News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

discharging

Started by 266mopars, August 04, 2016, 08:25:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

266mopars

Got a question about  discharging hooked up a multimeter to car while it was running at idle measured 12.2 at battery 12.2 at alt. and 11.3 at voltage regulator  seemed low all around any idea what would be causing this ? it might have 500 miles on alt. and voltage regulator.gauge is at slight discharge while running,  big discharge with lights on . Any Ideas where the problem may be? I am  going to recheck the grounds this week to try to narrow it down but don"t think thats the issue. Thanks

lukedukem

What's it do when you rev it up. Low amp alternators where known for producing low output at idle. What year is your car

Luke
1969 Charger XP29F9B226768
1981 CJ7 I6 258ci
2016 F150, 5.0, FX4, CC

266mopars

dropped to 11.3 at alt. when revved.    turned off and with  battery charger on both measures 13.5 It is a 1966 with a petronix ignition in stock 440 distributor. any Ideas ? ? ?  Was 12.3 with out battery charger.

BLK 68 R/T

If you still have the stock wiring check the firewall connections on the bulkhead. Pull the connection apart and make sure both sides are clean with no corrosion, dirt or burns. Wouldn't be a bad idea to add some dielectric grease to the connection either.

Highbanked Hauler

Quote from: 266mopars on August 05, 2016, 03:00:16 PM
dropped to 11.3 at alt. when revved.    turned off and with  battery charger on both measures 13.5 It is a 1966 with a petronix ignition in stock 440 distributor. any Ideas ? ? ?  Was 12.3 with out battery charger.

Has it done it since the alt. was brand new or did it just start discharging ?  Is the alt. "new" or a rebuilt ? Mine went the other way and was putting out 16.5 volts till I put in an electronic type regulator and got rid of the original points type.  :shruggy:
69 Charger 500, original owner  
68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

266mopars

It was a new alt . and regulator was fine but recently started discharging. Not very many miles since car was restored maybe 800 miles at most.

266mopars

alt. had it tested is fine. checked grounds and firewall connections they are good  so I am getting voltage regulator today hopefully it fixes the problem.

266mopars

all fixed was voltage regulator