News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Wiring up a radiator pusher fan ?

Started by Highbanked Hauler, August 06, 2016, 07:43:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Highbanked Hauler

Since  my trans cooler covers 25% of the radiator I am planning to get a pusher fan to help with the overheating issue. With no fan or instructions yet I am thinking about running a hot wire through a fuse to the fan and a ground wire from the fan through a switch on the dash. Does this sound reasonable ? thanks..
69 Charger 500, original owner  
68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

b5blue

I used a relay to keep the feed wire as short as possible. Your switch would turn that on.  :scratchchin:

cdr

you can use the ground side of the relay for the switch.
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

Highbanked Hauler

Quote from: b5blue on August 06, 2016, 08:04:02 AM
I used a relay to keep the feed wire as short as possible. Your switch would turn that on.  :scratchchin:

Electrically challenged here,,   is a relay is a 4 pronged  inline switch ? If so that has to go in the hot line to the fan and the on/off switch is attached to one side of that switch and the ground goes to a convenient  bolt  ?
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

Dino

Pretty much yes. You ground the relay to any solid ground and run power from the battery or alt through a fuse to the relay. The other side then goes to the fan. Then wire in your switch to the relay so when you flick it it'll turn on the power to the fan. Easy peasy and it keeps the heat out of the dash switch.  :2thumbs:
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Highbanked Hauler

In reading the attached diagram it appears that you have 1 hot fused lead going to the relay and also power going through the on/off switch to the relay, correct ?
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

b5blue

The relay itself has a draw of less than an amp so the switch fuse requirement is so minimal it can be piggy backed off the fuse block inside the car, kinda the point of this setup. (Low load.) The power feed, it's fuse and relay are sized according to the demand of the fan/fans. (Normally fan "Start up" draw is highest factor.)  
This sight has interactive diagrams and super explanations of everything you could ever want to know.  
http://www.bcae1.com/