News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Brake system light on??

Started by superbird6bbl, July 25, 2016, 06:08:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

superbird6bbl

My Brake light system light stays on. Brakes work fine and I made sure that the emergency brake was released fully.
Superbird6bbl, 69 Q5 SIX PACK Bee and 2011 Challenger SRT8 IE

maxwellwedge

Check the plug at the brake distribution block under hood.....and check the connection/switch at the emergency brake inside the car.

Dave Kanofsky

Mine had picked up this habit too last year.

I cleaned the connection at the distribution block with a small wire brush and contact cleaner and it seems to be better now.

"God sent his Son into the world not to judge the world, but to save the world through him." John 3:17, NLT

Racers For Christ Chaplain (www.teamrfc.org)

WINGIN IT

Not too familiar with the B-body light,  but can't it also come on if you are low on brake fluid?

flyinlow

The light comes on when either the parking brake switch or the metering block switch grounds the circuit. So unplug them one at a time and see which switch is causing it. If you unplug both and the light is on the wiring has found a ground somewhere.

Charger_Fan

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

WINGIN IT

Is it only to indicate the emergency brake is on?

flyinlow

Its been a while since I had a car that had the metering block switch that worked, but when you pressed on the brake and there was enough difference in pressure front/ rear  to move the valve off center the light came on.  Usually a leak in the system. When the cars where young I thought the valve re centered when you let off the brake pedal. In their old age (350 in human years)  the valve may stick or require bleeding to re center.  :shruggy:

superbird6bbl

Quote from: maxwellwedge on July 25, 2016, 07:46:56 AM
Check the plug at the brake distribution block under hood.....and check the connection/switch at the emergency brake inside the car.
Thank you. I will check both areas.  PJ

superbird6bbl

Quote from: Dave Kanofsky on July 25, 2016, 08:12:12 AM
Mine had picked up this habit too last year.

I cleaned the connection at the distribution block with a small wire brush and contact cleaner and it seems to be better now.
I will check that area and do what you suggested. PJ

superbird6bbl

Quote from: flyinlow on July 25, 2016, 09:28:14 AM
The light comes on when either the parking brake switch or the metering block switch grounds the circuit. So unplug them one at a time and see which switch is causing it. If you unplug both and the light is on the wiring has found a ground somewhere.
Thank you. Will do.  PJ

superbird6bbl

Quote from: flyinlow on July 25, 2016, 09:33:59 PM
Its been a while since I had a car that had the metering block switch that worked, but when you pressed on the brake and there was enough difference in pressure front/ rear  to move the valve off center the light came on.  Usually a leak in the system. When the cars where young I thought the valve re centered when you let off the brake pedal. In their old age (350 in human years)  the valve may stick or require bleeding to re center.  :shruggy:
Thank you. If the other suggestions don't work, I will try that. PJ

superbird6bbl

Quote from: WINGIN IT on July 25, 2016, 07:36:29 PM
Is it only to indicate the emergency brake is on?
I am not sure. It says brake System.

5hunert

I picked up a weird one.  My brake light will come on when applying the brakes when high underhood temperatures exist (like getting stuck in traffic on a really hot day).  Thoughts?

303 Mopar

Mine kept coming on intermittently so I just took the bulb out.    :icon_smile_big:
1968 Charger - 1970 Cuda - 1969 Sport Satellite Convertible

thehemikid

Sometimes you can pull up on the E-brake peddle with your foot and the light goes out,...showing the switch needs adjusting.

John_Kunkel

Quote from: 5hunert on July 26, 2016, 09:11:28 AM
I picked up a weird one.  My brake light will come on when applying the brakes when high underhood temperatures exist (like getting stuck in traffic on a really hot day).  Thoughts?

Brake fluid boiling?
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Dino

Quote from: 5hunert on July 26, 2016, 09:11:28 AM

Mine did this when the fluid got low, but braking performance noticeably deteriorated as well.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.