News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

My Daytona Clone

Started by Fin Day, July 22, 2016, 05:02:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fin Day

Hello all,

I just joined this forum - been lurking in the shadows for several years though ( and shamelessly been using all the great knowledge and pics as references when building my version of Daytona).
During the buil up i did not take too many pics, don´t know why i didn´t and now regret it....

i bought the Charger in ´90, already a previous owner had changet the original 383 to a 440 six pack.
The original green was long gone and the car was white with blue stripe when i got it.

the first pic here is from late 90´s with new repaint over the last one, new vinyl roof, new wider tires - looks quite nice in the pic but the truth is that the super cheap repaint is just as good as the price was...

Dave Kanofsky

Welcome!
That was a sweet looking ride to begin with...so how far along are you?
"God sent his Son into the world not to judge the world, but to save the world through him." John 3:17, NLT

Racers For Christ Chaplain (www.teamrfc.org)

tan top

Quote from: Fin Day on July 22, 2016, 05:02:03 AM
Hello all,

I just joined this forum - been lurking in the shadows for several years though ( and shamelessly been using all the great knowledge and pics as references when building my version of Daytona).
During the buil up i did not take too many pics, don´t know why i didn´t and now regret it....

i bought the Charger in ´90, already a previous owner had changet the original 383 to a 440 six pack.
The original green was long gone and the car was white with blue stripe when i got it.

the first pic here is from late 90´s with new repaint over the last one, new vinyl roof, new wider tires - looks quite nice in the pic but the truth is that the super cheap repaint is just as good as the price was...

:wave:  :2thumbs: :cheers:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Stevearino

Can't wait for pictures. :yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod:

Ryan.C

subscribed.  :2thumbs: I love aero cars! (real or fake no matter)
There are few problems in life that cannot be solved with C-4.

Dino

Looks like my car! Can't wait to see the build.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

PasiR

Fin Day

Thanks for the kind replies !

I try to add pics everyday - so the build up will be quite fast.
Actually took about ten years to complete.
There were a couple of years when nothing much happened, it sat at the painters for quite long time, i did a little house renovering - i have to think a little more to find some more very good excuses...

Anyway, here is a pic were it looks like not much has happened but actually this was quite a big change:
One badge outside, but it meant 471" Hemi from Ray Barton, reinforced 727 and dana60.

djcarguy

Fin Day

Fast forward a couple of years....

I did have one very eventful year :
I enjoyd the Hemi Charger as much as anyone can - some car shows, car happenings all over Finland, attended the big european gathering at Västerås, Sweden, tried a little roadcourse driving ( where I found out that with 11,5" discs front and drums in the back just were insufficient - the brakes faded arter a lap or two ending that fun too soon). Tried the car a couple of times in the strip were the best was 11,5 / 120. Last one was disastrous - a lifter broke -> some bent & broken valves, couple broken pistons and severe damage to the heads.
Did not touch the car for a couple of months...

Eventually the engine was lifted and we started to think what now ?
Thought that this is the perfect time to do the car over - complete dissambly, blasting and building it better than it ever was.
Then we got the idea : what would it take to change the car to a Charger 500 clone ?
We had not seen one 500, Daytona or even a Superbird live at that point....

I was a member at Moparts.com and asked one member would it be possible to take a few pics and measurements of his car and sent them to me ?
I was overwhelmed when the answer was : no problem !!!
It took him a couple of days to make the arrangements and then my e-mail was full of pics inside the trunk and inside the car to try to explain how the back window is located. Also very good measurements were provided to me. It is still unbelievable how some people are willing to help others they have never met and ask nothing for me in return !

Here is a pic of the car dissassembled, blasted and possibly started the back glass makeover

Fin Day

Another year or so has passed and the story goes on....

The Vegahatch assembly nearly done I found out that you could actually get the parts to go all the way building a Daytona.
So, the gameplan changed and now we were doing a first Daytona clone in finland.
Contacted Ted Janak and ordered all the parts he made - thought that it covered everything - all the big parts were there but some little parts, nuts, bolts, vacuum harness etc. did not.
Allways looking for more knowledge I then found out about Dayclona and member Mike here.

We were a little puzzled (or quite alot) with all the parts and how they are assembled -> we wanted to see a real Daytona !
That was easy, ordered plane tickets and off to -05 Mopar Nats.
There we saw a couple of Daytonas + Superbirds + Janak + Mike (Thanks again for the parts you brought to the Nats for me !).
At the Nats the people I met were all more or less helpful and had more or less time to answer all my questions.
That helped a lot but most was forgotten when home - total sensor overload !
The most helpful was when Mike sent me the instructions how to assemble the nose cone done by Dave Patik.

A couple of pics:
My project with Vega hatch assembled, Janak parts - what ? how ? where ?, We were there !

DAY CLONA

Hei stipendiaatti Mopar innokas harrasstaja,

Hope I got that right?

It's been a few years, glad to see you here! looking forward to some pics of your Daytona

Mike

Fin Day

Quote from: DAY CLONA on July 28, 2016, 05:26:00 PM
Hei stipendiaatti Mopar innokas harrasstaja,

Hope I got that right?

It's been a few years, glad to see you here! looking forward to some pics of your Daytona

Mike

Hello Mike,
Sure has been a few years, hope that you are doing great !
I am suprised that you even remember our visit - maybe you are not so often talking to a couple of super eager enthusiasts from northern Europe...

A couple more pics:
now the metal work is done and the last test fitting of nose cone and wing (and of course doors etc. were tested) before painting

hemi68charger

Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

Fin Day

Thanks !

I can only hope that the comments will be as positive as they have been so far....
Now we started to paint the car and I can say that the color choice has not been to everyones liking here so let´s see how you all take it.
Also I wanted to drive this car which meant big breaks -> not original diameter rims.
Engine bay is not original type restoration etc....

first, Base urethane done in our shared garage

Fin Day

Two pics from the paint shop

Fin Day

A couple more.
First one is a couple of days after it was painted. Don´t remember if the clear was on at this point or did someone just sand something near it and the dust settled on the car. I remember that i thought that what the he.. did not look like that when i chose the color. A couple of days more and it was cleaned up and ready to move back to our garage....and looked much better.

Anyone want to guess what color this is ?
Hint: it is a Mopar color.

tan top

Quote from: Fin Day on August 08, 2016, 05:52:41 AM
A couple more.
First one is a couple of days after it was painted. Don´t remember if the clear was on at this point or did someone just sand something near it and the dust settled on the car. I remember that i thought that what the he.. did not look like that when i chose the color. A couple of days more and it was cleaned up and ready to move back to our garage....and looked much better.

Anyone want to guess what color this is ?
Hint: it is a Mopar color.

looks good ,  :2thumbs: :coolgleamA:

Red ?  :scratchchin:   my first guess was the late model Chrysler inferno red ,  although looks a little dark   on my screen ......  :shruggy:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Dave Kanofsky

"God sent his Son into the world not to judge the world, but to save the world through him." John 3:17, NLT

Racers For Christ Chaplain (www.teamrfc.org)

djcarguy

Fin Day

Atleast 1/2 point maybe 1- goes to Tan Top.
It is understandably hard to see on screen the exact color.
I am not even sure if there is a difference between my color and inferno red.
Anyhow this is PR6 Primal Red from 01-03 color chart.

More pics:
First had to see how the stripe fits with the color.
Then added some chrome around it - bumper, wheelvell chrome etc.

Fin Day

Oops, wrong picture....
How do i change it when i have already posted ?
Let´s try with another post.

Stevearino

That is just jaw droppingly gorgeous. I love that color.
:coolgleamA: :coolgleamA: :coolgleamA: :yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod:

djcarguy