News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Changing paint color on a car that you already restored ?

Started by Kern Dog, May 20, 2016, 08:58:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kern Dog

Who else has done this?
My Charger was painted in 2002/2003. I went with Red because I had never had a red car before. I was 34 when I bought the car and I thought that it needed a color that matched the attention that these cars get.
Lately I am feeling that these cars get attention no matter the color or condition, so why not change the color to one that I like, rather than one that attracts more attention than other colors.
In 2002, I had help with the body and paint. It was done mostly in my 2 car garage at my home. I now have a different place where space isn't a problem. The car is fully streetable and shows little wear. Most people might think that I'm silly to even think of painting over the car the way that it looks.
I love B-5 blue. Last year I bought the wife a B-5 Challenger R/T. The paint used on these cars just gleams. The new cars lack the chrome though! I want the B-5 with a black BumbleBee stripe but with the chrome bumpers, the mirrors, the polished stainless trim too.
Opinions?

71_Charger_R/T

My opinion?........ Can't go wrong with B5! But I would go with a white rump stripe. Black darkens the whole appearance of B5 and white sets it off nicely and brings out the beauty of the color as does the chrome.

XH29N0G

If it were me and it was what I wanted to do, I would makes sure I had the money to do it (not something else more pressing) and then I would do it.  The way I think about it, you will get a lot of enjoyment out of the process and the final product.  The other paint lasted more than 10 years.   
Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....

70 sublime

Painting it blue is cheaper than buying another Charger that is blue  :2thumbs:l
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

Patronus

One of my top 3 Chargers.
There was one on the 69 registry I remember that was B5 with no vinyl and redline tires. Cant find it now, but man what a car.
I'd say do it. You know how it comes apart and if its solid you can be in sealer in a couple days. Only thing is the metallic can be hard to get even. Ya gotta have the patience to set up the gun properly and sweat it out. Personally, I think a satin b5 blue could be stunning if you put it on wet and can get a small gleam out of it like a pearl.
:popcrn:
'73 Cuda 340 5spd RMS
'69 Charger 383 "Luci"
'08 CRF 450r
'12.5 450SX FE

hemi-hampton

What Year B5 Blue. 1971 B5 blue is different & Darker then the earlier B5 Blues. LEON.

stripedelete

You had me until B5 blue.  ;D But,  I do agree with repainting what you like. 
Let the next guy deal with your choice.

Kern Dog

Quote from: hemi-hampton on May 20, 2016, 10:33:15 PM
What Year B5 Blue. 1971 B5 blue is different & Darker then the earlier B5 Blues. LEON.

I would go with the exact paint code used on the 2015 Challenger and Charger models.

PlainfieldCharger

Kern, I guess you would be ok with having 2 cars the same color? ;)

JR

I love the red on your Charger. I vote sleep on it before making any changes. You may get tired of looking at two cars the same color.

I came close to changing my Fy1 70 to burnt orange this go round, but decided 2nd gens look great no matter what color they are, so I went back fy1.

70 Charger RT top bananna /68 Charger RT triple green

Kern Dog

Quote from: PlainfieldCharger on May 21, 2016, 07:40:57 AM

They are parked a few hundred feet apart in separate garages, so it isn't as if they'd be side by side. Also, the classic cars have much more chrome accents to give them a different look in some ways. I'm not going to jump into this right away. With this car, I get impulsive thoughts but usually simmer down and think it all through.

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: PlainfieldCharger on May 21, 2016, 07:40:57 AM

I was ok with i when I had my Daytona LOL
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

b5blue

Well you know I think it's a great idea. I'm thinking of getting B5 mixed up NON metallic to test on my 70.  :scratchchin:

myk

Like you said Kern, you'll think it through and probably cool down.   But hey-on the chance that you still want to repaint after cooling down then you know you truly want to do this...
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

ht4spd307

you must be bored give it a buff  :buff:      could you really be bothered going through all that work again :rotz: :yesnod: :eek2:

funknut

If you know that's the color you'll love forever, and you'll eventually bite the bullet, why wait?

I lived in a house for 9 years that needed a master bathroom overhaul but didn't want to put down the money to do it at the time.  Time comes to sell and move on and I redo the whole thing top to bottom.  Bathroom looked great, but I spent 9 extra years using a crummy bathroom.

If you're committed, do it now and enjoy it sooner.   :Twocents:

303 Mopar

Quote from: 71_Charger_R/T on May 20, 2016, 09:10:41 PM
Can't go wrong with B5! But I would go with a white rump stripe. Black darkens the whole appearance of B5 and white sets it off nicely and brings out the beauty of the color as does the chrome.

I agree that white pops more on B5 blue, which is why I went with the white AAR strobe stripe on my Cuda.

1968 Charger - 1970 Cuda - 1969 Sport Satellite Convertible

myk

"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

69 OUR/TEA

My old B5 Charger at a show .

cdr

I love b5 blue & white , but mine turned out black.    :scratchchin:
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

Kern Dog

If I do make this change, I will stick with a black BumbleBee stripe. For me, no other stripes look as good.

myk

Quote from: Kern Dog on May 22, 2016, 09:34:00 PM
If I do make this change, I will stick with a black BumbleBee stripe. For me, no other stripes look as good.

Will you paint the stripe or use a decal?

Kern Dog

I would use another decal. I know that any color other than F8 isn't correct for the car since that is the original color but I like to keep things looking sorta stock. The engine bay, door jambs and trunk, underbody, etc will be changed as well. In keeping with a look that the factory could have done,  my thinking is that the painted stripe looks nice but I like the decal better.

timmycharger

I think B5 blue would look amazing, and I am also a fan of the black stripe, I plan on putting one on my car which will be painted B7 although white is always the popular choice.

I say go for it, the only potential headache I see which I am sure you are well aware is getting in all of the nooks and crannies such as the area inside the door where you can see the hinges, engine bay, trunk, etc.  If you are tearing it down then it should not be that bad.  Good luck on whatever you choose  :2thumbs:

az69b5charger

My 69 is an original B5 car. I just repainted it last summer. I wish I would have done it red, or F5, or V2

1969 Charger
Factory B5, 440, Automatic

2000 Dakota R/T CC (daily driver)

charge69

Your Charger looks amazing !!  I cannot imagine why you would want to change it.

Kern Dog

Not sure if you are referring to the Blue 69 or to me.
Mine was F8 with a white vinyl top. Going back to stock was never considered.
I have always liked B 5 Blue. To me, it is flashy without looking like an attention junkie that my Red car seems to be. Blue seems to be timeless as far as its appeal. I do not care what a color change does as far as affecting the value. I have wanted this car since the mid 80s so I have zero emotional or financial reason to sell it. I want the car to reflect what I desire.
I am anxious to make this change. The construction company that I work for seems to only get jobs 90 miles or further from my home. It makes it difficult to be motivated to work on the car after a 2 to 2 1/2 hour commute home!   :brickwall:

ACUDANUT

I believe he is talking about the Blue Charger. Awesome looking car. I would ditch the hub caps though and
get a Set of Cragar SS.  That's my worthless opinion of the day. Cheers.  :cheers:
Kern, Save your money. Red is always a great color.  :Twocents:

b5blue

I friggin hate commuting! A 50 mile round trip into Tampa and back cost 3 hours of driving rush hour traffic. Kern you have no time for the car in that situation.  :rotz: 

Kern Dog

The idea of changing color still appeals to me but.....
I have actually also considered staying with red, with a twist. I REALLY like the pearl-like red on the newer Challengers. A friend has a 2013 in Redline Pearl. With that, I could leave the hidden areas alone, as is. Door jambs, under hood, inside trunk, underbody, etc.

Kern Dog

I wish that I could show a clear picture in direct sunlight. The car looks red in most instances but as you get closer, you can see the fine grain metallic/pearl in the paint.

Back N Black

Quote from: b5blue on July 01, 2016, 02:59:17 PM
I friggin hate commuting! A 50 mile round trip into Tampa and back cost 3 hours of driving rush hour traffic. Kern you have no time for the car in that situation.  :rotz: 

I'm only 3 miles from work.  :pity:  :cheers:

Kern Dog

That would be GREAT !
Since January 2nd this year I've been driving 215 miles a day round trip. This will be the LAST long commute I'll ever work.
The money is NOT worth it. I'm only doing this to work through to my 30 year mark. I have 8 months left so I'll be looking for closer work to get to the end of the line.

chargervert

If I were you, I would leave the red Charger alone,and paint the other 70 Charger that you are going to build whatever color you decide you want.  If you tear the red car down to repaint it you will be without your car,and have two Chargers in pieces. I would build the other car,and when that one is done, if you still want to change the color on the red Charger, then you can do that while driving the other Charger.

john108

Greg
Your RED Charger looks GREAT. The old saying that I remember is:
" IF IT ISN'T BROKE, DON'T FIX IT"
When I find that I can't remember where I parked my car in a large parking lot, All cars blend together, but RED stands out.

JB400

Decided what scheme you're going with on the new car yet?

Kern Dog

Yeah.....
Jigsaw will eventually be B-5 Blue. That is the way I am thinking lately.