News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

New Classic Auto Air

Started by Calif240, June 13, 2016, 09:17:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Calif240

So... figured I'd post some feedback here on my Classic Auto Air system for those who might be considering something.

My '69 was originally an A/C car but the guy before me had gutted everything in the front of the firewall. It still retained all of the inner heater box and components, as well as all of the vacuum pods and lines and controls. I wasn't sure what all it would take or how functional the A/C system would be, but when I read about the advancements from Classic Auto Air (I hear vintage air is similar), I figured I'd try it. I purchased a new heat exchanger for the cabin box and refinished the box using a Detroit Muscle Technologies gasket and seals kit. Additionally, I bought the Classic Auto Air kit that included everything in front of the firewall. It installed easily in just a few hours. I had it charged by a professional, local shop (who also crimped the lines and checked everything). HOLY SCHNEIKIES... this thing is ICE COLD. I just bought a new 2016 Silverado, and the Charger has colder A/C than my brand new truck!!!  :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs: It is absolutely amazing. Additionally, everything looks great and functions perfectly. I am extremely pleased with the kit and its functionality.  :coolgleamA:

I hope this helps anyone who may be considering a kit from Classic Auto Air.  :Twocents:

Thanks,
Terry
Indianapolis '69 Charger. RestoMod.

myk

Thanks for the review.  My car is like yours, in that everything forward of the firewall is gone, so it's good to see that there is hope with a kit like this one.  I'll definitely check it out.

BTW how've you been?  Haven't seen you around here in a while...
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

Calif240

Doing well Myk! Yeah been super busy w a lot and trying to finish a few upgrades. I'll post a few pics of new seats and such... Custom Legendary rally seats. Thanks for asking!

crj1968

So the new lines bolted up directly to your factory air box?    :scratchchin:

Calif240

Fit Like a glove. One the best fitting aftermarket kits I've purchased. The only thing that you'll want a pro to do is crimp the lines (2 spots). I also went ahead and had them fill with 134a because they had it there and CAA recommended it done by professional with pro equipment.

Thanks,
Terry

crj1968

WINGIN IT

Got pics of the install?
Curious on how it looks, thanks.

1970Moparmann

Great feedback. :cheers:   Just so correct, you used  your original AC heater box? 
My name is Mike and I'm a Moparholic!

Calif240

Correct, just refinished it.
Terry

71charger_fan

I bought their firewall forward kit for my '71. It cools beautifully. Unfortunately, my controls are screwed up and the cold air comes out of the floor, dash, and defroster vents simultaneously. I think this winter I might pull the dash (again) and go through the heater box.

Mopar4me

Doing the same thing for my car. Do you know what size water pump pulley(depth and diameter you have) and also the belt number to run the water pump and power steering. I have factory air so mine uses a separate belt with an idler pulley for the water pump and a separate belt for the PS. That I want to change.

Calif240

I used all factory pulleys and belts, just had to shim a few spots.
Terry