News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Fuel tank, pumps, for injection

Started by 1974dodgecharger, June 07, 2016, 12:47:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

1974dodgecharger

If I have the stock tank with sock setup with 3/8 lines and 1/4 return sender unit will this be sufficient for fuel injection?

Or do I need a tank with the fuel pump inside the tank setup?

wondering if I need to make the change over to something like this: http://www.tanksinc.com/index.cfm/page/ptype=product/product_id=484/category_id=146/mode=prod/prd484.htm

Or can I just use a aeromotive pumps 1000A setup with the return line?

whats better?

chargd72

I'm not sure about the in tank setup but I use an A1000 for my blown carb setup.  That pump requires a 10AN inlet and an 8AN return to be street driven.  Anything smaller will restrict flow, get the pump hot and burn it up.

'72 Charger SE 4bbl 318                          '76 Power Wagon 400 W200                                 2011 (attempt at a) Charger

cdr

the Tanks inc Is the correct way for EFI.   
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

MSRacing89

We run the stock tank with a pickup/sump in the bottom.  Return the fuel through the original 3/8" pickup.  Original fuel sender being used.  Be sure to run the return line through a fuel cooler as the high pressure creates a lot of heat with these set-ups. 
http://www.popularhotrodding.com/features/1203phr_1968_dodge_charger/index.html

'68 Charger 440, 11:1, ported Stealth Heads, Lunati voodoo 60304, 3.23 gear, Mulit-port EZ-EFI, Gear Vendors OD and Tallon Hydroboost.

1974dodgecharger

alright, darn seems my budget keeps getting bigger now  :D

I have to think about fuel stuff now....

redmist

This is made to bolt directly into the Tanksinc location, and provides three ports with 1/4" NPT Out, In, and Vent. The pump is supported by fuel grade 1/2" hard wall tubing. It also has a fully O-ringed wire pass through that makes it a much safer part over the stud mounted power supply style units. The wire pass through is fully shrouded in case of an accident so it can't be sheered off.

If you are going the tanksinc route.... I feel this is the best solution for the fuel pump side of things!

Ryan

JUNKTRAVELER: all I've seen in this thread is a bunch of bullies and 3 guys that actually give a crap.

John_Kunkel

Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Troy

Quote from: redmist on June 08, 2016, 09:27:49 PM
This is made to bolt directly into the Tanksinc location, and provides three ports with 1/4" NPT Out, In, and Vent. The pump is supported by fuel grade 1/2" hard wall tubing. It also has a fully O-ringed wire pass through that makes it a much safer part over the stud mounted power supply style units. The wire pass through is fully shrouded in case of an accident so it can't be sheered off.

If you are going the tanksinc route.... I feel this is the best solution for the fuel pump side of things!

Ryan

But what all else do you need and what is the total cost? I can buy a Tanks Inc pump that's a drop in unit ("An internal wiring harness, supply line, return line, filter sock, and insulator sleeve are included"). I wouldn't have the slightest idea how to assemble all that stuff on my own - and I really don't have the time or energy to become an expert right now.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

cdr

Quote from: Troy on June 09, 2016, 04:29:18 PM
Quote from: redmist on June 08, 2016, 09:27:49 PM

Ryan

But what all else do you need and what is the total cost? I can buy a Tanks Inc pump that's a drop in unit ("An internal wiring harness, supply line, return line, filter sock, and insulator sleeve are included"). I wouldn't have the slightest idea how to assemble all that stuff on my own - and I really don't have the time or energy to become an expert right now.

Troy

Tanks inc has everything you need, Tank & pump.
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver

redmist

well the idea for the above is the fuel puck, lines, hardware, gasket... You supply the pump and assemble and install.

I don't see what is provided by tanks inc as "Drop in" by any stretch at all. Everything you would have to do with the tanks in setup, you would have to do with the fuel puck. It would literally be the same amount of work. The differance would be that the jakefab part would provide you with larger configurable ports (1/4" NPT) Hard coat anodized part instead of stamped steel furnace brazed stuff, and a much much better wire pass through!

The Fuel Puck kit is $120 for the kit, plus the price of a very nice Aeromotive 340 pump http://www.aeromotiveinc.com/product/340-fuel-pump-offset-inlet/ puts you at a total of $230 for what I consider much nicer and more configurable parts.

It would be nice to have someone try the kit out and give some feedback???
JUNKTRAVELER: all I've seen in this thread is a bunch of bullies and 3 guys that actually give a crap.

cdr

Quote from: redmist on June 09, 2016, 10:33:21 PM
well the idea for the above is the fuel puck, lines, hardware, gasket... You supply the pump and assemble and install.

I don't see what is provided by tanks inc as "Drop in" by any stretch at all. Everything you would have to do with the tanks in setup, you would have to do with the fuel puck. It would literally be the same amount of work. The differance would be that the jakefab part would provide you with larger configurable ports (1/4" NPT) Hard coat anodized part instead of stamped steel furnace brazed stuff, and a much much better wire pass through!

The Fuel Puck kit is $120 for the kit, plus the price of a very nice Aeromotive 340 pump http://www.aeromotiveinc.com/product/340-fuel-pump-offset-inlet/ puts you at a total of $230 for what I consider much nicer and more configurable parts.

here is one of 4 different ones of HP levels

redmist

So imagine the above with an Aeromotive 340 pump, and the Jakefab fuel puck for around the same price.  :2thumbs:

I have these kits almost ready to go... I have another Tanksinc tank coming as well as an Aeromotive pump for pictures and instructions. they are scheduled to start shipping in July, I am just figuring out packaging right now.
I designed the part above because I wanted 1/4 NPT ports for Inlet, Outlet, and Vent. I also didn't want the cheese ball wire management. I am able to provide that for around the same price as the tanksinc "Modules."

Ryan

1974dodgecharger

Troy

Ok, I think something is getting lost...

CDR, I have the entire tanks setup already (tanks for multiple cars and the pump assemblies) so I know what they have available. I haven't installed anything yet.

I like the functionality of these fuel pucks. What I'm "fuzzy" on is: there's some pieces required to make it all work (inlet and vent tubes, etc.) that come with the Tanks Inc assembly that I would need to sort out and purchase. Without some sort of parts list I can imagine this will be time consuming and frustrating for me. Ergo, I can install the parts I have and move on with my life or get myself into yet another half finished project that I'll fumble around with forever. ;)

OR... are you saying the fuel puck will include all that other stuff except the actual pump? If so then I am much more interested. I already bought lines but haven't put them together yet so at worst I'd just need new ends at the pickup (if they are even a different size).

Troy

WHITE AND RED 69

I might be interested   :scratchchin: 

So the wiring just passes through the puck? Any plans to add in a quick disconnect plug in your kit for an easy removal if needed?
1969 Dodge Charger R/T
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee 75th edition
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1972 Plymouth Duster

redmist

Quote from: 1974dodgecharger on June 10, 2016, 03:46:02 AM
Quote from: funknut on June 09, 2016, 08:16:30 PM
A kit like this should have everything you need:

http://www.highflowfuel.com/i-10388151-walbro-f90000267-450lph-e85-specific-intank-fuel-pump-with-strainers.html?gclid=CjwKEAjwp-S6BRDj4Z7z2IWUhG8SJAAbqbF3t9IfUQYOUUWDAhKxrE4KAg-A7KEVyo_3OzsFoxcR6hoCDFDw_wcB

I need something to handle 1khp general driving 800hp.  That jake thing looks interesting but only 1/4 npt why not 3/8 or 1/2 inch outlet?

Aeromotive fuel hats for the phantom systems are only 1/8" NPT.   :o

redmist

Quote from: Troy on June 10, 2016, 09:13:18 AM

CDR, I have the entire tanks setup already (tanks for multiple cars and the pump assemblies) so I know what they have available. I haven't installed anything yet.

I like the functionality of these fuel pucks. What I'm "fuzzy" on is: there's some pieces required to make it all work (inlet and vent tubes, etc.) that come with the Tanks Inc assembly that I would need to sort out and purchase. Without some sort of parts list I can imagine this will be time consuming and frustrating for me. Ergo, I can install the parts I have and move on with my life or get myself into yet another half finished project that I'll fumble around with forever. ;)

OR... are you saying the fuel puck will include all that other stuff except the actual pump? If so then I am much more interested. I already bought lines but haven't put them together yet so at worst I'd just need new ends at the pickup (if they are even a different size).

Troy

Correct,

The fuel puck will come with 12" fuel rated tubes already installed on fittings, and then band clamped in place.

Fuel puck
Lower fittings for inlet and outlet heat installed and band clamped
Fuel rated heavy wall Nylon tubing (Might go to a black tubing)
Stainless hardware and metal backed rubber washers
Gasket
Wire pass through (I can offer this is stainless also! however they are $20 a pop!  :o)
Instructions

With an aftermarket pump of your choosing, you have everything offered in the Tanksinc setup, and the install is exactly the same.

You just end up with a much more sturdy and modular system.

Oh! and the puck and everything I can find is made in the USA. If I can source a US part... it's going in the kit, even if the price goes up a little.

Ryan

Here is a mockup picture of the

redmist

Quote from: WHITE AND RED 69 on June 10, 2016, 01:04:36 PM

I might be interested   :scratchchin: 

So the wiring just passes through the puck? Any plans to add in a quick disconnect plug in your kit for an easy removal if needed?

I have used the large factory connectors for fans out of junkyards with great success! I have not looked at sourcing one with the kit yet however.

funknut

Love the setup.  It's a shame it'll be out of sight!

When I get closer to my FI install you can definitely count me in for one.

redmist

:2thumbs:

They do look nice! for me it's peace of mind when it's done correctly. When I get the kit's all together it will make more sense.

Troy

Quote from: redmist on June 10, 2016, 07:28:06 PM
Quote from: Troy on June 10, 2016, 09:13:18 AM

Troy

Correct,

The fuel puck will come with 12" fuel rated tubes already installed on fittings, and then band clamped in place.

Fuel puck
Lower fittings for inlet and outlet heat installed and band clamped
Fuel rated heavy wall Nylon tubing (Might go to a black tubing)
Stainless hardware and metal backed rubber washers
Gasket
Wire pass through (I can offer this is stainless also! however they are $20 a pop!  :o)
Instructions

With an aftermarket pump of your choosing, you have everything offered in the Tanksinc setup, and the install is exactly the same.

You just end up with a much more sturdy and modular system.

Oh! and the puck and everything I can find is made in the USA. If I can source a US part... it's going in the kit, even if the price goes up a little.

Ryan

Here is a mockup picture of the
Thanks! The Tanks part has a flat plate at the bottom which I assume sits on the bottom of the tank. Is the pump here mounted on something solid?

Troy

1974dodgecharger

I don't even know what the puck is for, lol....

redmist

Quote from: 1974dodgecharger on June 13, 2016, 08:27:05 PM
I don't even know what the puck is for, lol....

I don't see a flat plate at all on the tanks inc setup. I see the fuel filter sock however. The pump in the tanks inc setup is mounted to what looks like Nylon Tubing connected to rubber hose. In my setup, the hard wall tubing is used to support the pump. It's connected on the top of the pump, and then band clamped (Not zip tied as in the above picture) to the return hard wall tube.

Wait one!

I got my Aeromotive pump, and will post a picture of it connected to the fuel puck kit.

Ryan

redmist

Alright,

Ran out in the shop, and put one together!

All that is in this first photo is an Aeromotive 11540 Pump, and the jakefab Fuel Puck install kit. It is everything that is included in the tanksinc setup, just a little nicer, and a lot more modular.
Keep in mind that the band clamps in the photo are not the ones that will be coming with the kits, and the tube may go to a black tube as well.

and with some -6 fittings screwed into the NPT ports on the top.

And with a playing card laying on top just to show how small this setup is!

If anyone has any feedback, it would be great... I wan't these to be real nice solid kits.