News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

armrest dye contact

Started by Dave68RT, July 17, 2016, 03:05:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave68RT

Does anyone know of a shop / person that is competent to re-dye the armrest ?

'68 Charger R/T

Lennard

Buy a spray can of SEM interior paint and find out that you are competent yourself. It ain't rocket science.  It's all about the preparation.  Make sure the surface you're going to paint is dirt, dust and grease free and you'll get awesome results. Make sure you spray thin layers and let the paint dry in between layers.

Dino

And don't do it if it's a repro. Paint only sticks to the original ones apparently.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Chargen69

I hit my entire interior pieces with mineral spirits and then glass cleaner and that spray dye.

people ask all the time if I bought a new interior

Dino

Quote from: Chargen69 on July 24, 2016, 06:02:29 PM
I hit my entire interior pieces with mineral spirits and then glass cleaner and that spray dye.

Did you use an adhesion promoter? i ask because it seems the SEM color coat paint sticks to vinyl real well.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

adauto

I've used SEM on a few things and have had very good results
Never too many! 70 Chally R/T Convert-70 GTX-68-69-74 Charger-68 Dart GTS

http://a-dauto.com/  http://www.facebook.com/pages/A-D-Truck-and-Auto-Parts/67427352555?ref=hl

Chargen69

Quote from: Dino on July 24, 2016, 07:15:38 PM

Did you use an adhesion promoter? i ask because it seems the SEM color coat paint sticks to vinyl real well.

we did not use an adhesion promoter

Lennard

Quote from: Chargen69 on July 25, 2016, 08:05:32 AM
Quote from: Dino on July 24, 2016, 07:15:38 PM

we did not use an adhesion promoter
Neither did I.

phantom

I used dye from Furniture Clinic. Cleaned first with alcohol cleaner, then prepped with adhesion promoter, added colour, and lastly finished with matt leather finish

Should be no problem dyeing aftermarket items, just do the prepping job thoroughly  ;)

Chargen69

whatever you do, dont use the cheap crap from auto parts stores

ht4spd307

i wouldn't recommend spaying high wear areas like armrest & seats but would be ok for dash pieces hood linings depends on the usage  if you drive the car  daily wont last long but for a weekender it would be ok

moparnation74

The interior dye paints from Herb's Auto Parts will do the job.....

PlainfieldCharger

Quote from: phantom on July 25, 2016, 03:22:28 PM
I used dye from Furniture Clinic. Cleaned first with alcohol cleaner, then prepped with adhesion promoter, added colour, and lastly finished with matt leather finish

Should be no problem dyeing aftermarket items, just do the prepping job thoroughly  ;)
Looks Great!! Looks really crisp! :cheers:

phantom

Quote from: ht4spd307 on July 30, 2016, 10:07:35 AM
i wouldn't recommend spaying high wear areas like armrest & seats but would be ok for dash pieces hood linings depends on the usage  if you drive the car  daily wont last long but for a weekender it would be ok
No problem spraying seats and armrests as long as you do your prepping right. And use proper dye, not cheap rattle can stuff ☺ Will last many years.

PlainfieldCharger: Thank you ☺

1970Moparmann

My name is Mike and I'm a Moparholic!

PlainfieldCharger

Quote from: ht4spd307 on July 30, 2016, 10:07:35 AM
i wouldn't recommend spaying high wear areas like armrest & seats but would be ok for dash pieces hood linings depends on the usage  if you drive the car  daily wont last long but for a weekender it would be ok
I agree, I would purchase the correct color aftermarket armrest that are the correct color, The dash will be fine to re-color as your not touching it all the time. You would be surprised how much stress your elbow will put on the armrest and wear of the paint. Not sure how soft and supple your elbows are, mine are a little rough and scratchy almost sand paper like...LOL :icon_smile_big:

Mike DC

:Twocents: 

Don't spray an armrest.  Get it molded in color if you want it to hold up. 

johnnycharger

Here is my driver's side arm rest. I sprayed it a few years ago. I did not use any prep stuff- I just wiped it down with alcohol and sprayed it with SEM. If you do proper prep it should outlast this...