News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

What covers are these?

Started by Dino, July 24, 2016, 11:04:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dino

My original green seats are in very rough shape. The front panels on the front seats have been replaced at some time, very poorly as you can see, and there are rips and tears everywhere. There's one right next to the headrest so it's easy to see from the outside. The foam is also shot and I actually stuffed a small pillow through the large rip in the back of the cover to get some comfort.   :lol:

I can reuse pretty much all of my interior and dye it black except the covers. But at one point I want to do a full leather interior so I didn't want to invest too much right now and was actually looking for some plain black slip on covers. And then I ran into these black covers on Ebay. I made an offer of $75 and got them a few days later. They cleaned up real nice, no rips or tears, and they come with all the buttons and metal clip on thingies. They have the holes for the headrests so I'll have to be careful when installing those so they don't rip because the holes are pretty close to the edge of the headrest hardware.

They seem to be well made and will certainly serve the purpose, especially for the price! Two things are missing though: no loop in the center for a listing wire and no stitched band across the back just below the headrests. Now those are easy enough to add and I can even use the ones from my stock seats, but it makes me wonder what brand these are? I'm pretty sure PUI covers have the stitched band, although they may not have the loop for the listing wire.

Any ideas? I'm going to need a set of rear seat covers so I should probably find a match for these to, hopefully, ensure color consistency.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Dino

one more

tan top

cant help with whos covers they are , but the seat buttons & retaining hardware look like original OEM to me ,  :yesnod:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Dino

Retaining hardware! Yeah that sounds better than metal clip on thingies.   :lol:

I have to say the covers look to be pretty well made. These are used but they are solid and seem to be as thick as the stock covers but it's hard to be sure as those are still installed.

I'm even wondering if I should bother to stitch the belt on the back. I probably will since that's how they were originally but honestly nobody's ever going to see them anyway.

I looked at a bunch of pictures of front seats and I think I may leave the center loop off and not pin it to the frame. I don't care much for that dip in the middle look and prefer it to look a bit puffy. Here's some pics to show what I mean. First two are indented, next two are not. I may get the foam buns and add extra foam on top to make them a little extra puffy!

Of course I may have to pin the center down so the cover can't move, I don't know. But in that case I can make the loop go deeper so I don't have to put much tension on the cover. I'll have to figure that out.

PlainfieldCharger

I would have to agree with you on the center loop. The seat looks much better even across with no dip. :2thumbs:

70 sublime

If the center loop pulls down on the cover to help keep it tight
I wonder if over time and lots of use the bottom cover with stretch and be loose and have wrinkles so the center pull will help it keep looking better longer
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

Dino

Quote from: PlainfieldCharger on July 24, 2016, 01:21:51 PM
I would have to agree with you on the center loop. The seat looks much better even across with no dip. :2thumbs:

Yeah it just looks odd with that dip. Especially when it's really deep.

Quote from: 70 sublime on July 24, 2016, 01:24:55 PM
If the center loop pulls down on the cover to help keep it tight
I wonder if over time and lots of use the bottom cover with stretch and be loose and have wrinkles so the center pull will help it keep looking better longer

That's a good point. These covers do have some wrinkling in them. They go away as soon as you stretch them but I'm sure they will return once the foam degrades. Having the center attached may prevent or minimize that. Either that or I'd have to remove some hog rings and re-tighten the cover.

Oh well, I won't have time to work on the car for a while to come so plenty time to figure out the details!