News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Dash lights and headlights "pulsing" ?????

Started by 71 Bee Man, April 16, 2006, 05:59:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

71 Bee Man

Any advice is appreciated, I've got a 71 Dodge Super Bee with a 383 auto.

I haven't had anyone even look at it yet, but I'm wondering why my headlights and dash lights seem to "pulse" when they're on ? They just go brighter/lighter/brighter etc.The word "pulse" is the only way to describe it. They do it at idle and whilst driving.

Any ideas ? They don't dim so you can't see them, they just surge and pulse. Light is good.

Peter
Sydney, Australia.
Add your details to the Forum members List. Visit this thread to find out more :
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,21133.240.html

67RedCharger

Peter, that sounds like the symptom for a regulator honking up.  Using a voltmeter, put it across the battery terminals and see if the voltage is pulsing from 12 volts to 14 volts, hoping your meter will be able to follow the pulses.  If the pulsing is too fast then the meter won't repsond. The bright cycle is when the regulator is providing 14.3 volts to the battery, and when it drops to 12 volts will be when the regulator is not offering a charge to the battery.

~ Don ~
Original Owner "Ole Red" 1967 Red Dodge Charger

71 Bee Man

Quote from: 67RedCharger on April 16, 2006, 06:21:16 AM

Peter, that sounds like the symptom for a regulator honking up.  Using a voltmeter, put it across the battery terminals and see if the voltage is pulsing from 12 volts to 14 volts, hoping your meter will be able to follow the pulses.  If the pulsing is too fast then the meter won't repsond. The bright cycle is when the regulator is providing 14.3 volts to the battery, and when it drops to 12 volts will be when the regulator is not offering a charge to the battery.

~ Don ~

Thanks Don,

I'll give it a try in the morning. I'm hoping it's something as simple as that. It's not like I don't have lights or power, you can just visibly notice the lights going brighter and softer whilst they're on.

Peter. :icon_smile_big:

Add your details to the Forum members List. Visit this thread to find out more :
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,21133.240.html