News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Will not start

Started by billssuperbird, May 26, 2016, 06:41:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

billssuperbird

Push the clutch in and try to start but it will not but it will start with the key on and jump the starter relay :brickwall: :shruggy:

XH29N0G

Check to see if you are getting voltage to the ballast resistor when the key is in the start position.  I had a similar problem and that was what was going on.  In my case it was something related to the plug from the key switch to the harness.
Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....

billssuperbird

I changed every thing to Msd

XH29N0G

I also have MSD and had it when I had a similar problem. 

The car would crank forever and then catch when I let off the starter.  In my case I traced it to the start wire (from the key to the MSD) not sending voltage and it was the plug from the key to the harness.  I suppose it could also be at the bulkhead connector.  I think I checked by wiring the voltmeter and looking at it through the windshield.  I do not remember which was which (blue or brown). It did have voltage when the key was in the run position.  I was hoping it was a simple fix like that.  I don't have other suggestions but will add any if they hit me. 

Or maybe it protects us. 

billssuperbird

billssuperbird

I have a new wiring harness from the firewall to the passenger side of the car when I jump it at it at the two wires at the  ballast resistor it starts and runs could it be a bad wire in the new wiring harness :brickwall:

b5blue

It could. My new Evens engine harness had the blue wire crimp at the bulkhead loose. The wire just slid right out of the connector when "Tug Tested". Pull firmly on every new wire at every connection, feel for any movement as some will grab insulation but not conductor.
Had I not tested all crimps I'd had a built in new problem.  :eek2:

billssuperbird

XH29N0G

Quote from: billssuperbird on June 01, 2016, 03:50:36 PM
I have a new wiring harness from the firewall to the passenger side of the car when I jump it at it at the two wires at the  ballast resistor it starts and runs could it be a bad wire in the new wiring harness :brickwall:

Do you mean when you jump the ballast resistor it works and when you use the ballast resistor it doesn't.  My understanding is that the ballast is to reduce the voltage in the run position so the coil won't fry, so jumping it just takes it out of the circuit.  Have you disconnected the wires from both sides of the ballast resistor and checked it for continuity?  It might be that it is just blown and needs to be replaced.  Just a guess.

Or maybe it protects us. 

billssuperbird

All MSD no ballast resistor

billssuperbird

Fix the wire problem and got it up and running. And wow does it run with the MSD. Thanks for all the help  :2thumbs: