News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Mary's Superbird...a Cars in Barns story!!!

Started by Beep Beep Dave, April 16, 2006, 08:04:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beep Beep Dave

Wow I just stumbled on this, I didn't think this one was ever going to get fixed but....

http://public.fotki.com/superbird440/automotive/marys_superbird/

Appearently the original owners son is restoring it!!!

Dave
'69-1/2 SIXPACK/SIXBBL REGISTRY On-Line Registry for the Lift Off Hood cars!!!
Maple Leaf Mopars your Canadian Mopar site.

1970 Charger R/T

mikepmcs

Someone is doing some nice work on that car, it looks awesome!!!
:scope: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :bow: :bow: :METAL: :METAL: :METAL: :METAL:
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

adauto

Never too many! 70 Chally R/T Convert-70 GTX-68-69-74 Charger-68 Dart GTS

http://a-dauto.com/  http://www.facebook.com/pages/A-D-Truck-and-Auto-Parts/67427352555?ref=hl

bull

What's the deal with this hood?

MetallicA

looks like they are making a brand new hood for it, if im not mistaken, didnt they use 70 coronet hoods for the origonal superbirds?

69_500

Looks like it is coming along really nice too.

Glad to see that the next generation of some of the origional owners of these cars are actually interested in them. That way not all of these cars will wind up in some investors hands.

73rallye440magnum

I think they used Coronet fenders, but I'm not sure about the hood. My book is at school otherwise I could look it up quick.
Current- 70 Charger XH29G Y3, F8, F8

Past- '73 Rallye U code, '69 Coronet 500 vert, '68 Roadrunner clone, XP29H8, XP29G8

hotrod98

Yes, they used 70 coronet hoods. The front edge had to be removed and a lower and upper piece was attached. For my super bird, I'm using a 70 R/T coronet hood. Here's a pic of the hood that I'm using and the pieces to convert it.
The 70 coronet fenders are altered as well. The lower flap in front of the wheel opening is removed and the top peak at the front has a piece added to make the peak taller to match the bird nose.

Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
Charles Addams

Brock Samson

Ghoste

That's cool to see.  So many of these cars are saved by owners who hope to pass them on to their kids and when the time comes, the kids just sell them off because it's nothing but a silly old car that dad used to screw around with.

hemi68charger

That's awesome.... I hope someone can tell them the valve covers are swapped and on the wrong sides.........   :-\

Troy
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

BigBlockSam

at least they make that piece now. when  i built my old superbird clone in the late 80's, you just cut the front of the hood off a 70 coronet hood and made it fit. it kinda looked correct but was a little off. Rene
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

69_500

Yeah back in the 80's there wasn't too much in the way of parts to clone any of the winged cars. Then again in the early 80's there really wasn't a need or a demand to make clone parts. The real winged cars were definately cheap enough anyone who really wanted one could have afforded one in the early 80's.

Highbanked Hauler

Quote from: Ghoste on April 17, 2006, 01:26:28 AM
That's cool to see.  So many of these cars are saved by owners who hope to pass them on to their kids and when the time comes, the kids just sell them off becuase it's nothing but a silly old car that dad used to screw around with.
depends on the kid.I told mine to sell the 500 when I go toes up.He told me the car will stay in the family till he dies and with the look in his eyes when he said that I am quite sure  he will do it.
69 Charger 500, original owner  
68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

BigBlockSam

Quotedefinately cheap enough anyone who really wanted one could have afforded one in the early 80's. 

i couln't but i was wing crazy. so i turned a roadrunner into a wing car. home made wing and nose. it looked pretty good . i wish i would have took some pictures of it. Rene
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

Ghoste

Quote from: Highbanked Hauler on April 18, 2006, 09:08:29 PM
depends on the kid.I told mine to sell the 500 when I go toes up.He told me the car will stay in the family till he dies and with the look in his eyes when he said that I am quite sure  he will do it.

That's cool.  I just get so saddened at the auctions I work when I see somebody with a family heirloom that was important to their father and to them it's just junk taking up space in the garage.  The fact that it might be valuable junk is just a lucky coincidence.
I suppose the moral of the story is to involve your kids so they have a sentimental attachment to these things.

69_500

Well I can tell you this much Al, your son is a good man in my book. I wish that my dad had held on to any of his old cars, and I can tell you this much I don't care how high the values of these cars go I still intend on driving mine while I have them. And I also intend to hang on to my 500 until I pass on. The only way I'd let loose of it is for the remote possibitly of getting a wing car instead. However I intend to have both at once somewhere along the way.

THE CHARGER PUNK

if i could have any aero mopar it would have been 69500's dads old turquiose vinyl top q5 charger 500 that car looks wicked from what i can tell from the pics-MATT

TruckDriver

Quote from: Stratocharger on April 16, 2006, 08:41:03 PM
never knew that..  :popcrn:

I didn't know that either. I thought they just welded in these hood scoops

PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

69_500

I'd love to have the Q5 500 back that my dad used to own. I tried quite a few times to buy it back of the owner now, to no avail.

Arthu®

Quote from: DodgeChargerGuy on April 21, 2006, 10:50:13 PM
Quote from: Stratocharger on April 16, 2006, 08:41:03 PM
never knew that..  :popcrn:

I didn't know that either. I thought they just welded in these hood scoops

I never expected it would look that good. That actually doesn't look half bad.

Arthur
Striving for world domination since 1986

hotrod98

Another pic of that r/t style hood. Too bad all superbirds didn't have that hood.

The scary part is going to be when I start cutting on that rare r/t hood. ::)

Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
Charles Addams

hemigeno

Yeah, but it'll be worth the risk.  Even though I don't personally care for the look of the nose/grille on '70 Coronets & 'Bees, I do love those scoops.  It's a great touch on a Superbird too.

Just keep that hand steady!   :icon_smile_big:

69charger2002

those scoops look awesome on the superbird! never seen that on one before.. i love it
trav
i live in CHARGERLAND.. visitors welcome. 166 total, 7 still around      

http://charger01foster.tripod.com/