News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

69 Reverse Indicator Light - Dash - Removal / Troubleshooting

Started by WINGIN IT, July 24, 2016, 09:33:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WINGIN IT

How do you remove the 'Reverse' Indicator light attached to the dash?
Trying to figure out if it's bulb that is out or no power to the wire.

From feel it seems there is 1 wire ( Black with white tracer) coming from housing that goes to bulk head connector ( lower left hand corner when looking toward front of car) .
On engine side of bulk head that slot is blank ( no wire or connector ) .

So not sure what or how to check for power to bulb.
Already had it in reverse ( lights light up at rear of car)  but no indicator light. 

Looking at electrical diagram just confused me more.
I have a new reverse light harness as well, but it's not clear to me how to hook it up at the bulkhead.

Appreciate any insights.

BLK 68 R/T

Without looking at diagrams, I seem to remember the reverse light wiring going into the very top of the bulkhead connector, on the wiper plug?
The bulb socket on the reverse light should just pull out of the tube and you can test for power and change the bulb if needed.

Edit: I have a 69 service manual so I will take a look at the wiring diagram to verify where stuff goes.

nascarxx29

1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

WINGIN IT

Thanks for confirming it is the black wire with white tracer.
And will try just to remove bulb from housing from behind, and see if I can get it out without breaking anything.

When you say at the top of the connector on the bulkhead on the wiper plug, do you mean from inside the engine compartment?

BLK 68 R/T

Yes, from inside the engine compartment. The factory diagram shows the reverse light wires going to the top of the wiper plug, but it also says 4 speed console wiring and shows the black with tracer going to the very bottom plug as you described in your original post. At any rate, it should have power at the same time as the backup lights so it should be pretty easy to test. Good luck :cheers:

WINGIN IT