News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

New American Auto Wire 68-70 B-body wiring kit

Started by WHITE AND RED 69, June 10, 2016, 04:19:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WHITE AND RED 69

Just saw that American Auto Wire just released their 68-70 B-body wiring kit. Seems like a great kit, makes me want to pull out my M&H harness and do a proper upgrade to handle all modern electronics.

http://www.americanautowire.com/view-product/1968-1970-mopar-b-body-classic-update-kit/

Anyone planning on getting it? I'd like hear some feedback on it.   :cheers:
1969 Dodge Charger R/T
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee 75th edition
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1972 Plymouth Duster

nascarxx29

American autowire owner a Mike Manning runs it.Lived in our area
and made camaro wiring at first havent seen him since the mid 70-s.
1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

myk

The idea of OEM connectors is a major selling point for that set...
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

Mopar Nut

Quote from: WHITE AND RED 69 on June 10, 2016, 04:19:03 PM
Seems like a great kit, makes me want to pull out my M&H harness and do a proper upgrade to handle all modern electronics.

:iagree:
"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

nascarxx29

If I get the chance I would like to see it and see how correct it is :2thumbs:

armor64

i am definitely getting this kit, i just purchased a 68 charger RT roller, with no wiring at all. I just finished a 78 GMC c15 heavy half truck with their 73-87 chevy truck kit, it is the best piece of kit ive ever used. From the wiring labeled every foot, to the OE connectors, 10/10.

nascarxx29

Give us a review when you purchase the 68 harness.68 parking lights go out with headlights on.Ive be using  M H only many car only slight issues wire color migbt be off and plastic shells on connection.I cant  comment good or bad with autowires harness  with out seeing it or knowing someone that used it.I live 1 hr away from this company

crj1968

Quote from: armor64 on June 14, 2016, 07:50:01 AM
i am definitely getting this kit, i just purchased a 68 charger RT roller, with no wiring at all. I just finished a 78 GMC c15 heavy half truck with their 73-87 chevy truck kit, it is the best piece of kit ive ever used. From the wiring labeled every foot, to the OE connectors, 10/10.

This is good to hear-

interesting kit for sure.... one size fits all ? Rallye dash vs. Non rallye, Ignition switch locations, etc...etc...
I guess with all the right adapters it would work.  :scratchchin:

Derwud

I plan on ordering in the next couple of weeks..
1970 Dodge Charger R/T.. Owned since 1981

Mopar Nut

"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

WHITE AND RED 69

My stupidity kicked in and I ordered one...I'll post up pics when it shows up next week.  :2thumbs:
1969 Dodge Charger R/T
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1972 Plymouth Duster

nascarxx29

Derwud

It is expensive, but they are highly recommended by people that do Electrical for a living. I like that they re-use the bulk head connector, (adding 2 small screw holes) is easily adapted to aftermarket stuff and has a modern fuse box and relays.

crj1968

Quote from: WHITE AND RED 69 on June 14, 2016, 11:26:21 PM
My stupidity kicked in and I ordered one...I'll post up pics when it shows up next week.  :2thumbs:

From the picture it looks like it is made for a 70 style ignition switch and adapts to others.  Id be interested in seeing what you think of it also.   :cheers:

keepat

We installed one of their harnesses in my sons 68 Mustang. I was very impressed with it and called them last year and asked when they would have a harnesses for a 68 charger.  True to their word they said it would be available summer of 2016.  I will place my order today!  Thank you for posting Red and White.
Pat

WHITE AND RED 69

Well I got my kit yesterday and am pretty damn impressed. Everything looks top notch and well thought out. Comes with the main dash, engine, gauges, front end lighting, rear lights, and console harnesses. Every wire is clearly labeled and each section of the harness is bagged up separately with all the connectors and instructions. The fuse block also comes with a separate harness ready for power windows, fuel pump, power seats, and electric fans which is great for anyone adding those in later on. Another nice feature is the bulkhead connectors have a screw that holds them in place so no more loose fittings at the bulkhead.

The only real modifications needed are for the steering column and gauges. They are setup for use with aftermarket gauges and steering columns but they do include all the connectors and bulb sockets to work with the stock setup. But the harness does have all the proper connectors for the headlight switch, dimmer switch, hazard lights, wiper, etc already wired up. They also include in the package different ignition switch connectors that plug in to the harness so each year has the proper one needed.

I haven't opened everything since I won't be installing it for a while but I think it will work out nicely. The only thing I have not noticed but might be somewhere in the box is the connection for the key light. That might need to be reused from the original setup?

One thing to note is the kit DOES NOT work with the externally regulated alternators. It is designed for a single wire alternator and has a larger wire running from the fuse block directly to the alternator. That also means the original alt gauge is not going to work.

I'll post up more when I get to installing it.   :cheers:
1969 Dodge Charger R/T
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1972 Plymouth Duster

Derwud

Awesome, thanks for confirming I am making the right choice.

keepat

very cool! order the same kit and hope to have it soon.
Thanks
Pat

crj1968

Thanks for the info-  sounds really, really good.  Strange about the alt wire though. Not sure I understand why they did that.   :shruggy:

WHITE AND RED 69

Quote from: crj1968 on June 22, 2016, 07:38:03 AM
Thanks for the info-  sounds really, really good.  Strange about the alt wire though. Not sure I understand why they did that.   :shruggy:

I'm sure it was to eliminate the weakest points (amp gauge & thin charge wires thru the bulkhead) in the stock system and make for a cleaner install. 
1969 Dodge Charger R/T
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1972 Plymouth Duster

crj1968

Makes sense.  No reason to duplicate a weak spot.

So you are going to tear out what you have now and install this soon?   :popcrn:

WHITE AND RED 69

That's the plan and hopefully soon. My current setup is maxed out and I'm afraid to add anything else so it needs to happen in the next few months.  :2thumbs:  
1969 Dodge Charger R/T
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1972 Plymouth Duster

BrianShaughnessy

Mmmmmmmmm...  makes me wish I waited longer before I bought YO deal :/

The YO /  M&H dash harness is kind of a rip IMHO.    It's a bare bones harness.

I've had to refurbish or buy used harnesses for many accessories.   Some of my old harnesses were shot, some were OK.
I just don't remember where they all go after this much time LOL   :icon_smile_blackeye:
Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

chargedup68

How many circuits is it?  I need to run a fuel pump and electric fans.
68 Charger, 608/683 505 cu in. Muscle Motors Stroker, MASS Flo EFI. Reilly Motorsports Alterkation/Street Lynx suspension, Wilwood brakes, Strange Dana 60 4.11 gears, Tremec TKO 600

Mopar Nut

chargedup68

I'm sold!  Now I just need to sell my painless kit...
68 Charger, 608/683 505 cu in. Muscle Motors Stroker, MASS Flo EFI. Reilly Motorsports Alterkation/Street Lynx suspension, Wilwood brakes, Strange Dana 60 4.11 gears, Tremec TKO 600

TexasStroker

It is a pretty nice kit from my initial inspections...talked to them years ago about making the Classic Update for B-Bodies and was glad to see it finally happen.  The thing that really sets it apart from other aftermarket offerings is the factory styled connections being included...I hated the idea of sinking in a couple hundred on a new harness only to have them tell me to cut off and re-use your factory connectors...if you were to pull in new connectors it would nickel and dime things past the price for this harness.

The other big thing, in my opinion anyway, is the harnesses maintaining factory-esque disconnect points.  For example your rear light harness plugs in just like the factory harness...so if you ever had an arc and burned things up, you only replace that section etc.  Most aftermarket kits are just long runs of wire.  I'm wanting to custom route things up front and AAW claims the wires are long enough to allow just that.

I keep wanting to start putting it in one section at a time, but haven't had the opportunity.  I would suggest shopping around as other vendors, like Summit, will offer the kit for significantly less than AAW.
Founder, Amarillo Area Mopars
www.amarilloareamopars.com
Founder, Lone Star Mopars
www.lonestarmopars.com
Will set-up a regional Charger meet
Contact me for info!

chargedup68

Thanks, I sold the painless kit this weekend and order the AAW kit from Summit for $899 and it should be here by Thursday.

pipeliner

It should say 68-69 Dodge Charger because it's not wired for a 70,s electrical headlight motors. I called them and asked to many questions a long time ago amd they didn't have a clue that 70,s were electrical LMAO and they finally somewhere in small print put will not work with 70 headlight syestem or something like that. I went ahead and bought a M&H.

Derwud

I have a 70 Charger and bought the AAW kit, I will make a new headlight motor harness as needed with modern Relays, just to take out the almost 50 yr old tech. I do have an old relay and circuit breaker if needed.

I will probably buy one of their universal kits for my Jaguar next and completely rewire that nightmare...

armor64

Hi All,

When I was down for the Run to the Sun event in Myrtle Beach, I picked up the kit as well, (along with the new 600hp Fitech Easy Street) and was wondering about the alternator support.

Does AAW just mean that there is no wiring for the voltage regulator of an externally regulated one? They say not supported, like factory AC, but it can be made to work.

Can I still use a DB AND0006 (120a with v-belt) that was recommended on another post, with the updated 72ish regulator (to cover the high amps a 68 one cannot).

I'm planning on running a thicker cable from the output to starter relay, and relay to battery anyway, but am hoping that its not going to cause any issues. I already purchased the alternator, reg, plugs, ECT and would really like not having to but a 1-wire instead.

As always, Love the forum and all the amazing info/
thanks
Morgan

Derwud

armor64

i will route the large charge wire to the starter relay, green field to regulator, blue field to regulator and the choke wire for the ignition connection. should work just fine. thanks for the link to the 1 wire conversion though, if somehow this doesn't work, i will be looking that up.

Dreamcar

Just reviving this thread, my car needs all new wiring from end to end and the AAW kits looks like a winner. Any known fixes to be able to use the original alt gauge?
"And another thing, when I gun the motor, I want people to think the world is coming to an end." - Homer Simpson

1969 Charger, 383, Q5/V1W, A35, H51, N88,  numbers match (under restoration)

Derwud

Quote from: Dreamcar on October 17, 2018, 08:16:15 AM
Just reviving this thread, my car needs all new wiring from end to end and the AAW kits looks like a winner. Any known fixes to be able to use the original alt gauge?

You would have to use an OE style harness or make up a secondary harness that goes from Alt to amp gauge to main power feed.

Dreamcar

Is the amp gauge the only real weekpoint in the factory harness? If you bypass the amp gauge completely, is there any other week point? 
"And another thing, when I gun the motor, I want people to think the world is coming to an end." - Homer Simpson

1969 Charger, 383, Q5/V1W, A35, H51, N88,  numbers match (under restoration)

Derwud

Quote from: Dreamcar on October 18, 2018, 09:57:30 AM
Is the amp gauge the only real weekpoint in the factory harness? If you bypass the amp gauge completely, is there any other week point? 

At this point the biggest week point of the factory harness is time.. Glass fuses, Headlights fed through the switch instead of a relay, and few others..

TexasStroker

I think if you plan it out ahead of time for an alternator and AC stuff you should have smooth sailing.

I've had little time to work on mine, but have the rear AAW section strung out and have been documenting the factory dash harness (and all mods over the years).

I'm still pretty happy as I go along, but I have had to invest in open barrel crimpers.  I prefer the hand style over the ratcheting one I bought, but I have yet to find anything that can do the big terminals they provided when they want you to join 2 wires to 1 terminal.  Apparently their special crimper does it, but the price seems absurd when you can score ratcheting crimpers with tons of dies for under $100.

Did anyone have a solution to the bigger terminals?  They put a couple of them in the practice bag.

I should be off this Saturday and am hoping to get back on it.
www.lonestarmopars.com
Contact me for info!

Derwud

Quote from: TexasStroker on October 18, 2018, 02:21:06 PM
I think if you plan it out ahead of time for an alternator and AC stuff you should have smooth sailing.

I've had little time to work on mine, but have the rear AAW section strung out and have been documenting the factory dash harness (and all mods over the years).

I'm still pretty happy as I go along, but I have had to invest in open barrel crimpers.  I prefer the hand style over the ratcheting one I bought, but I have yet to find anything that can do the big terminals they provided when they want you to join 2 wires to 1 terminal.  Apparently their special crimper does it, but the price seems absurd when you can score ratcheting crimpers with tons of dies for under $100.

Did anyone have a solution to the bigger terminals?  They put a couple of them in the practice bag.

I should be off this Saturday and am hoping to get back on it.

I just take my time and make sure I am centered in the crimper.

WHITE AND RED 69

Quote from: Derwud on October 18, 2018, 11:00:59 AM
Quote from: Dreamcar on October 18, 2018, 09:57:30 AM

At this point the biggest week point of the factory harness is time.. Glass fuses, Headlights fed through the switch instead of a relay, and few others..

:yesnod: The stock harness was only meant for what came on the car back in the day. Once you start adding other things it is maxed out quickly.

Mine wouldn't fit in the ratcheting crimpers I bought either. So I just bent in the legs a little till the connector fit inside the crimper and it worked perfectly after that.
1969 Dodge Charger R/T
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1972 Plymouth Duster

Derwud

Quote from: WHITE AND RED 69 on October 18, 2018, 07:01:45 PM

Mine wouldn't fit in the ratcheting crimpers I bought either. So I just bent in the legs a little till the connector fit inside the crimper and it worked perfectly after that.

Yep, that helps get them perfect..

TexasStroker

Quote from: Derwud on October 19, 2018, 11:13:58 AM
Quote from: WHITE AND RED 69 on October 18, 2018, 07:01:45 PM

Yep, that helps get them perfect..

Cool deal, I can handle that! 
I haven't had to use one in-car yet, but the first one in the practice bag got butchered.  I went with the Astro Pneumatic Ratcheting Crimper (I already had a Taylor crimper, but they didn't have open barrel jaws...super nice staff and you get a real person for what it is worth).  I picked up a Knipex hand crimper that is really solid as well.
www.lonestarmopars.com
Contact me for info!