News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Light issues 66 Charger

Started by BCMSW, July 15, 2016, 07:14:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BCMSW

Hi.  New here.  New to Mopar.  I just bought a 66 Charger.  383 4 Barrel.  Dome lights and parking lights worked when I got it.  Headlight relay wires were unhooked. When I hooked them up I heard a buzz.  I replaced the relays for the headlights and the power pack for the dash lights with more "modern" ones from e-bay.  I cleaned the engine ground and the ground to the firewall.  Headlights rotate now.  I have turn signals and one high beam headlight.  No low beam headlights, tail lights, dash lights, courtesy or dome lights, or brake lights since the buzz.  All fuses under dash are good and power to both sides of circuit breaker under drivers kick panel.  New head light switch as well.  Any educated ideas would be greatly appreciated!  I think this thing is awesome...just need to work out a few bugs. :brickwall:

BCMSW

Figured out most of it.  When I touched the fuse with the test light I got a small spark and the dome light, tail lights and brake lights started working again.  I replaced 3 of the headlight bulbs that were burned out. 

Still no dash lights.  I have power to the orange wire on the power pack plug.  They worked before the issues began.  I am going to try to switch back to the original power pack to see if that helps.

Dino

Welcome to the board! Sweet ride you got there. More pics are always welcome.   :2thumbs:

I don't know much about 1st gens but if they continued the same wiring in the 2nd gen, and they might, then dash lights are on the same circuit as the tail lights. Maybe something got fried like the power wire or maybe the power pack if that's possible. In any case I'd make sure all contacts and wires are clean and without resistance before you replace power pack and bulbs so this doesn't happen again. You may want to remove the fuse box and see if you need to clean it up or maybe replace it. After all these years it may have some corrosion and resistance buildup and that's a fire waiting to happen.

I haven't looked at the wiring diagrams for your car, I'm a bit busy studying, but you can download them here so you can trace your wiring and find the problem.

http://www.mymopar.com/index.php?pid=27

Post back if you can't get it to work.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

ITSA426

If you're using one of the ebay plastic low dollar EL power supplies for your dash lights most people on the 66-67 Charger forum would strongly recommend/encourage you to throw it away before it sets fire to your car.  General consensus is they are junk.  Most of the other items are basic electrical work; checking grounds and cleaning contacts after replacing bulbs.  Your original power supply can likely be rebuilt or there some newer solid state units that work well for about $170.  Lots of good, experienced first gen Charger enthusiasts at 66-67Charger.com.  There's also a source guide available there.  Nice looking car by the way.