News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Heater box rebuild vendors

Started by Puzbie, August 03, 2016, 09:33:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Puzbie

Has anyone worked with vendors who do complete heater box restorations?  I have a 69 with air and I am doing a complete rebuild.  I really don't want to tackle the heaterbox and I am definitely leery of just putting the old one back in since its almost 50 years old.

I talked to a couple of guys at Carlisle but wanted to get feedback from those who have already had the experience...

any feedback is appreciated

Puzbie

Dans 68

1973 SE 400 727  1 of 19,645                                        1968 383 4bbl 4spds  2 of 259

AFD 792

Get a nice seal kit from DMT, fill your phone full of pictures during tear down.
Boom.... Done

CDN72SE

Never used him (Mopar Rich - The Heater Box Guy) but have seen this site mentioned a few times. http://www.theheaterboxguy.com/index.html
1972 Charger SE

Puzbie

Thanks for the link...I think I talked to him @ Carlisle...This is just something within a complete rebuild that I don't think I want to tackle...Thanks again...

CDN72SE

Welcome, keep us posted as to what you end up doing.
1972 Charger SE

ODZKing

I used Richie, Heater Box Guy ... Extremely pleased. Even met me half way to drop off and pick up. Labeled all the hose ports, awesome guy.
Bob

Puzbie

Thanks Bob...Just curious was your car an A/C car? Does he redo all the vacuum parts on the outside? and does he redo the blower motor or at least go over it? or is that considered separate?  My car has sat for over 25 years so I'm leary of everything... :scratchchin: 

I'm glad I'm getting good feedback on this guy...I'll have to post the name of the second guy that i talked to and see if anyone had heard of him as soon as I can find his business card... he was out of Canada and worked through Wisconsin I think...

Thanks again!

ODZKing

Quote from: Puzbie on August 11, 2016, 11:32:22 AM
Thanks Bob...Just curious was your car an A/C car? Does he redo all the vacuum parts on the outside? and does he redo the blower motor or at least go over it? or is that considered separate?  My car has sat for over 25 years so I'm leary of everything... :scratchchin: 

I'm glad I'm getting good feedback on this guy...I'll have to post the name of the second guy that i talked to and see if anyone had heard of him as soon as I can find his business card... he was out of Canada and worked through Wisconsin I think...

Thanks again!
There is a place I see each year at Moparfest that is out of Canada, yes.  I don't remember the name but you can probably find it through the Moparfest web site.  They list all past years vendors.
As far as my car, yes it was an A/C car that the PO had taken everything under the hood out. They had also taken out the evaporator, no idea why ... it doesn't leak just holds air basically.
anyway, I found another heater box and between the two he made one good one including all the vacuum lines and valves. Marked everything clearly so when I went to put it back together it was very clear.
He did not do my motor and while I didn't ask, I would guess that is a separate animal, especially if it needs refurbishing. That would be more for a motor rebuild type of place.  However they are out there new unless you have to have the original for looks.
I had to replace everything under the hood with the Classic Auto Air setup ... THAT is another story.
But Richie did a great job, no complaints at all.

Puzbie

Thanks Bob!  My car is pretty much 100% original so I'm keeping it that way... at least 99%  I'm going with the wider magnum 500's when its ready for the road and little engine Chrome to keep the wife happy...  :icon_smile_big:  She's doing a lot of detail work on parts like the dash woodgrain and saving me big $$$

I appreciate the response I think I am leaning towards him as I can also meet him half way to drop it off...

ODZKing

Quote from: Puzbie on August 12, 2016, 12:02:20 PM
Thanks Bob!  My car is pretty much 100% original so I'm keeping it that way... at least 99%  I'm going with the wider magnum 500's when its ready for the road and little engine Chrome to keep the wife happy...  :icon_smile_big:  She's doing a lot of detail work on parts like the dash woodgrain and saving me big $$$

I appreciate the response I think I am leaning towards him as I can also meet him half way to drop it off...
He is in PA, where are you?

Puzbie

North of Pittsburgh...Butler area...where are you?

ODZKing

whitehatspecial

Really not a tough job, i just did mine. I used HVAC self adhering foam tap for the the various doors and for gasket material. It isn't very complicated as long as you have an intact assembly to start off with. The "witness" marks will show your were the gasket material was located. The foam the factory used was an open cell and was pretty much deteriorated on mine.

Good time to have you heater core tested for leaks while you have it apart. In purchased one on line from Autozone and it was a perfect match and copper.
Cars owned:
1968 Dodge Charger, 48k orig. miles, family owned since new.
Not a Hemi, a mini-hemi 340.