News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Engine builders. Who do you guys recommend?

Started by pipeliner, July 15, 2016, 10:29:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BLK 68 R/T

Quote from: pipeliner on July 19, 2016, 07:57:49 PM
Yeah your right. I had a guy send me a message and I called him. Said he wanted to build my engine. We talked for a long time. Hes fairly close to me and use to be a big time player in the drag scene and the go to guy on building engines around here. I knew who he was as soon as he told me his name though it had never crossed my mine to call him because hes so hard to get. He only builds a select few engines a year but does machine work for several. I told him my situation and what I had to work with and he said no problem as long as I make a couple thousand dollars I'll be happy. I paused, mouth dropped and said what?  I asked him what if I have any problems, he said you shouldn't but I'll take care of it. He's even going to come to my house the day we Install it and make sure we get everything correct. He told me one of the reasons why he wanted to do it because he loves doing Mopar engines and just gets to do a few every once in a while since he has retired.

Well sounds like you have a plan now :2thumbs:
Good luck on your build and hope it turns out well.

BSB67

Quote from: pipeliner on July 19, 2016, 07:57:49 PM
...and he said "no problem as long as I make a couple thousand dollars I'll be happy". I paused, mouth dropped and said what?  

Why did your mouth drop?  Did he give you a price for the motor, and parts list?

500" NA, Eddy head, pump gas, exhaust manifold with 2 1/2 exhaust with tailpipes
4150 lbs with driver, 3.23 gear, stock converter
11.68 @ 120.2 mph

pipeliner

Yeah because he's only going to charge me $2k for a turnkey engine and then he's going to come to my house when we Install the engine. We went over the entire build and I liked the way he talked. Said he would also give me his discounts on all the parts where he got discounts. We didn't do a complete breakdown on the price list just yet until we decide just exactly which parts we are going to use like heads, which stroker kit, cams and so forth. He gave me his ideas and I give him mine and we're going to decide when he gets close to start mine.

Rubberduck

I got mine from:

http://www.competitionwedge.com/

Todd is a nice guy. And I believe, he knows very well what he does. He built me a 505 stroker from a 440 block.
I only can recommend his work.
Since I live in Germany I had to find someone I can be sure everything works well.

Mario
ยด68 Charger, 505 by CWE, 4-speed

Challenger340

Quote from: pipeliner on July 20, 2016, 01:01:21 AM
Yeah because he's only going to charge me $2k for a turnkey engine and then he's going to come to my house when we Install the engine. We went over the entire build and I liked the way he talked. Said he would also give me his discounts on all the parts where he got discounts. We didn't do a complete breakdown on the price list just yet until we decide just exactly which parts we are going to use like heads, which stroker kit, cams and so forth. He gave me his ideas and I give him mine and we're going to decide when he gets close to start mine.

There you go.... sounds like you have your guy !   :2thumbs:
Good luck on your build.
Only wimps wear Bowties !

pipeliner

Thanks man. I've had several people here locally tell me I was really lucky to get him. When I get started on the motor I'll list exactly what we are going to do with it.

303 Mopar

1968 Charger - 1970 Cuda - 1969 Sport Satellite Convertible

pipeliner

We discussed justbthe basic stuff and as soon as we start the engine I'll make another post and put the parts list down. The builder is wanting to use an Indy Dual plane intake with Indy EZ heads, a quick fuel 850, Harlin sharp roller rockers, we talked about stroker kits but haven't decide which one, or cam, lifters or pushrods or the rest of the motor. He told me to call him in 3 weeks to see where he is with his machine work and if he's almost ready were going to get together and get a price list.

BSB67

Quote from: pipeliner on July 20, 2016, 04:33:35 PM
We discussed justbthe basic stuff and as soon as we start the engine I'll make another post and put the parts list down. The builder is wanting to use an Indy Dual plane intake with Indy EZ heads, a quick fuel 850, Harlin sharp roller rockers, we talked about stroker kits but haven't decide which one, or cam, lifters or pushrods or the rest of the motor. He told me to call him in 3 weeks to see where he is with his machine work and if he's almost ready were going to get together and get a price list.

Okay.  Still sounds like a 10 to 15K build.  Keep us posted,

500" NA, Eddy head, pump gas, exhaust manifold with 2 1/2 exhaust with tailpipes
4150 lbs with driver, 3.23 gear, stock converter
11.68 @ 120.2 mph

pipeliner

I will. He thinks he can keep me under the 10k mark but if we go over a little buy using the good stuff I don't mind. We'll just have to sat down and break everything thing down right to the last penny. I've come to the realization that if I really want a good build 10k probably ain't going to cut it know matter how I look at it. Sure they are routes I can go and save money and have a good motor but I'm just going to have to bite the bullet if i go the way I want to go. I'm lucky to get this builder.