News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Fuel Oil Temp Alt Gauge: remove rivets or remove needles? - 69 Charger

Started by Johnnys440Charger, July 22, 2016, 09:56:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Johnnys440Charger

I'm restoring my cluster.  Putting new decals in thread: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,124814.0.html

Not sure what I should do: 
Remove the rivets and keep the needles on the Fuel Temp Oil Alt gauges
OR
Remove the needles?

Johnnys440Charger

Removing the Needles:

Next we need to remove the indicator needles of the FUEL/OIL/TEMP gauges. A magnifying lens, two small jeweler's screwdrivers and a small pair of needlenose pliers is all it takes. From the pictures use the two jeweler's screwdrivers together. One to hold the metal needle pivot prong with the thin gauge wire wrapped around it and the second to slide the copper strip prong out of the wire loop that is attached to the needle. The first one you do will take a couple of minutes but once you get the technique the rest will only take a minute. Another technique is to use the jeweler's screwdriver to push on the copper metal contact prong, flexing it gently toward the upper gauge pivot prong until the wire loop of the needle simply unhooks from the upper prong. The needle can then be slipped off the lower copper prong and set aside.

Installing Needles:
Using needle nose pliers, grab the needle by the base above the metal loop and place the metal loop onto the COPPER spring contact. Using two jeweler's screwdrivers, place one on the black upper spring contact to steady it and use the other jeweler's screwdriver to push the copper spring contact continuing the needle lop towards the top contact. When the copper contact comes towards the other you will notice that the other side of the needle wire loop will simply slip onto the upper spring contact. Soon as the needle wire loop is held by both spring contacts the gauge is once again fully operational. Note that some TEMP gauge is reverse acting and the relative positions of the copper strip and the black wired strip are reversed, however the installation procedure above still applies.

A383Wing

I would remove the rivets and then use #2 machine screws and nuts to re-install the faces.

One wrong move with the needle in a pair of pliers and you can bend something out of whack....and maybe not get it back to specs again, so in the end, all your restore work on the faces will be for not because your gauge will never read right again...not that they ever read accurate from the factory anyway

Just 6T9 CHGR

When I did my decals way back, I followed Performance Car Graphics instructions by using a straw to protect /move the needles when I had to paint & apply my decals to the fuel/oil/temp/batt gauges :Twocents:
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Johnnys440Charger

Brock Lee

I used the straw trick as well. Just carefully lay the need in straw outside of the face and it will be fine.

Johnnys440Charger

I removed the rivets an bought small black button head socket screw fastners.  The red stuff is lock tight.