News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Who’s still running a stock distributor ? correct or not bye bye points

Started by GOTWING, May 23, 2016, 01:02:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GOTWING

Well it's been 12 years since the Superbird has had a full tune up, it has been running crappy lately under hard acceleration ( mainly a bog and then backfiring .. POW !  :RantExplode: ) a fuel issue for sure, the Eldebrock carb was brand new in 2004, but with only putting about 4,500 miles on it in the last 12 years I think it's time for a carb rebuild and electronic conversion kit with new plugs etc.

We are also pulling the tranny and replacing some seals and the pan gasket, it's been leaking pretty bad. Using a rubber seal gasket this time the cork is crap. :eek2:

The power steering pump is getting replaced as well, leaks out pretty bad.

The master cylinder was new in 2004 and it's leaking. Yup replacing it again. ::)

I can't complain too much it's been very reliable over the years once we went over it the first time making it road worthy. :yesnod:

Arnie Cunningham

I had a correct stock distributor and NOS vacuum advance so I went back to them.  After the heat melted the anti-vibration gel out of the back of my ECU - even though it was mounted in the nosecone and not under the hood...  I have had no issues with it.  We ran the correct wiring for the carb solenoid but did not hook it up.

I have preached this before but one of the biggest positive changes you can make is to go back to a professionally rebuilt original carburetor (unless you have made major changes to the engine internals).  The Edelbrock is a great inexpensive carb that will get your car to run and move under its own power BUT, the cost is mileage, drive quality and power.  I couldn't believe the difference when we went back to stock.
Brennan R. Cook RM23U0A169492 EV2 Manual Black Buckets Armrest 14" Rallyes
Arnie Cunningham was the Plymouth obsessed youth in the novel/movie Christine.
Brcook.com contains the entire NASCAR shipping list of Superbirds sorted by VIN and a number of other pages dedicated to production information.

kiwitrev

I also took my bird to stock under the hood and solved multiple issues the Holley and trick distributor can go on some other hot rod motor
if it was easy anyone could do it

joining the list my cars group
69 Daytona
70 superbird
66 charger
60 corvette
63 corvette split window
tesla S
96 bronco
10 aston DBS
64 DB5
59 custom cpe deville
TR4
lotus super 7
GTD40
32 roadster and coupe
62 nova57 chev 210 hard top

XH29N0G

So when the aliens attack, its only going to be superbirds on the road?
Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....

winged69

Go with Pertronix. I had a dual point in my 4spd Daytona causing erratic engine run. Put in Pertronix and only way you know it is there is a wire needed to go up to ballast resistor. Choose color of wire and will not be seen in engine. But use caution as my instructions said do not leave key in run position when car is not actually running. Something to do with a possible fire.

GOTWING

Thanks, I will look into all options, :cheers: The #'s matching 440 is stone stock and has never been opened up, has 44,XXX orig miles. I don't run it to hard but it's fun to chirp second gear every now and then. :D

moparchris

If you're not driving the car daily in traffic etc... stick with the original distributor.  I run the stock dual point in the C500 no real issues to speak of and it's been in there since it was built in Nov. of '68.  The car has 74K miles on it, so I think the Prestolites are a quality unit.  The biggest issue is making sure the Ballast Resistor is functioning properly.  At least in my experiences this has usually been the culprit when the points seem to be wearing too fast or irregularly.
My  :Twocents:

WINGIN IT

Quote from: winged69 on May 23, 2016, 08:47:30 PM
Go with Pertronix. I had a dual point in my 4spd Daytona causing erratic engine run. Put in Pertronix and only way you know it is there is a wire needed to go up to ballast resistor. Choose color of wire and will not be seen in engine. But use caution as my instructions said do not leave key in run position when car is not actually running. Something to do with a possible fire.

Agreed Petronix kit is the way to go. Have it in mine, but make sure you update the voltage regulator to one for ELECTRONIC Ignition.

hemi68charger

Quote from: WINGIN IT on May 24, 2016, 01:03:46 PM
Quote from: winged69 on May 23, 2016, 08:47:30 PM

Agreed Petronix kit is the way to go. Have it in mine, but make sure you update the voltage regulator to one for ELECTRONIC Ignition.

What happens if you don't? I mean, I am running a hidden MSD-6A in my Daytona for the 426 Hemi and utilizing an OEM Dual-Point Prestolite that's been converted to a Pertronix gut.... I haven't had any issues..... I have the stock voltage regulator in my car.........
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

WINGIN IT

I had charging issues and funky gauge readings  with the stock regulator.
If you aren't having any issues , great.

Aero426

Moparpoolman

Yes, with a stock coil you need to run the positive wire of the pertronix to the NON-resistance side of the ballast resistor. 
   If you get the Flame-Thrower II super low resistance (0.6 ohms) 45,000 volt coil or use a coil with the same specs, you can solder a wire to the back side of the ballast resistor to bypass it and just connect the pertronix wires to the coil's pos. and neg. terminals.  This is what I did with the ignitor II and been running great for 3 years so far.  The feature that sold me on the II is :   
    "Senses incorrectly wired Ignitor II or a "key left on" condition and shuts down the system protecting the coil and other components from damage."
Many more, click on the links and read the list of benefits

http://pertronix.com/prod/ig/ignitor2/default.aspx

RealWing

When I looked up the Ignitor II for the dualpoint Prestolite distributor on my Superbird - it was not available. Is there some way to install it with some mods to the mounting plate?
1970 Superbird 440-6bbl
1969 Barracuda 340 Formula S
1969 Barracuda convertible  6.1 L Hemi
2015 BMW K1600 GTL

69_500

Still running stock in my 500 as well. Drive it regularly. No issues at all in last 12 1/2 years.

62 Max

Quote from: 69_500 on June 09, 2016, 04:32:40 AM
Still running stock in my 500 as well. Drive it regularly. No issues at all in last 12 1/2 years.

How about for the last 33 yrs !! ;D

nascarxx29

Was running a electronic mopar unit.Carried a dual point just incase module etc failed.Put dual point in and never changed it back

1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701