News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

new head opinions

Started by Stegs, August 03, 2016, 07:36:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stegs

Hi guys, some of you may know that last year i had my 440 redone. it was bored .30 over with some new pistons. I was told they were 9.5 compression pistons, but it turns out its more like a 8.7:1 motor (according to Ron who has all my specs in what they did)

I trust his opinion very much. He along with many others suggest going with eddy e street heads with a 75cc to bump up my compression.

Looking to purchase these heads i found trick flow heads that have 78cc.

My questions are:

1. will going from 75 to 78 make a difference?
2. how does trick flow compare to edelbrock as far a quality/fit/finish/reliability?

the trick flow heads are a little cheaper, but im wondering if thats because they arent as nice as the eddy heads? or doesnt come ready to "bolt on" like the edelbrocks? :shruggy:

I know very little about this kind of stuff, so i want your expert opinions....

Ron mentioned the e street heads, which i can go with and reuse my intake, manifolds etc for now, until I upgrade that over the winter or next spring

I just want to get my compression up there...i think that will make me more power by more compression and flowing more right?

Let me know....again im no expert...just curious on what you guys think!!

EDIT : I feel stupid...i thought the trickflow heads were for a pair....they are not. I feel so dumb right now. They are way out of budget!! sorry to waste your time!!

c00nhunterjoe

I would buy a pair of stealths and have them and your intake milled.

Challenger340

Everything works together in the combination
That said,
CAMSHAFT can be just as critical to utilizing any increased Airflow or Compression new heads may supply, and while a simple Head swap may increase static Compression Ratio, your 8.7:1 smogger cast Pistons(if even that high) are undoubtedly still .090"+ Down from the deck at TDC, which when combined with any Composition style Head Gasket at .040" thickness equal a total quench distance well in excess of 1/8" of an inch.(very poor cylinder purge/scavenging on Cam overlap)

I tell you this NOT to ruin your day, or discourage you.....
but to try and stress the importance this time, of not JUST applying Heads thinking "all with be well" as a fix, without proper knowledge and understanding of how EVERYTHING works together.... especially Cam and Heads !

Before you make anymore mistakes, and given the excessive Quench distance that will exist no matter WHAT Head you choose....
* I would highly suggest you post the Cam you are contemplating using with whatever Head ? And get some valid advice.

Yes, "normally"..... and within "normal" sub .050" or so quench distances..... an Aluminum Head swap can be undertaken with expectations to run up around 10:1 or even higher depending upon Camshaft with NO issues or detonation on Pump Gasoline.
However,
due to your remaining excessive quench distance Pistons to be re-used ? YOU can't do that and expect best results.
so,
Final Head Chamber CC selection and CAMSHAFT used will be critical.

PLEASE listen this time.... no mileage in this for me.

Please post your entire engine combination, Cam, Intake, Carb, Exhaust, etc., etc.
Only wimps wear Bowties !

Dino

Did you talk to the shop owner? It seems to me you asked for one thing and received another so should he not be making this right?
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

BSB67

Quote from: c00nhunterjoe on August 03, 2016, 01:46:03 PM
I would buy a pair of stealths and have them and your intake milled.

:iagree:

I think we beat on you hard enough back then.

Understanding that what ever you do. it won't be perfect, slapping on Stealths is probably your best option for the $ spent.

500" NA, Eddy head, pump gas, exhaust manifold with 2 1/2 exhaust with tailpipes
4150 lbs with driver, 3.23 gear, stock converter
11.68 @ 120.2 mph