News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

How do i know if the alternator are faulty?

Started by bobfist, July 27, 2016, 04:10:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bobfist

Hi!

We are done with my charger 69 after 8 years of factory restoring my rt/se
But we are having some strange things happening with my alternator.
Absolutly everything is new on the car and everything are built as from factory back in 1969 since it will be a factory showcar
What happends is common on mopar i know but now i have been burning three voltregulators on idle....
I run the one wire alternator and we use only mech regulators. if i rev the engine it throw 16 v to the battery
we have very good ground to what needs ground so can i have a faulty alternator and how can i measure if its internaly shorten?

www.bobfist.com
Muscle Car Restorations & Reproduction
Sweden

b5blue

Mech. regulators can be adjusted. By saying one wire alt most assume a GM type that is internal regulated and goes to battery. (?) Do you mean single field Mopar type alt. (?) They have a main output wire and one field connection and are prone to not having much power at idle. When you raise RPM's output jumps quite a bit. Be certain all ground wires and all connections are very good.

DAY CLONA

Quote from: bobfist on July 27, 2016, 04:10:11 PM
Hi!

We are done with my charger 69 after 8 years of factory restoring my rt/se
But we are having some strange things happening with my alternator.
Absolutly everything is new on the car and everything are built as from factory back in 1969 since it will be a factory showcar
What happends is common on mopar i know but now i have been burning three voltregulators on idle....
I run the one wire alternator and we use only mech regulators. if i rev the engine it throw 16 v to the battery
we have very good ground to what needs ground so can i have a faulty alternator and how can i measure if its internaly shorten?

By 1 wire I'll assume you mean only one field brush?...If so, I'd switch over to the mechanical looking voltage regulators that have modern electronic internals if stock appearance is your goal, the stock mechanical VR's in my opinion are often fraught with charging issues