News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

orange ignition box ??

Started by Highbanked Hauler, July 16, 2016, 02:00:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Highbanked Hauler

Is there a way to check them for a possible intermittent  misfire or is it a replacement only ??
69 Charger 500, original owner  
68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

charger Downunder

Check for a good earth of the unit to the body, just put another one on and see if car still misses,
[/quote]

BrianShaughnessy

Any parts store box is probably better than an orange box. 
Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

A383Wing

Highbanked Hauler

Quote from: A383Wing on July 18, 2016, 04:01:40 PM
Quote from: BrianShaughnessy on July 18, 2016, 09:24:04 AM

:iagree:

Thanks,they are really that bad for performance, durability or both ?
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

Nacho-RT74

Latelly ( in last 5 or 8 years ) there are lot of folks claiming about the durability, specially, last versions. I have got problems instead with chromed ones.

Both perform REALLY WELL, but durability is REALLY questionable!
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

Bronzedodge

I bought a kit for the 383 in my 71 Fury Custom Suburban Wagon.  There was some weird oscillation in the Orange box that caused it to arc from the secondary tower to one of the primary terminals at the coil.  Changing coils did not cure it, rechecked grounds, etc.  Finally changed out the new Orange box with a stocker.  That cured it.   :eek2:
Mopar forever!

Highbanked Hauler

Quote from: Nacho-RT74 on July 21, 2016, 06:48:00 AM
Latelly ( in last 5 or 8 years ) there are lot of folks claiming about the durability, specially, last versions. I have got problems instead with chromed ones.

Both perform REALLY WELL, but durability is REALLY questionable!

So its a good idea to carry a couple or 3 for spares I guess..
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

Nacho-RT74

Or just one good! And one for spare.

Myself I have tried:

2 chromed MP. Both failed in a short time... Got to fix it ( power transistor is the culprit, search a thread I wrotte about )

1 orange used between both failed Chromed. Used for couple of weeks and worked great. When I got my second Chomed sold the orange to a friend ( maybe 3 or 4 years ago ). He barelly started up his engine last week.

1 FBO A688... Instaled on my car maybe for a year, but just efectivelly used couple of months. Failed too. This worked GRRREAT, just while worked LOL.

1 "Hi-Rev" I got for a while my Rev-N- Nator unit was coming to my hands ( couple of weeks ). Sold on ebay by Rick Erehnberg. Works really nice. I felt it something in between the MPs chromed and the orange. Now is my spare.

My actual Rev-N-Nator

Once found Locally ( i'm in Venezuela ) one blue NOS Cobra brand out of its box... By specs I remember stated on box,  seemed to be similar to the Orange MP one. NEVER FAILED in my hands and I used it maybe for 10 years.. I gave to a friend for couple of months ( once I entered into HiPo modules world ) and he damaged it dunno how!. This Cobra unit really loos exactly the same to a "FILKO CH500" modules available on ebay.

What can I say about all of these without be an expert AND, engine setup was changed allong the years, so its not a straight comparision on same engine specs:

Cobra... Great stock replacement.

FBO ( the original and firts unit sold way back... A688 ) great response allong the rpms

Chromed MPs... Faster start up af all, but not a linear RPM response.  Not bad thought.

Orange MP... Nice over the stock

Hi-Rev... Nice over the stock

Rev-N-Nator... The most linear response allong rpms... But not faster start up like the Chromed unit. Still outperforms everyone.

THIS IS NOT A PROFESIONAL COMPARISION USING SAME ENGINE SPECS! And I'm not an expert tunning up engines, just trial and error, so maybe several of my tunning jobs could ( or can be ) way better done getting out better juice from every ECU.

Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

WINGIN IT

Or just eliminate the orange box altogether and go with a Petronix unit for your application. :2thumbs:

Highbanked Hauler

Quote from: WINGIN IT on July 25, 2016, 11:37:14 AM
Or just eliminate the orange box altogether and go with a Petronix unit for your application. :2thumbs:

I thought those were for replacing points in a stock distributor ??
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

jaak

Quote from: BrianShaughnessy on July 18, 2016, 09:24:04 AM

Agree! From my experience, Mopar orange boxes are junk. The best one have found is a Dura last from AutoZone, don't know who makes them for AZ, but I've only had one go bad... it has a lifetime warranty, so just had to take it back and swap it for another.

Jason