News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Alternator re-charge circuit/MSD 6AL/battery in trunk

Started by plum500, July 12, 2016, 07:27:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

plum500

After going through the voltage regulator, does the alternator recharge by simply connecting to the ignition system?

That is, it goes to the bulkhead connector after the regulator... does the charge simply go back to the battery via the main post on the starter relay... and so, back to the battery?

I'm installing a 6AL and I have the battery in the trunk... initially I was planning on running a separate wire to the trunk from the alternator/regulator, but I have a nice new wiring harness, and even though I am actually going to use very little of it, if what I said above is true, I don't need the separate cable to the back.

My other question though, is the instructions for the 6AL say "don't connect to alternator". I'm assuming they mean "don't connect directly to alternator", and that connecting the heavy power feed for the 6AL to that common post on the starter relay, will not be a problem (even if the alternator charge goes back through there)... which, now that I'm typing, it must...

Thanks in advance for reading... hope it makes sense and that it's not a repeat question...

flyinlow

The alternator output (charging) wire is the large wire bolted to a stud on the back of the alt. If you have a stock wired car, it goes thru the bulkhead connector to the interior of the car to the ammeter, from the other stud on the ammeter back thru bulkhead connector (different wire) thru a fusible link to the stud on the starter relay mounted near the master cylinder. From there the charge current goes to the battery.

I run my large power feed for the MSD from the starter relay post.  The MSD get its power from the battery or the alternator , which ever has the higher voltage, which is the alternator when the engine is running.

plum500