News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Glove Box Light

Started by john108, June 10, 2016, 11:14:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

john108

The bulb fell apart and the wire fell out.
It appears that the wire slides into the bump on the switch and makes contact with the positive terminal on the bulb.
I can't tell if the wire was once soldered to the bulb, the spring that contacts the bulb, or something else.
Do you have any insight on how the wire attaches?
Can that switch assembly still be purchased?

It appears that I put this post in the wrong section.  I hope it can be moved.

BLK 68 R/T

The wire connects down where the bulb plugs in. That little raised area to the right of the bulb.

Brock Lee

There should be a metal terminal inside that hump. It has a couple tabs on it to keep it inside the plastic housing (if one hole enlarges or breaks, the terminal will fall out easily when no bulb is in it). The wire is attached to that terminal. It was originally crimped, but you will have to solder. It will be really shakey when apart, but once you get a bulb in it, it will hold everything together.

john108

I don't see anything in the hump except a slot that the bulb rotates into.
Looking down where the bulb goes is a small coil spring that pushes against the bulb when I put a bulb in.

Just to verify, is the wire the positive contact for the bulb and the switch case is the ground??

Are replacement switches available??

Brock Lee

The metal tab inside that hump (I marked with an arrow) is where the power wire attaches. The body of the switch is the ground. The spring and all the rest are part of the body assembly.

It appears to me the piece of that metal the wire crimped to has broken off. You should be able to solder the wire on and be okay. Just leave a little slack in the wire.

john108

Brock
If I interpret your explanation correctly, the bulb gets positive power through its case and the ground is the center of its base.
Forward or backward current doesn't matter to a bulb!
Thank you
John

P.S.  My Switch is probably bad as I can't get continuity from the center spring to the case! or anyplace else.

VegasCharger

Quote from: BLK 68 R/T on June 10, 2016, 11:47:59 AM
The wire connects down where the bulb plugs in. That little raised area to the right of the bulb.

That pic looks awful familiar Wes lol.

VegasCharger

Quote from: john108 on June 11, 2016, 05:27:14 PM
Brock
If I interpret your explanation correctly, the bulb gets positive power through its case and the ground is the center of its base.
Forward or backward current doesn't matter to a bulb!
Thank you
John

P.S.  My Switch is probably bad as I can't get continuity from the center spring to the case! or anyplace else.

PM me if you need a switch, I have a good used one.

:cheers:

BLK 68 R/T

Quote from: VegasCharger on June 24, 2016, 08:09:36 AM
Quote from: BLK 68 R/T on June 10, 2016, 11:47:59 AM

That pic looks awful familiar Wes lol.

Yea, I wondered if you came across this post if you would recognize it  :cheers:

VegasCharger

Quote from: BLK 68 R/T on June 24, 2016, 08:42:54 AM

Yea, I wondered if you came across this post if you would recognize it  :cheers:

:cheers: