News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

streetmaster heads

Started by rt green, June 26, 2016, 09:28:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rt green

anyone ever try those streetmaster heads the're selling on ebay? any advantage over stock on a big block?
third string oil changer

Challenger340

Streetmaster/Sidewinder/Whatever Chinese Castings..... although I have not Flowed or worked on them, many are reporting results that are obviously better than any O.E. Cast Iron Head.
Might be best to go with a reputable retailer who is familiar with, and sells them complete assembled and ready to go ?
"Sidewinder" Heads are the same, but sold by such a retailer over on moparts.
Only wimps wear Bowties !

Mike DC

So . . . when are the Chinese gonna start dumping super-cheap aluminum engine blocks onto the market? 

1974dodgecharger

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on June 26, 2016, 11:48:24 PM

So . . . when are the Chinese gonna start dumping super-cheap aluminum engine blocks onto the market? 

lmao.....

myk

Why don't people buy the Edelbrock Performer RPM heads by default?
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

Mike DC

Cheaper.  Spark plug angles.  Maybe stock-er appearance.  People have reasons.   

Those new Trick Flow B/RB heads seem like a better price/power ratio.  They might be overkill for a street-only 383 but a 500" stroker is a different story. 

1974dodgecharger

Quote from: myk on June 27, 2016, 06:51:37 AM
Why don't people buy the Edelbrock Performer RPM heads by default?

I thought they did...the downfall is the no. 8 if you have headers, lmao....bang em in and the No. 1 also....

rt green

was just looking for an inexpensive way to have a set of heads. j was just wondering if they were worth it. i have a new set of mopar pef 181 ex valves and intakes to match from years ago. i did get the speedpro 2315 pistons and Ron sugested a voodoo cam for the 383. i was just on ebay and ran across these heads. 253 bucks apiece bare. at that price red flags popped up. i was just wondering if they would be better than stock or boat anchors. 
third string oil changer

Challenger340

Quote from: rt green on June 28, 2016, 05:03:15 AM
was just looking for an inexpensive way to have a set of heads. j was just wondering if they were worth it. i have a new set of mopar pef 181 ex valves and intakes to match from years ago. i did get the speedpro 2315 pistons and Ron sugested a voodoo cam for the 383. i was just on ebay and ran across these heads. 253 bucks apiece bare. at that price red flags popped up. i was just wondering if they would be better than stock or boat anchors. 

"bare" means with guides and seats installed, but neither are ready for service, nor, are they just a "pop in some parts" and go ?

Probable work required:
* Hone the Valve Guides to fit the Valve Stem Clrc.
* Machine the Valve Seat Angles concentric with the finished V/Guides
* Machine for V/Seals (if req'd for whatever V/Springs are being used)
* Check Heads for Flat/Straight, and resurface if Req'd
* Wash thoroughly
* Lube & Assemble, Checking/setting/adjusting V/Spring pressures(shims)
Parts Req'd if you already have Valves:
* Valve Seals
* Valve Springs
* Retainers & V/Locks
* V/Spring seat cups/locators/ and shims to adjust V/Spring pressures

The above is why IMO, these Heads are best purchased "complete and assembled" from a reputable retailer, unless you are capable of doing the above yourself.
Only wimps wear Bowties !

heyoldguy

Please pay attention to Challenger340 on this. Probably a bunch of guide honing here as most Mopar Performance valves for the big and small blocks are 3/8 stems and these new heads are all 11/32 guides. Kinda a tight fit there.

b5blue

I got Sidewinders from Todd at Marsh Performance. About 1,300.00 ready to bolt on, with new head bolts/gaskets. I needed aluminum heads to deal with ping from higher compression. After going over them closely I found some small burrs from machining left I cut/filed off and 2 small bits of flashing from casting inside the water jacket I use a Dremel to clean up. Time spent less than 1 hour. No porting done, CH-4B intake and HP exh. manifolds, kinda stockish exhaust system. 440 runs great, no issues.  :2thumbs:
  I talked to Todd over a year before ordering, the heads come from a state of the art facility that manufactures for many others. He's cut them open and had the alloy checked and put a lot of effort into getting the part right and the price down. Call him and ask questions. 

1974dodgecharger

My edelbrock RPM heads are direct drop in and worked perfectly no issues instant gain of HP using stock rockers and push rods.....

again most people copied this setup and trick flow made it even better based on reviews vs the rpm heads...

stick with reputable heads like eddy rpm heads...you wont go wrong.

b5blue

How much did that cost to complete?