News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Front-end knock when hot - steering, suspension or something else?

Started by theseoldcars, July 26, 2016, 02:58:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

theseoldcars

Morning all (well, it is here, at least)...

Got an odd problem with my PAS-equipped '68. When it's been driving around for an hour and a bit or so, and fully up to temp, I start getting a pronounced knock from the front end.

It doesn't seem to do it in the dead-ahead, only when it hits something - and I'm pretty sure it's steering related.

I've had a gander underneath and nothing looks out of place (I've yet to do the same when hot, alas), but I thought I'd just ask in case someone had experienced the same. It sounds like it's coming from the column/box area but it might be a balljoint or something. Perhaps a top balljoint that doesn't have enough grease? Something in the steering coupling?

Any suggestions?

Cheers,

Lewis

68Charger4me

I had a lower shock bolt loosen up and it made a cracking noise when I hit a bump.

PlainfieldCharger

My strut rod bushing were bad causing a clunk from time to time. :Twocents:

lukedukem

this is very weird its happening when it gets hot.  :scratchchin:

Luke
1969 Charger XP29F9B226768
1981 CJ7 I6 258ci
2016 F150, 5.0, FX4, CC

theseoldcars

Quote from: lukedukem on July 26, 2016, 08:24:20 AM
this is very weird its happening when it gets hot.  :scratchchin:

Luke

That's what baffles me! Is the coupling in the column heavily greased? I wondered whether it's overheating after a while and getting loose (I've not looked at it much, so don't know if it's possible), or something cockeyed like that. Or an engine mount softening and sagging?

I'm going to get the car out tomorrow, run it and see if there's anything obvious amiss. Did look previously but couldn't spot anything.

Whatever happens, I'll keep you posted!