News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Raise Rear Leaf Suspension

Started by RamZCharger, August 03, 2016, 11:22:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RamZCharger

Hello suspension experts, any safe acceptable way to raise the rear leaf suspension about 1"?  I have the Hotchkis leafs and shackles, went with 18" wheels and 295 tires and not only do I get some rub but the tires are just too much up into the quarters.  Appreciate suggestions . . .

Darren

RamZCharger

All, I think I have a solution.  Per Hotchkis if I revert to the stock hanger and a longer shackle I can get the room needed.  Per them the stock hanger by itself should give me 3/4".

Cheers, Darren

Troy

That's good to know. I don't have mine on the ground yet.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

RamZCharger

Update - couldn't get much clarity on stock shackles, seems they were the same size as what I was using.  My shop coincidentally was upgrading a 55 Bellaire to a 4-link, and the shackles looked about right for what I needed.  We tried it and it is perfect, gained probably over an inch of clearance and the 295 tires still looked tucked in nicely.  With a couple good size guys in the car on a fairly bumpy road no rub.

Back N Black

Quote from: RamZCharger on November 07, 2016, 11:07:28 AM
Update - couldn't get much clarity on stock shackles, seems they were the same size as what I was using.  My shop coincidentally was upgrading a 55 Bellaire to a 4-link, and the shackles looked about right for what I needed.  We tried it and it is perfect, gained probably over an inch of clearance and the 295 tires still looked tucked in nicely.  With a couple good size guys in the car on a fairly bumpy road no rub.

Good to know, do you have any pics?

RamZCharger

Quote from: Back N Black on November 07, 2016, 02:38:13 PM
Quote from: RamZCharger on November 07, 2016, 11:07:28 AM

Good to know, do you have any pics?

I don't have a picture of the shackle itself handy . . . but here is a picture of the rear tire holding full weight of the car, with a full tank of fuel.  Cheers, Darren

Back N Black

HPP

Ahh, the good old fashioned shackle lift.  It works, but keep an eye on the part of the spring closest to the shackle. They can flex and bend there. They also aren't too conducive to improved handling, so any serious side load and fold them. Just eyeball them now and again to make sure they are okay.

RamZCharger

Agree with HPP on this one.  Also wanted a tad more height, so we ended up building our own.  Used 1/4" plate and included a middle sleeve for additional crush strength.  All in cost was a whopping $30.

Lostsheep

I have the same issues going on. Put 295/50/15 on the rear with the Hotchkis leafs and shackles. Had the passenger fender rubbing a little bit on bigger bumps, got that fixed. But when the car is loaded down it still rubs to top of the inner fender well. I like the potential fix.  :thumbs:

68ChargerJMP

Quote from: RamZCharger on August 04, 2016, 04:09:08 AM
All, I think I have a solution.  Per Hotchkis if I revert to the stock hanger and a longer shackle I can get the room needed.  Per them the stock hanger by itself should give me 3/4".

Cheers, Darren

So, is this where they basically achieve the 1" lower height from, the hanger? I don't use the stock hanger anymore and I'm about ready to buy some springs. I don't want to spend $600 for lowered Hotchkis springs that just use the hanger hole location to get there, if I don't have to.

RamZCharger

Quote from: 68ChargerJMP on April 26, 2017, 02:20:06 PM
Quote from: RamZCharger on August 04, 2016, 04:09:08 AM

Cheers, Darren

So, is this where they basically achieve the 1" lower height from, the hanger? I don't use the stock hanger anymore and I'm about ready to buy some springs. I don't want to spend $600 for lowered Hotchkis springs that just use the hanger hole location to get there, if I don't have to.

I am not sure this is the case - when I compared the Hotchkis hanger with stock they wouldn't affect height.  I think the relocation hanger is designed to reduce roll steer more than stance and the height is achieved by the leafs themselves.  This is not consistent with my earlier note or comment directly from Hotchkis so it leave me still with a big ?.

HPP

Hotchkis uses a berlin eye on their springs as compared to the stock rolled spring eye. This creates around .75" drop right there. If their hanger is .75" lower , then their overall drop is 1.5"

Use a stock hanger with Hotchkis spring and you will be .75" lower than stock.

Use a Hotchkis hanger with a stock spring, and you will be .75" lower than stock.