News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

1968 Headrests

Started by FastbackJon, June 04, 2016, 08:25:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FastbackJon

Just curious as to what the headrests in 1968 looked like from the factory.

The ones on my 1968 Charger have been recovered and I'd like to put them back to original. The silver metallic fronts are obviously aftermarket, but the backs appear to be Dorchester grain vinyl stitched. So I'm wondering if they just recovered the fronts.

I purchased a pair of new "Authentic Mopar Restoration" headrests and they're molded vinyl in what apperas to be ascot or cologne grain, with molded stitches. This can't be correct, can it?

I would guess that the factory headrests were Ascot grain actual vinyl on the front to match the 1968 front inserts, and the back was Dorchester grain with real stitches, like what is on my car.

Here are pictures...

1st - Two 1968 Seat Reference Pictures
2nd - My sparkly silver and white 1968 Headrests
3rd (separate post) - New molded headrests

So what did the headrests look like from the factory?
"This was the dedication of the altar, in the day when it was anointed, by the princes of Israel: twelve chargers of silver, twelve silver bowls, twelve spoons of gold..." -- Numbers 7:84 KJV

FastbackJon

And here are the aftermarket ones...

"This was the dedication of the altar, in the day when it was anointed, by the princes of Israel: twelve chargers of silver, twelve silver bowls, twelve spoons of gold..." -- Numbers 7:84 KJV

Brock Lee

Quote from: FastbackJon on June 04, 2016, 08:25:43 PM

I purchased a pair of new "Authentic Mopar Restoration" headrests and they're molded vinyl in what apperas to be ascot or cologne grain, with molded stitches. This can't be correct, can it?

Yes sir, that is correct!They are molded out of a soft material similar to the lower dash pads/glovebox door. Someone who recovered your originals did a better than usual job. Most ignored the molded seam on the back and chrome trim. They would end up looking like loaves of bread.

Here is a side shot of my original. The grain is close to the upper door pad grain, and is the same all over. No difference front to back.

Mopar Nut

Quote from: Brock Lee on June 05, 2016, 01:41:07 PM
Yes sir, that is correct!They are molded out of a soft material similar to the lower dash pads/glovebox door. Someone who recovered your originals did a better than usual job. Most ignored the molded seam on the back and chrome trim. They would end up looking like loaves of bread.
:iagree:

Jon where did you get the aftermarket ones?
"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

john108

My '68 Charger seats look like the 1st picture. 
No hint of a head rest.

Lennard

Quote from: john108 on June 05, 2016, 05:30:04 PM
No hint of a head rest.
You can add them if you'd like.  Classic industries sells a head rest kit.

Brock Lee

No hint of a head rest.

It was an option prior to January 1, 1969. Very few people ordered them when they were an option. Though it was far more common on the 1968 manufactured 1969 model years than the previous model year. But 1968's with the option do exist.

FastbackJon

Brock, I'm confused by your post. So the aftermarket ones I got look correct or not?

To me, they don't look like your headrests as yours appear to have an actual seam. Are they supposed to be a material like the armrests or dashboard where they're like a vinyl molded over foam?

The aftermarket ones just feel like a big hunk of soft plastic.

Also, I'd guess the '69 vinyl material could have a different grain for the headrests since the seat grain is different in '69 compared to '68.

Brock Lee

Mine do not have a real seam. It is molded in.  I am thinking the dirt in the debossing of the seam impression give it the appearance it is real. If clean it would be a tan version of the repro you show.

Yes, like the armrests. A foam and metal core with rubber molded skin. Do you know how the armrests have that area by the metal exposed on the back where excess foam and rubber skin come together in a random, sloppy way? The headrests have an area like that on the bottom. They cover the area up with a die cut vinyl strip .

1968 and 1969 upper door pads have the same grain. The headrests have that grain. The repro you show looks deeper then the originals. But in my opinion no aftermarket repro interior items nail the original grain 100%.

Dans 68

Quote from: Brock Lee on June 05, 2016, 08:09:57 PM
No hint of a head rest.

It was an option prior to January 1, 1969. Very few people ordered them when they were an option. Though it was far more common on the 1968 manufactured 1969 model years than the previous model year. But 1968's with the option do exist.

My latest project has them.  ;)

Dan
1973 SE 400 727  1 of 19,645                                        1968 383 4bbl 4spds  2 of 259

Brock Lee

Very cool! I had one with them years ago. Kept the seats longer than the car..lol

FastbackJon

Thanks guys, I guess it would be similar to the molded stitching on the horn pad as well.

Reference pic here:

http://st.motortrend.com/uploads/sites/5/2012/08/1968-Dodge-Charger-RT-426-Hemi-steering-wheel.jpg

Brock Lee

Yes sir! The lower dash pads and armrests have molded in stitching as well.

FastbackJon

Maybe what is bothering me about the reproduction headrests is that they have a flat white finish, whereas the other interior panels like the armrests and other things we've mentioned seem to be more shiny, like a semi-gloss.

Brock Lee

Yes, I can see that for sure. The pic of the ones you show look dead flat, absolutely no gloss.