll be back out in the shop again since the arm needs about three months to fuse. Its a bit of a bummer, but at least I got my 68 pro-touring roadrunner cleaned up and on the rotisserie last weekend. Now it can go to get media blasted and sealed in epoxy.
Sorry to hear
Good luck

70B5Cuda

5 years ago today I had that horrible first surgery...so I'm 5 years cancer free!!! I finally got around to making a couple youtube videos about the purchase and the wreck.

Part 1: The purchase

Part 2: The wreck...and the cancer that was found by E.R. imaging

birdsandbees

The day from hell that saved your life!  :2thumbs:
1970 'Bird RM23UOA170163
1969 'Bee WM21H9A230241