News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

fuel gauge don't work right... IS THERE A WAY TO CALIBRATE IT ??

Started by Highbanked Hauler, July 26, 2016, 07:00:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Highbanked Hauler

74 Challenger,   EVERYTHING has been replaced.  New gas tank and new stainless steel sender unit. Complete new wiring harness,whole car and the gas gauge doesn't work so I put a new gauge in it and it STILL DOESN'T WORK..   I grounded the sender unit and the gauge panel figuring that might be it,still nothing.  Ideas ?   Is there a way to diagnose  the problem ?? :brickwall: :brickwall:
69 Charger 500, original owner  
68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

70 sublime

Did you try a test light on the wire under the car by the gas tank just to make sure you have power that far ?
(when all the wires have been apart just to make sure)
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

Highbanked Hauler

Quote from: 70 sublime on July 26, 2016, 08:10:09 AM
Did you try a test light on the wire under the car by the gas tank just to make sure you have power that far ?

Do you mean the blue wire that presses onto the sender for the gauge ? There is no power going to it is there ? I checked it with a volt meter and nothing.
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

70 sublime

The wire at the tank is a grounder wire so you should see something there
Back track till you find where there is power

Dmichels

try grounding the wire going to the sender if the gauge moves then the tank is not grounded
68 440 4 speed 4.10

Highbanked Hauler

Quote from: Highbanked Hauler on July 26, 2016, 09:17:17 AM
Quote from: 70 sublime on July 26, 2016, 08:10:09 AM

Do you mean the blue wire that presses onto the sender for the gauge ? There is no power going to it is there ? I checked it with a volt meter and nothing.

I never look for the small stuff first :brickwall:  dumber than dog crap here.  I DIDN'T CHECK THE FUSE. now it works fine. :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol:
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

70 sublime

Nacho-RT74

Can't tell on E bodies, but if your fuel gauge didn't work due a blown fused, then you wouldn't get any gauge working...
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

Highbanked Hauler

Quote from: Nacho-RT74 on July 27, 2016, 06:44:04 AM
Can't tell on E bodies, but if your fuel gauge didn't work due a blown fused, then you wouldn't get any gauge working...

Non rally dash, the temp gauge still doesn't work but the amp meter has right along for obvious reasons but I can't figure out what else is on that circuit.
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

Nacho-RT74

Ammeter is an independent gauge from the rest.

But fuel temp and oil shares same circuit ( everyone from same voltage limiter ) so same fuse.
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

Highbanked Hauler

Is there a way to calibrate the gauge ?   It is hooked up and the sender is grounded and the gauge reads full and the tank shouldn't be more than half full ...
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

poppa

God must love stupid people....he made a sh**load of 'em....

Matco tools...guaranteed for a lifetime. Just not a human lifetime.