News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

A/C Wiring in Engine Bay

Started by Calif240, June 02, 2016, 07:32:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Calif240

Hey Guys, I recently just got all of the A/C redone with a Classic Auto-Air system (Badass by the way and cold as heck)... my question is whether the wire going to the compressor should always be "hot" with 12v. I am getting a constant 12v, whether my A/C switch (factory switch) is on A/C, or Defrost, or Heat. However, I only get cold air in the cabin because all of the louvers and vacuum pods work properly so it only vents the cold air when I select A/C or MAX A/C.... can you guys clarify whether I should get 12v at the wire only when A/C is selected, or if it should be constant 12v.

Thanks!

Terry
Indianapolis '69 Charger. RestoMod.

rebby

With my Vintage Air system that wire is only hot when the A/C is actually on (temp slider all the way to cold). It may cycle the A/C with the defrost but I haven't tested that so I can't say for sure.

If it were me, I'd give CAA a quick phone call and ask them. Good luck.
Curt Rebelein, Junior
1969 Charger R/T SE (500 Stroker/833/D60 w/XP VIN)
1969 Charger (440/727/8.75, GL Project)

John_Kunkel

Quote from: Calif240 on June 02, 2016, 07:32:36 AM
my question is whether the wire going to the compressor should always be "hot" with 12v.
Terry

Even with the ignition switch OFF?
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Calif240

Sorry... No it's off when ignition is off...as soon as I start the car or key to accessory then it goes to 12v. I didn't think it should stay on the whole time.
Indianapolis '69 Charger. RestoMod.

b5blue

I had just noticed on my instructions for the system wiring (Mine is for cars that had factory A/C.) it shows "Blue Wire" leading to pressure switch and then to compressor. However the harness relay that it comes from has a white wire not blue. From positions on the relay holder the blue wire is a trigger 12V + from the thermostat with red as feed voltage that will go to white.
  Have you moved the temp control around to see if it turns off the clutch? Pull the fan control full forward, away from the dash. That should turn the entire system off. You may need to re calibrate the ECU?