News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Edelbrock Carburetor Idle Question...

Started by csx4590, May 31, 2016, 03:15:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

csx4590

I know the answer will be to get a Holley but I have a question about my Edelbrock carb idle. When I first start the car up after it's been sitting for a day or more, it goes into a really high idle. I do not have a tach to see what RPMs it's at but it's definitely way to high. Once I kick the gas pedal once or twice, it comes down to a more reasonable idle. Once it warms up a bit, it runs fine. There are two screws on the front of the carb and one on the linkage side. Is there another adjustment screw to turn down initial idle or is it one of these three? Or is there an initial idle adjustment screw or something else that these carbs have? Anybody have an experience with the Edlebrock carbs? Thanks... 

myk

That's your choke working and it's completely normal.  What model Performer?   I have the 750 cfm with electric choke.  The two front screws are for adjusting idle mixture.  I don't know about any screws on the linkage side.   You can adjust the choke idle speed by turning the choke cap; go to their website and download the instructions for more information...
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

John_Kunkel

Here's a pic of the choke fast idle cam and a video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtcBAUHJJBM
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Q5XX29

Do you have any pictures of your cobra? 427 in it?
dakota_gt on Instagram

69wannabe

Quote from: csx4590 on May 31, 2016, 03:15:04 PM
I know the answer will be to get a Holley but I have a question about my Edelbrock carb idle. When I first start the car up after it's been sitting for a day or more, it goes into a really high idle. I do not have a tach to see what RPMs it's at but it's definitely way to high. Once I kick the gas pedal once or twice, it comes down to a more reasonable idle. Once it warms up a bit, it runs fine. There are two screws on the front of the carb and one on the linkage side. Is there another adjustment screw to turn down initial idle or is it one of these three? Or is there an initial idle adjustment screw or something else that these carbs have? Anybody have an experience with the Edlebrock carbs? Thanks... 

The curb idle screw is on the driver side of the carb sticking forward toward the front of the engine. There is a high idle screw for when the choke is working on cold start and what you have to do is get someone to step on the gas pedal while you watch the linkage from the front and once the linkage is fully open you will see a screw head facing forward on the bottom of the linkage. Back it out 1/4 turn at a time til the cold/high idle isn't so high. The reason for the high idle screw is for the carb to idle a little higher when it's cold to keep the engine from stalling until it warms up so it can idle down to your curb idle setting.

csx4590

All the replies have been helpful. I haven't actually tried anything yet as I haven't had time but it sounds like the fast idle screw is the one I am looking for. I'll let you know tomorrow how it works out...

Thanks...

myk

Well don't you want it to fast-idle so it'll warm up faster?
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

csx4590

Quote from: myk on June 03, 2016, 08:16:34 PM
Well don't you want it to fast-idle so it'll warm up faster?

Yes, but not at 4,000 RPMs...

myk

69wannabe

Bout 1500 is a good fast idle rpm. If it is idiling that high on cold start I would go ahed and back it off one complete turn on that screw and see what it starts up at and go from there...