News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Vacuum headlight question

Started by J-440, July 24, 2016, 07:51:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J-440

Been chasing a headlight door bug for awhile now.  Everything is new from the dash switch to the headlight pods.  When the engine is running, there is so much vacuum (17psi) that my switch will not move at all.  When I pinch the small hose that goes to the canister, the switch will work and the lights come on but the doors will not open.  When I let go of the hose, the doors open.  This also works the same turning the lights off.  I've tried the small plastic hose reducers in the line to the canister but I get the same results.  This is not a stock motor so I'm assuming I'm pulling more vacuum than a factory 440. 
  Would a vacuum reducer valve work from a parts store or am I missing something?  Thanks.
68 R/T, 440/727 6-speed, SC G-machine...black suede

68 RT

I have 18 inches @ idle and don't have any problems. Sounds like a vacuum line is hooked up wrong or you have a bad switch.  :cheers:

cdr

try lubricating the vacuum part of the switch, the rubber seals are binding under vac.
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

J-440

Great, the joys of working behind the dash. Thanks for the help guys.
68 R/T, 440/727 6-speed, SC G-machine...black suede